ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 struggling to engage reverse

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys,
Just recently, I've found my 172 Cup is struggling to engage reverse gear. The collar on the stick pulls up and springs back freely, exactly how it should feel going into reverse gear. But when lifting off the clutch I sometimes find myself going forwards rather than backwards!
Takes a few more attempts doing the exact same process and then eventually it'll go into reverse.

No crunching etc... any ideas?
Linkages, or something more serious?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Mine has been doing similar lately. More it's been a struggle to actually get it into reverse. I just put it down to the cold weather and the oil maybe being fairly thick still.

Either that or it's the linkage

Iceberg PH1 172
If it was me, in order of cost.

id visually check to see if the linkage had obviously moved positions at each end,
then maybe a fluid change to see if that cures it.
Outside chance . It could be a worn mount above the gbox or dogbone, but would expect trouble in all gears then really.

If it an internal gearbox issue id start expecting to rebuild or replace at some point.

Whip it into a friendly garage and see what they say .

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Mine has been doing similar lately. More it's been a struggle to actually get it into reverse. I just put it down to the cold weather and the oil maybe being fairly thick still.

Either that or it's the linkage

It is a strange one! Can't explain it as of yet. I'll let you know if I get anywhere

If it was me, in order of cost.

id visually check to see if the linkage had obviously moved positions at each end,
then maybe a fluid change to see if that cures it.
Outside chance . It could be a worn mount above the gbox or dogbone, but would expect trouble in all gears then really.

If it an internal gearbox issue id start expecting to rebuild or replace at some point.

Whip it into a friendly garage and see what they say .

Thanks for your help. Yep linkages are gonna be first port of call.
Can't see an oil change doing much, but I've got no idea when it was last done. So may as well get it done now, may solve it, who knows.
Did actually swap dogbone last week for Evol Engineering, so that did cross my mind.. but I'm pretty sure it's not fowling the gearstick.. so not sure!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Well my engine mount was loose not so long ago, so it may be that my gbox mount is also loose. I still need to get some threadlock bought for those.

monaco 172
Well my engine mount was loose not so long ago, so it may be that my gbox mount is also loose. I still need to get some threadlock bought for those.
Torque em to the correct torque, I've never had 1 come loose without threadlock

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Torque em to the correct torque, I've never had 1 come loose without threadlock
Im running solid engine mounts which I guess are creating more vibrations causing it to come loose?
I torqued it up the correct spec on the engine mount a couple of months ago and it was loose the other week.

monaco 172
Im running solid engine mounts which I guess are creating more vibrations causing it to come loose?
I torqued it up the correct spec on the engine mount a couple of months ago and it was loose the other week.
Fair enough lol. Never used solid mounts so can't comment