ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Starting problems

I've got a problem starting my 02 172. When I turn the key the engine turns ok but doeson't start as if it is out of petrol. I've tested the petrol pump which is fine. Could be an immobiliser problem? Any suggestions?

Does the light on the dash stop flashing if so then its not an imobiliser issues if it stays on or flashes still tyhen its an imobiliser issue.

Thanks foy your reply. It started fine this morning -3 or 4th time though!! The stop light lights up constant when it is not starting.

I just had to fork out almost £100 for a new key from Renault, not a plesent experience going through the dealer system :(

Iv'e got two keys and I have the same problems with both. If it is an immobiliser problem will a new key solve the starting issues?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
cjay said:
Iv'e got two keys and I have the same problems with both. If it is an immobiliser problem will a new key solve the starting issues?
I have just last week had the same problem, the car would start intermittently, sometimes it would start 1st time, I would drive 2 miles stop then take 5 mins to start, other times it would take 2 - 5 mins to start. I also have the problem with the Serv, ESP and ABS lights coming on whilst trying to turn the engine over, I normally turn the key so the dashboard lights up, put on the seat belt then when the immob light has gone out start the car but I have noticed that although the above lights have gone out they light up when I start the car, Do you have the same prob or has anyone else noticed these particular lights comming on.

Anways my car was still under warranty (ends 16/05), luckily, and it turned out, according to the dealer to be a faulty TDC sensor, this sorted the startup probs but not the lights so its back in on Friday.

Hope this helps

Citroen DS3 DSport
My old VTS had a problem almost identical to that, it was diagnosed as faulty wiring at the starter motor and worked perfectly once rewired.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
My clio had this prob not that long ago... it wouldn't start at all!! turned out to be a dodgy fuel relay... e.g. it wouldn't prime the pump!

Megane 225+
Similar to my "old" problem.
I didnt go for the key recoding, as the probelm was so intermitent, I replaced the sensor around the ignition barrel - part was about £35 & took me 20mins to fit - no starting probs for a couple of months!

Chnage the sensor round the ignition barrel they commonly fail sounds like this is the problem if the lights not going off then the imobiliser not swithed off which usually points to the key pickup round the key fob being bust there easy to replace and not to pricy.

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2
cjay said:
I've got a problem starting my 02 172. When I turn the key the engine turns ok but doeson't start as if it is out of petrol. I've tested the petrol pump which is fine. Could be an immobiliser problem? Any suggestions?
Check with your mechanic, could be the TDC.

111s
Do a serch in 'Interior, ice, security....' section. Quite a bit in there regarding immobilliser problems. Mine turned out to be a dodgy key. But if your's won't start with either key i'd say its more likely to be the bit around the barrel.