ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 turbo?

clio 172
is it really worth fitting a turbo kit to a 172? or would it make more sense to find a megane 225 engine and drop that into 172?

DMS

A thirsty 172
There's some reason why the Meg 225 engine won't fit into a 1*2. I think the gearbox is too big / upside down or something like that.
But to answer your question yes it is worth it* ;)

Last edited:
What's the reasons for looking into getting a turbo?

Maybe another car is your answer, but you may want to look into getting a supercharger too :)

* I'm biased too ;)

I can't really comment on the turbo'd clios as I havent driven one, but I did test drive the KTEC SC Clio on saturday.

Wow is all I can say, very smooth delivery, doesn't feel like a forced induction car at all, just feels like a bigger more powerful engine. I've been told the turbo'd cars are not quite as smooth, due to the nature of how they deliver their power.

It's quite funny when people post 'I prefer xxxx' without any reason, 99% of the time they have no experience or knowledge to back it up either!

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
To be honest everyone is supercharger mad at the moment, and not so long ago everyone was talking about 400bhp supercharger kits, however it's all gone a bit quiet on that front now and I'll be honest it'll never happen.

The only person to exceed 300 bhp was RStuning and there was an interesting reason for this :)

As for the turbo kit being unrefined, this has alot to do with the turbo used, luckily the fitment is a t25 so the options are endless.

400bhp in a Clio is just stupid. End.

I could feel the front wheels tugging about a bit on the KTEC car, and that's 250bhp! (it was wet too mind ;))

Most people who know what they're talking about all say the SC suits the Clio better, and from driving it, I can see why they say it.

Im just waiting to hear back from KTEC on pricing, and then I'm pretty sure mine will be booked in for the SC kit :evil:

TrackCar & F30 330d
Why do you think turbo'd Clio's aren't very good, out of interest?

I just think that theres a point where power becomes un-useable. And unless a LSD is fitted then it must be difficult to get power down.

I only say this because i only have 200bhp and even i have to wait somtimes to get the power down so the inside wheel doesnt spin, so in a boosted clio you must have to wait even longer.

So when i said they aren't very good its just on my assumption that getting power down is more difficult.

Titanium 182
Is this because you have extensive knowledge and experience with both turbos and superchargers?

No it's because RST is within ten minutes of my house and having looked at Bens 172 the quality of work seemed very high plus I just prefer the idea of a supercharger with the whine.

as I said "personally" I wasn't saying everyone should agree with me.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
If you are skilled and a good fabricator you could make a 225 engine fit.

However this is a lot of work and there is no simple way to do it it would be alot of time and effort and you may never get it to fit correctly.

Most on here turbo there clios on here through Ktec or similar because its a drive in drive out system its guaranteed to work. You give them cash they give you a turbod clio.

If you were however do a turbo conversion youself you could save some money and you could use a Ktec car as reference, you could not do this if you were to try and fit a 225 engine.

Im going to stay out of the ITB, Supercharged, turbo war.

Do what you want, drive all cars and most of all decide how the car will be used.

also just to add......."learn to drive properly first" :rasp:

ValverInBits
The meg225 engine is a good idea. You get all the OEM turbo kit that would make for a nice conversion. However, that particular F4R (the F4RT LOL!!) won't fit the 172/182 boxes. Also the 6 speed from the meg225 won't fit in the front end of the clio.
As with anything it can be made to fit, but it's time and effort and if your not doing it - a lot of money.

If it was me with a 1*2, choice between ITBs or turbo. I'd go for a GT28/GT25 with a proper tubular manifold (not one of those cast logs that they fit). I'm waiting for a V8 to do ITBs :evil:

White Evo V
Supercharger all the way but I'm biased as I have one, lol. I have been in stevies turbo'd trophy when it was running low boost and the power delivery was very smooth! I can't comment on high boost turbo conversions though as I havnt been in them!

Tbh this thread seems like it's another turbocharger vs supercharger debate and I can't be arsed!

