ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 TURBO

apparently theres a guy in burnley that will drop an avantime 2 ltr turbo (250bhp) in your 172 & tune it to over 300hp with a few mods. I know a guy who has 20 of these engines - SANDER 01254 386661. Sander has his number but i believe he charges about 6k for the conversion - he braces the bottom end & fits forged pistons etc. anyone else heard about this ???

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by CB1A on 16 May 2003

apparently theres a guy in burnley that will drop an avantime 2 ltr turbo (250bhp) in your 172 & tune it to over 300hp with a few mods. I know a guy who has 20 of these engines - SANDER 01254 386661. Sander has his number but i believe he charges about 6k for the conversion - he braces the bottom end & fits forged pistons etc. anyone else heard about this ???
If this is a standard renault turbo then surely they will have forged pistons already ??

Also to get 300hp what does he do just increase boost pressure cause thats the cheap way of doing it ?

Wouldnt it just be better to put an avantime turbo onto the 172 lump. Generally a turbo makes 40-60bhp ontop of the engines output so the engine would have to be uprated to well over 200bhp, and the normal renault 2 litre is no where near that. I cant see the point in throwing away a perfectly good engine and then starting with a sh*t one?

-Rob

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Just go for the BB tuning version, you know they will do the research cause it isnt just a simple bolt on kit, they check to see if the GEARBOX will take the hammering as well cause most people tend to forget about this.

As ChavyBoy states, your gearbox will suffer (if not die) so that will have to be rebuilt along with a clutch that can take the power (plus uprated driveshafts also, tc would be a good idea) and you would need a good set of 4 pots on there to stop you (if you have ever tried stopping a 300bhp car on 2 pots you know it sucks!).

Somewhat more complicated than just an engine transplant (probably the cheapest part imho!)

Tony

lol kill the gearbox then make way for a good one getrag anyone :D hehe ooh dog box yum the noise hehe or could use one out of a megane maxi rally car a nice 7 speed one

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Tony,

You wouldnt need to go massive with the brake though as you wont be going any faster only getting there quicker ! Well thats how it was explained to me.

I would say the gearbox would last long as these boxes are no upto the power let along the amount of torque the engine will be putting out..

So on the face of it yes maybe a cheap power increase but you have got to remember transmission.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Ye the theory behind the brakes is that cause you can accelerate up to high speeds quicker again requiring you to brake more frequently that normal, will cause a build up of heat quicker than the disks pads can dissapate the heat, eventually leading to brake fade..

Nissan R35 GT-R

The simple fact is that you cant put more than around 250bhp through the front wheels! If you do the car becomes undriveable. When you put your foot down, the acceleration lifts the front of the car and the weight is transferred to the rear wheels. The front wheels therefore have less weight holding them to the ground and the wheels will just spin.

RWD cars have the opposite effect, which is why they can deploy so much more power than FWD cars.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

and stiffen up the suspension causing less of a shift of the centre of gravity..

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

and if youre a bit of a pussy you could then throw in launch control to keep things in line

Nissan R35 GT-R

A LSD will only stop one wheel from spinning by transferring the torque to the other wheel, usually the one that travels the furthest difference through a corner. LSDs will not really benefit you in a straight line, well, not with 350bhp and a FWD setup anyway.

Still, 350bhp in a Clio would be something to tell people wouldnt it.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

after the launch control a full 4x4 conversion would be nice.. although that might involve some radical changes.. like the floorpan ?

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

oh what the hell, lets just rip out the interior and drop a great big V10 into the rear and convert to mid-engine, awd configuration....now that would be something to breag about

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 16 May 2003

after the launch control a full 4x4 conversion would be nice.. although that might involve some radical changes.. like the floorpan ?
I think that the departed Capt. Slarty reckoned that a Scenic 4x4 transmission could be fairly easily modified for a Clio. Then again, maybe it would be better to shove a clio shell on an Evo. Or maybe just buy an Evo....