ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 starting and then cutting out straight away on start up

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
No warning no nothing as per usual.

Started the car this morning on the key no problem. Then when I went to start it later it started and died straight away after 3 or 4 attempts and still the same problem I have it a blip as starting it and it started fine and idled.

If I have the car running and turn it off it'll start straight away fine. It seems to be only after a couple minutes if not more it will need the throttle on a little to start.

Any ideas? Had a day planned fitting several bits but seems that's not happening now lol

Clio 172 ph2
having the same problem , but only when the temperatures are below -2-5 degrees. In other cases starts fine .
I have the TDC in my closed, didn`t fit it yet :)

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Well TDC sensor has been taken off and cleaned the build up off the pickup so we'll see how that goes. Failing that I'll start looking towards the idle control valve.

Also changed my coolant whilst I had airbox etc out of the way. Productive 40 minutes for once, fingers crossed I won't have to sit somewhere turning it over like a tit again. Ironically this all started outside GFS lol

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Lol. The symptons sound very much like mine were. I replaced, plugs, TDC sensor, cleaned thr throttle body and the culprit ended up being the ICV. To be fair that and the TDC sensor are not that expensive from the dealers

Dan

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Think Tdc is £30 odd quid so that's fine with me. I'm just hoping it's not an intermittent fault. I HATE THEM!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yep but unfortunatly thats renaults for you lol. Get the TDC replaced and work from there, process of allimination.

Dan

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Right still doing it.

Starts when cold perfectly, starts when it's at temp of started within a minute of turning it off. Leave it over a minute or two and it need throttle to start. If it were Tdc wouldn't it be the same irrespective of how much throttle I give it?

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
I'm really starting to push away from tdC. Once again started perfectly when Cold this morning. Got to work and went in. Came out 3-5 mins later and wouldn't start without a little throttle again

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
TDC sensor yes all cleaned and found proof of purchase on a service it had at Renault in 09 so its newish but I still can't see it being the Tdc, it wouldn't change anything giving it throttle if it were Tdc it wouldnt make any difference if I give throttle or not.

Going to the dealers tonight for a temp sensor and I'll go from there

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Yeah but as Suggested above, since it's fly by wire it doesnt have idle control valve??

Either way, the f**king things fine now. Went to Renault and got chatting to service, suggested they pop out and see for themselves an it worked straight away. Fine all last night too. Yay intermittent fault it appears. Plug it into diagnostic tonight and see if any errors have stored.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
And we are back here again! Got a TDC sensor just because they are common faults anyhow a couple weeks ago but the fault appeared today again. Wouldnt start after car had been left for 3-5 minutes, left the car for 10 mins and pop straight into life. No error codes on ECU either

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Nope, it's gone once again. Horrid intermittent fault I'm guessing. Not showing anything obvious on the fault codes. I've dug my head into the sand and shall ignore it for now lol

Guessing you are having the same issue?

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
have you tried cleanning out the throttle housing??

id start there

Aye done recently whilst I had elbow etc off. Annoying when it was happening often but now it's been a while I have sort of forgotten bout it for now. Only happened in the cold weather anyway so guessing it has something to do with fueling in cold weather?