S18fty are you seriously looking into getting this done or are you just a dreamer? Not meaning that in a funny way btw, just for arguaments sake, before this thread is 30 pages long!

I suggest you ignore people on here and go and test drive a tc and a sc Clio then decide whether YOU think it's worth £4k+.

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
To be honest everyone is supercharger mad at the moment, and not so long ago everyone was talking about 400bhp supercharger kits, however it's all gone a bit quiet on that front now and I'll be honest it'll never happen.

The only person to exceed 300 bhp was RStuning and there was an interesting reason for this :)

As for the turbo kit being unrefined, this has alot to do with the turbo used, luckily the fitment is a t25 so the options are endless.

Well you can thank my car for that, as it was the advertising tool to build the hype and the only reliable working car at the time. It is great, I do love it, but 400bhp is pointless and put enormous stress on the rest of the car, I will however be doing a bottom end and looking for about 320-350bhp (as I want it usable). Doing it my way this time though.

Not really sure what went on there (300bhp RStuning car), I heard it was running stock internals. Paul obviously did this for testing purposes, which is better than testing it to destruction on a customer car imo. The kit cars dont run like that, so dont see it as a problem myself.

As for £4k+... debatable whether its worth it, but it can be done cheaper.

Chrispy - if you strugge to put 200bhp down then you need to look at your setup mate. I get some spin in 1st, but that's it.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I just think that theres a point where power becomes un-useable. And unless a LSD is fitted then it must be difficult to get power down.

I only say this because i only have 200bhp and even i have to wait somtimes to get the power down so the inside wheel doesnt spin, so in a boosted clio you must have to wait even longer.

So when i said they aren't very good its just on my assumption that getting power down is more difficult.

There is a point where the power becomes unusable, but most of the time you never reach it. I find that when you drive one all the time you get used to it and you know when it's going to come on boost and start making crazy levels of torque. You drive the car differently and as a result and putting the power down isn't really an issue.
If you drive everywhere planting your foot straight to the floor you'll get major wheelspin and torque steer - especially when exiting a corner. You learn to be smoother and more progressive on the throttle when exiting a corner and it's always easy to tell when you can "boot it" without spinning anymore.
Decent tyres make a huge difference as well. I used to have Toyo Proxes on the front and the wheels would spin even in the dry. Now I've got better tyres I don't get any spin in the dry and very little in the wet.
I will admit that an LSD would make a massive difference to cornering speeds though, since it'd make it possible to get on the power sooner out of a bend without spinning the inside wheel. Hence why I'll be investing in one later on in the year.

Pulsar Gti-r,LY 182
iv not personally drove a turbo or supercharged clio only a 182 but having a turbo car myself id say go turbo as superchargers sap power from the engine to make power on the other hand one of my mates has a civic ek9 on itb's that he is supercharging so supercharged on itb's will be good would the same not be possible on a clio? as well as getting an lsd to help put the power down now that would make a fun clio

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Right lets be honest here,The last 12 months has easily been the best for extreme tuned clios with more turbos/sc/itbs being carried out than ever.

However just because a company sells a certain product/conversion doesn't necessary mean that it's the best way to do things.

At the end of the day companies need to make a profit and sell some thing which is appealing and reasonably priced, as such there is compromises somewhere along the line.

This is probably why Kungfuspag is doing his to his own spec.

Talk of fitting meg F4RT engines is just silly as the amount of fabrication that goes with it is ridiculous, You can however fit the meg pistons, rods and cylinderhead to a 172 bottom end this allows you to retain the clio gearbox, and makes the intercooler pipe work a little easier to run.

Mark one, I 've looked into a tubular manifold but the space between the engine and bulk head is to tight, this means I'd have to run it around above the gearbox (the same as Scoff and Ashy) however doing this in a clio is alot harder than doing it in a 5 turbo, as theres your ecu header tank, pas resevoir and quite a few other things that need re locating.

