ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Steering problem

Hi All,

Ok about a couple of weeks ago, some nice person damaged my front NS wing and I think it has damaged the steering. Not sure when, how or why, but very frustrating anyways!

The wing I can fix, but something seems wrong with the steering. I went and had the wheel alignment done today, and the NS wheel was out by a bit, so that is now sorted. The problem is, I have been driving round with something not feeling right with the steering for a while, I cant remember how it used to drive before! It generally feels like the front wheels want to wander around the road, i.e I pick up all sorts of tramlining through the steering, and kinda pull around a bit? I notice the steering is a lot sharper tho, but the back end does seem a little more twitchy that I remember.

Just wondered if the above is the sorta norm..if not, i dont know what to do next!

thanks in advance

Andrew

Quote: Originally posted by siroldvolks on 09 February 2004

It generally feels like the front wheels want to wander around the road, i.e I pick up all sorts of tramlining through the steering, and kinda pull around a bit?

Sounds like mine, and no steering damage.

Grab the wheel on 3 and 9 oclock and wobble it hard.....it shouldnt move, and any tiny amounts of play will be something in the steering system.

Volvo S60 T5

Check to make sure the track rod(steering arm) is not bent, they bend rather easy on clios, especially after a smack.

Look carefully as its not that easy to spot if its only a little bit

Thank guys - yeah I had 4 wheel laser alightment done today, so at least I know its set right now. I will have a go at the above, and check underneath to see if anything is bent. Jst knwoing something was/is wrong, makes me think there is a problem, even though it all maybe ok now!

Cheers :)

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

an allignment check is only about £50 and would show up any problems.im sure if you slipped them an extra tenner they would check all your balljoints etc as well whilst its on a ramp.