ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 stalling & revving a lot / the return of the king

CLS320 with a D6
It's been emotional.

My 172 cuts out a lot as I approach the lights and sometimes revs itself up to say 4-5k. This is intermittent and happens when the engine is up to temp or cold. It's completely random and I'm wondering what's up. I have replaced the ICV twice now, both times it has been much better afterward for a short while but this problem comes back.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers

Big Z

CLS320 with a D6
Have you cleaned the butterfly valve on the inlet?

I had done previously, but it didn't make any difference :(

Sounds like an air leak. Check all manifold connections, and for no split hoses.

Had a look yesterday, and there be a hose below the coil pack which runs to the n/s of the block, into the head. The coil pack end was just resting against the pipe, so I pushed it back on right up the hinge end. I've spoken to my accountant and I shall invest in a jubilee clip today for good measure as the fit wasn't as snug as my wife used to be. It was cutting out yesterday, but I'll wait until I've got Mr Jubilee on there today, and had another good look around as I have access to a garage today

Cheers guys

CLS320 with a D6
After securing the hose with a jubilee clip, the problem still occurs :(

I can hear a faint hissing noise around the head of the engine but can't seem to locate it, is it possible the rocker cover gasket is knackered?

53 Clio's & counting
Its the icv.

Buy a new genuine one and it will solve it.

Exactly the same symptoms 4 of mine had (first had it happen back in 2004) and I tried everything but the fact it revs itself means air is getting in but it won't be an air leak as it revs - ie a different amount of air going in making the rev.

You say you have replaced the icv - was this with new genuine parts or 2nd hand parts or ebay ones?

CLS320 with a D6
This is what I'm leaning towards, I bought one first from ebay - a new one but cheap sh1t about £12 sterling. It pretty much fell apart after a few months, then bought another one from a motor factors for about £50 but this wasn't genuine Renault.

I phoned Renault dealership in Ashford and the chap on the line said they don't sell them separately, I need a whole new plenum chamber for about £300. Any idea where I can get a genuine Renault one?