172 turbo 'cup'
is it really worth fitting a turbo kit to a 172? or would it make more sense to find a megane 225 engine and drop that into 172?

Ive just had a low pressure turbo fitted I think its worth it some dont , see if you can get someone to take you out in theres before you decide what to do.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I'd rather turbo than charge purely because I'd want to retain all the original equipment, I have no idea how they drive of course!

From what I've read the delivey of a turbo can be kinder to the car?

y drive of course!

From what I've read the delivey of a turbo can be kinder to the car?

No otherway round, not to say turbos aren't 'kind' on the car, but SCs are much smoother.

Turbos deliver their torque and power much quicker and in one go. Just compare any graphs from a turbo and SC car, the SC graph will be much smoother and flatter, while the turbo will have a big peak where the power comes in.

bodied 172 Ph1
I was thinking about fitting a supercharger but then went towards the turbo so I can keep my aircon! Lazy but true!

bodied 172 Ph1
because being vertically challenged, when I wear shorts the backs of my legs rub on the front of the seat and gives me eczema in the summer. Plus it's far nicer sitting in traffic jams with aircon on than sweltering.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I was thinking about fitting a supercharger but then went towards the turbo so I can keep my aircon! Lazy but true!

Same here.
Everyone slags off people who want to keep their air con, moaning about how this country is always cold and it's not needed blah blah blah. Get f**ked.
I intend to keep my car practical, which means retaining as much of the original spec as possible.
It came with climate control which will not work properly without the air con. I set it to a nice temperature and the air con kicks in when it gets too hot in there - that's what it's for!
It also helps de-mist the front window quicker.
If you aren't arsed about air con then fine, but it really gets on my wick when people have a go just because I wanted to keep it. Probably all Cup drivers...

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
As you can see from my graph below the turbo comes on boost with such ferocity that it literally rips the steering wheel from my hands and sends me into a wheel spinning frenzy across the road into the nearest ditch.

Apologies for my wonky scanning :)

img001.gif

For those who don't know what their talking about please refrain from posting. Thanks X

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Yeah them turbos go from like 20bhp to 500bhp in like 300rpm, should be made illegal there that dangerous. LOL

For those who don't know what their talking about please refrain from posting. Thanks X

Not sure if that was aimed at me, but I was talking IN GENERAL in comparing turbos to SCs.

And I do know a little bit about this as I was talking over this quite a lot at KTEC last weekend :)

bodied 172 Ph1
well when funds allow I plan to have a rebuild as the car is getting a bit tired to add a turbo, but with upgraded pistons and bla bla bla, then add the turbo. I'm told it can make 300bhp. Could be a giggle

bodied 172 Ph1
104000 at the mo, but if i'm adding a turbo I want to cut down the risk of killing it and the car!!

Last edited:
  Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Yes mate it was aimed at you :) and seemed a justifiable comment if your gonna make sweeping GENERAL comments in a turbo thread, no hard feelings though.

Regardless of what tuning kit people choose they really need to do a lot of digging around to find out what the kits are really like.

For example everyone believes that the ktec stage 2 turbo conversion is actually a 300bhp kit, when in fact the advert is simply worded that if you opt for the stage 2 kit you could run upto 300bhp. People who've had it done recently (me/ryank/butch) all made around the 270/280 mark.

If I was going to go for the SC kit I'd look very carefully at the quality of the components used and make a decision based on that.

Steve

bodied 172 Ph1
From what I understand from talking to someone with a very good understanding in this game! a 'turbo kit' will reach the 250-260 ish mark, but with other careful modifications more can be achieved!

lol no worries stevie. I've been doing quite a lot of digging around into this, as Im sure you know it's not cheap!

I think I just prefer the SC really, just comes down to personal preference, and having driven a SC car I think it would suit me very well, although I dont think it will suit my wallet very well!! :(

EDIT: Like most of the kits out there, they all say that with uprated forged internals etc you would hit circa 300bhp, but it's a lot of work, and that aint cheap either!