ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Turbo or 16v Turbo

Suzuki SV1000S

Guys am probably going to get the 172 Turbo conversion when it is finally ready (from BB) But just out of interest do you think the 172 Turbo will be much faster than the 16v Turbo. As obviously they will both be great fun and the 16v would just be a much cheaper option for probably the same amount of fun....

Suzuki SV1000S

Well I have driven a Subaru impreza when my bros had one and I liked that but not too practical in central London,

Tried out an RX-7 which was pretty good IN A Straight LINE.

They just arent as much fun as the MK1 172 I have, The Cup I had wasnt even as fun as my current car.

Guess this is just a personal choice mate. We will see, obvioulsy I will have to test drive there car first to see eh!

Obviously if you can think of another car that will be as fun to drive as a 250bhp+ clio then I am open to suggestions, Plus it needs to ideally fit into very small spaces for parking in the city, and also look as normal as possible..

Suzuki SV1000S

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 02 November 2004

George have you decided to keep the car this week?! ;) :D
Lol, I change my mind more than anyone I know lol! Because I keep thinking I should move out but then remember how damn much it costs to live in Central London, or anywhere for that matter. Looked at a basement Studio Flat the other week, was shocked to find out it was on the market for £190,000 and there was only enough room to fit a single bed in there. No point me moving out when I can walk to Leicester square in 5 mins - obviously takes longer when walking with David LOL

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by George16v on 02 November 2004

Well I have driven a Subaru impreza when my bros had one and I liked that but not too practical in central London,

They just arent as much fun as the MK1 172 I have, The Cup I had wasnt even as fun as my current car.

Guess this is just a personal choice mate. We will see, obvioulsy I will have to test drive there car first to see eh!

Obviously if you can think of another car that will be as fun to drive as a 250bhp+ clio then I am open to suggestions, Plus it needs to ideally fit into very small spaces for parking in the city, and also look as normal as possible..
An rx7 is pretty good is it??!! LOl It will destroy your 172 even if it had a turbo onit! 250 bhp front drive car no thanks! :sick:

How is it not more fun?u sure uve driven 1?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

unreliable, eats clutches, gearboxs etc!

may as well spend the money on a proper turbo car thats designed to handle the power! unless u have a bottomless bank account that is!

Suzuki SV1000S

Quote: Originally posted by Iain C on 02 November 2004

An rx7 is pretty good is it??!! LOl It will destroy your 172 even if it had a turbo onit! 250 bhp front drive car no thanks! :sick:
How is it not more fun?u sure uve driven 1?
I am talking about on a country lane round corners mate, I get bored quickly just going fast in a straight line!

I am not that bothered about moving to a turbo car, But in terms of fun per pound dont think you can beat a cli osport, so was thinking a turbod one would be awesome. What cars would you suggest then?

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..do the turbo george itl be original and defo fun, i feel a 6 pager coming on eh

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Get a Cossie.

You could get a mint Sierra or Sapph for what your 172s worth and they always put a smile on your face.

All you need is stage one and your laughing!

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

I think a standard looking 172/valver with more than 200 bhp would be great fun.....wouldnt pay more than 2.5k personally though.

172 GTR

Hey George, Im with you on the clio 172 turbo mate. I also want a car that looks discreet but goes like fcuk. I work as a property developer buying cheep terraced houses in deprived areas. If I took my Porsche or Merc to work theyd be keyed or jacked in no time. I love the Clio as it rarely gets a second glance but goes well enough in standard form. The argument is true that you get more bangs for your buck if you go down the Evo, Cossie, Scoobie route but I only use the Clio for work so it must retain its standard looks and compact size for parking in tight spots. I await the turbo conversion with anticipation;)

Suzuki SV1000S

^^^ agreed, and def. needed in the city!

I am still waiting for a price, But apparently Prima can get 240bhp from Throttle body conversion, Head work and Cams so will see how much this is too..

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..also gona be having one or the other hopefully l8 next year, gettin head cams etc now, only one with tbs (Roamer the pioneer :cool: )and still dont know if he has a package ready, dont know much about prima (good or bad) to be throwing cash at them..its a waiting game.

Turboing the engine is never going to be cheap so if you go for a 172 or 16V it will be about the same cost.

The 172 weights more but has the better and stronger box.

Your looking at ~£6k for the turbo kit though for 270hp.

A low pressure one giving ~210hp could be done for ~£4k though

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Quote: Originally posted by RobHardyUK on 02 November 2004

throttle bodies all the way! keep your compression then! and have shed loadsa noise! ;)

What kind of power can you see from boddies on a standard 1.8 lump? is it beneficial to then get head work?

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Just think how much harder it will be to drive, itll spin like a nutter, youll need uprated breaks and suspension to cope with the additional forces youll be putting on the car. You will also draw ALOT of attention to it as people WILL know its a turbo when they hear it.

Speak to Nick Read or Turbo Man (Ben) as theyve turbod their 16vs.

For me its only worth it if you got alot of money cause theres so many bugs that arise from it. In a 16v your gonna destroy gearboxes.

Suzuki SV1000S

The BB Turbo conversion costs around 4.5K for the job, which includes a Brake upgrade, I think they said it runs at 0.9bar for 270bhp, But I think they will actually be setting the kit up to run at 250bhp, Which will still be fun eh!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

as matt says traction will be a problem.

mines only 180bhp and if its slightly cold/damp like it has been recently the wheels light up even in 3rd when u floor it!

Its utterly pointless doing a 172 turbo, i would urge you to try out some more varied cars George, there are a hell of a lot out there!

