ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 turbo

hi guys,

just wondering if there is a turbo conversion for the 172 and how much?

got a few grand spare was gonna buy an mr2 turbo but considering sticking a turbo in the clio and a nice set of 18s etc. (not touching the styling too much though as i want it to be a bit of a sleeper)

any one know???

cheers. steve

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Anything is possible, if anything I would imagine a supercharger would be better for the 172 engine and more usable power.

The k-tec turbo should put out about 250bhp apparently

Be nice to see a 172 SC I think, turbo power is awesome but the thought of instant SC power with no lag is also very appealing ! I have seen what it has done for a Saxo VTR so a 172 would be very nice indeed !

cheers guys, i remember the thread but don fancy packing da motor off to mexico 3-5k sounds right i guess that includes all da bits and bobs but 250hp through the front wheels?!? must be hard to get the power down i thought max was 220ish(fiat coupe turbo)

supercharger sounds interesting, probably cheeper too. any info on that?

K-Tec are doing the turbo over here stevo20 so you will not need to ship the car anywhere apart from sunny Bournemouth !

:D

thought you were from your name, im from llanelli(dont take the p**s hehe)

good to see a fellow south walian on the board.

I am from Gorseinon mate so just over the Loughor bridge ! There was talk of a meet with a few other Clio divers around the Swansea area soon, you should come.

Very good to see another welshman on the boards ! There is not enough of em !

:D

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

sorry to interupt the "At home in the valleys" chat

but anyone seen that vid? they really need to tarmac that track!

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 03 March 2004

sorry to interupt the "At home in the valleys" chat
It is alright Tom, it is not your fault you are not Welsh !

:devilish:

Where can I get those silver wing mirrors on the black 172 above ? Someone said they are made by Momo but where can I get them ?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Actually my nan was born in a farm house in the elan valley but thats another story..

Ive tried to source the momo mirrors but had no luck.

Mirror covers ? Are you sure ? I thought they were the whole thing ? Do you take the existing ones off and fit these plastic bits instead then ?

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Bringing it back to the Turbo topic ...

I was down at K-Tec last week, and their 172s engine was out on a stand having the turbo done. Didnt look that closely, but think the turbo was on, but still plenty of work to do. Reckon theyll have it up and running in a couple of weeks.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

I can see the cost of a turbo for the 172 coming nearer to 6k!

about 10 days to fit at ktec, this also includes a paddle clutch?

Its 3k for the kit and another 3k fitment at a guess you need the engine taking to pieces to replace the pistons.

Not sure about the clutch.

The company who made the kits in wherever have theres up to around 300hp with more work 250hp is just the practical limt that most people would pay for the extra 50hp there would be a doubleing of costs I guess. You would probably need a stronger box as well for reliablity

Lionel Richie

K-tecs car is going to make its first public appearance at Donny North!!!! (Sorry Dave, i know its supposed to be hush hush!!!)

BMW 320d Sport

Nice! I wouldnt mind a little race on Saturday night if the K-Tec boys are up for it, see how their 172 turbo goes against my valver turbo.

Quote: Originally posted by Daipac on 03 March 2004

Is it possible to supercharge the 172 instead of turbo ?
i was looking into this and http://www.gmcmotorsport.co.ukwww.gmcmotorsport.co.uk says it is posable but your talking about £7000 for them to do it or if you could do it your self parts would prob be around the £3500 mark

Are k-tec going to be offering a warranty on the kit Fred?

I think 250bhp would suffice in a FWD! Id like to see a 4wd twin engined Clio though..500bhp anyone?

-Rob

Volvo S60 T5

Im in the process of doing this myself, go a spare engine and box, its all stripped down now.

Will be ordering in the bits I need from reno.
Everything I need is available from reno.
Will be getting Andy at GDI to gas flow the head and reprofile the cams.

Not gona rush this as I want it to be spot on, looking forward to the end results:D

Also gives me something other than sitting on the pc all night

Quote: Originally posted by AndyT on 20 March 2004

Any one got any more info on this ?
Your best doing a search there been a few discussionson it.

Expensive to do 6k all in I guess for 250hp. Id try and get a 1.8T VAG engine in there with a remap for less. You can get 270hp out of the engine and there a company with them for sale for 3.5K all crated up with 6 speed boxes

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

that might be a 4WD variant... no good for a clio... must make sure its 2WD...

we are doing a conversion in a Polo at the moment with a 1.8T engine...

using the older S3 engine with a 5 speed box from the sport non quattro model....

210 bhp out of the box and then tuned to about 300 with different turbo etc etc

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 20 March 2004

Quote: Originally posted by AndyT on 20 March 2004

Any one got any more info on this ?
Your best doing a search there been a few discussionson it.

Expensive to do 6k all in I guess for 250hp. Id try and get a 1.8T VAG engine in there with a remap for less. You can get 270hp out of the engine and there a company with them for sale for 3.5K all crated up with 6 speed boxes

what company ?

Quote: Originally posted by Andy GDI on 20 March 2004

that might be a 4WD variant... no good for a clio... must make sure its 2WD...

we are doing a conversion in a Polo at the moment with a 1.8T engine...

using the older S3 engine with a 5 speed box from the sport non quattro model....

210 bhp out of the box and then tuned to about 300 with different turbo etc etc
I was meaning do a FWD 1.8T and blank of the rear drive plate like the Corsa turbo drivers do.

The old S3 enigne should be good for 270~280hp with a remap alone shouldnt it? Then a bigger FMIC and your talking 300hp arnt you?

Suzuki SV1000S

Have you guys seen the golf 18 Turbo that has 900bhp, has some weird name, dahlback thats it. check that out for speed lol