I appreciate the giant killing ability a 172 turbo would bring but a simple RWD car will bring more simple delight and will also make you a better driver, because it demands more of you.

-Rob

Suzuki SV1000S

I would ideally like a nissan 350Z as I think they would be great fun to drive - But I simply cant afford one. Suppose I could look at getting a TVR Chimaera or something of that ilk. But then you have the reliability issue of a TVR let alone a TVR from like 1998/99

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

for the cost of the turbo conversion and what ud get for the car u could get an Evo 5/6 RS 0-60 in 4.8 ish, 0-100 in about 11.

and gearbox, clutch, diff etc thats all designed for the job! plus thats in standard trim, u can then tune it for silly performance!

Suzuki SV1000S

Are they any better than the Subaru - And then I still have the problem of it looking like a beast meaning loads of vandalism etc to the car. Need to keep a small car for central London really mate, so suppose tvr is def. out of the question too.

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..hey george; when u say around 4.5k for bb did u ring them or is that a guestimation? :oops: i would think running costs for an evo will be much higher..insurance, service n parts, the insurer i have is not bothered about mods unless u actually change the engine size so even with a tb or turbo 172 my outgoings stay the same..brake upgrade and suspension doesnt cost much for the 172. (altho u have a porche n merc so i guess the £ isnt an issue)..anyway m8 ur best option is to test drive one of the conversions and see for urself..

Suzuki SV1000S

mmm I think I will have to just test drive one of Turbo conversions and see as you guys say..

Will also have a test drive in an EVO, But will have to be bloody amazing for me to get one,as the image they carry with them in Central London is of Young yuppies and I dont fancy that image

Suzuki SV1000S

Have had this reply from Prima - Thoughts please:

The price to supply and fit a fully modified cylinder head and Kent fast road cams is around £1900.00 and will take the power up to around 200 BHP. To supply and fit throttle bodies is £2950.00 - this will give 30-40 BHP. The throttle bodies are supplied with a fully programmable ECU which can re-mapped to accommodate any additional modifications.

Regards
Sean.

Quote: Originally posted by haitch on 03 November 2004

..hey george; when u say around 4.5k for bb did u ring them or is that a guestimation? :oops: i would think running costs for an evo will be much higher..insurance, service n parts, the insurer i have is not bothered about mods unless u actually change the engine size so even with a tb or turbo 172 my outgoings stay the same..brake upgrade and suspension doesnt cost much for the 172. (altho u have a porche n merc so i guess the £ isnt an issue)..anyway m8 ur best option is to test drive one of the conversions and see for urself..
If you dont mind, what insurance company is that? Cos im really gonna need that sort of company in a bit!

Suzuki SV1000S

Quote: Originally posted by FelixWood on 03 November 2004

Quote: Originally posted by haitch on 03 November 2004

If you dont mind, what insurance company is that? Cos im really gonna need that sort of company in a bit!
Me Too, lol

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..liverpool victoria. dont know of anybody who has had work done by prima, just been on their website...they claim stage 1 conversion which seems to consist of chip, exhaust and ik gets you "up to 25bhp"...i think under one of their subheadings they call their work "prima magic"...i remember i rang them not long after i had the car and the guy wasnt helpful, he had the attitude of "stop wasting my time u cant afford it"...having just paid cash for my 172 obviously it didnt go down well..needless to say they wont be getting my queens english pound eh :p

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..hey george u havnt said how u came by the 4.5k figure as i heard it was goin to be the same as k-tecs 6k..

BMW 320d Sport

George - Prima arent exactly renowned. I think youll find it hard to pin anyone down whos had work done there and been over the moon about it. Or come to think of it anyone whos had work done there at all. Theyre just not a current player in the world of Clios. To get a standard 1764 valver engine to knock out 200bhp is a hell of a job and would require a lot of work and some wacko race cams. Kent themselves certainly wouldnt quote you 200bhp from any of their cams, let alone the fast road ones which are fairly mild.

As far as turbocharging a valver goes, Im not going to get into the same dull old arguments from people who think that by driving a turbo youre suddenly going to go into a ditch every time you put your foot down in a corner, or who moan about wheelspin. Who cares about wheelspin? So what! Its like going flat out on the motorway at 130 then complaining because you only did 10mpg. If you have a fast car, you have to live with wheelspin, and that goes just the same for RWD as well, its just that their easier to get off the line.

Best bet is to drive a BB demonstrator and see what you think, decide for yourself. My personal opinion is that the best bang per buck is with a low-boost valver conversion, which I can assure you will be plenty fast enough to leave them all standing - while theyre all whining about wheelspin, gearboxes and supposed turbo lag, youll have shown them a clean pair of heels. BTW, if wheelspin is such a problem then how come in my 11 year old valver, on low profile 17" road tyres, with no traction control, launch control or anything of that sort, I clocked a 0-60 in 5.57? In that same properly timed session at Donny South my worst run was only 5.8 or so!

Quote: Originally posted by George16v on 02 November 2004

all i wanna say it not many cars handle as well it as a rx-7, with a light engine thats punchy and with almost perfect weight distribution its considered one of the best handling car ever no comparsion with a clio im afraid

still aint had a ride in the clio mr read still going strong

evos are better then scoobies and less chavy but they cost a lot more to run then scoobies

TBH i would rather a evo 4 or 5 then a clio 16v turbo or a 172 turbo

[Edited by wongy008 on 04 November 2004 at 1:21am]

[Edited by wongy008 on 04 November 2004 at 1:25am]