ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Tyres

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

Just wondering how people rated the tyres that come standard on the Mk2 172s (dont know if their any different to the Mk1s), and how long a life they usually have in terms of miles. I want to switch them for a set of Toyo Proxes as soon as they go, just wondering how many miles itll be.

Cheers,

Gaz

Well, my rating for the ContiSports is ....... crap

Sorry, but only my personal opinion, but I found they broke away really early in the dry, and stupidly early in the wet, so swapped my over to Goodyear Eagle F1s before Id even done 600 miles, and the Eagles are superb imho, dry grip is great, wet grip is phenominal, well worth getting!

My 172 mk2 came with Contis and lasted for around 12k of enthusiastic driving, including a trackday. I tried to get some new Contis but they werent available when I needed them so I have switched to the Toyo Proxes.

The Toyo Proxes give a significantly smoother ride on the road whereas the Contis let me *really* know what was happening under the wheels - which I liked

Breakaway doesnt seem to be as smooth as the Contis.

They do seem to understeer a bit in the wet when pushed but I never pushed the Contis in the wet as I had only had the car for a bit.

I have only done 1.5k on the Toyos and they do seem to get better once they are worn in - I think another trackday is needed to get a better sense of how they handle.

At the moment tho I miss my Contis as they just made the car feel more hardcore!

Arjun

My brothers mk1 172 came with Michelin Pilots (Im not sure if they are the exaltos or not), he says they are supurb and when Im a passenger in his car they do appear to grip very well wet or dry.

Like most mk2s mine came with Contisports, I hate them. The roads where I live are greasy at the best of times, so I get quite a lot of torque and bump steer and as a result I get very little positive grip fealing. Once Ive done a few thousand miles I may change them for pilots or F1s etc. Either that or Ill change the alloys and get new tyres with them.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by black-cat on 07 November 2002

The roads where I live are greasy at the best of times
My point exactly, the roads have a massive impact on the tyres, if lorries travel over the roads alot the roads may have a thin layer of diesel spill making it very slippery. I like the contis and find then fine each to their own eh.

Also done 4k on them and no sign of wear and I do drive the car fairly hard at times and done a quater mile session which takes it out on them.

320d M Sport

Mine went after 6500 miles (What the?????) Anyway Im after F1s cos they were ace on my 300BHP SAxo VTR.......on no 95bhp i mean.... forget sometimes....

Paddy

My point exactly, the roads have a massive impact on the tyres, if lorries travel over the roads alot the roads may have a thin layer of diesel spill making it very slippery. I like the contis and find then fine each to their own eh.

Chevy.. Since reading your post, I have this vision of lorries dripping diesel everywhere....

Perhaps ??? :cry: ,,,,,,,, it might be to do with rubber compond deposits from the tyres ???

But, I spose Diesel and Lorry are pretty close to having a symbiotic relationship.. as I have no doubt you would relate to. dood....;), I am not placing a slur on your education btw.. just a constructive critique

GR7

Shiny red R32

Roamer

I agree with you, I found the Contis to be very slippy / slidy at times and after 400 miles I got new wheels with Toyos and they are so much more grippy, with an attractive tread pattern too!!

:cool:

GR7

Shiny red R32

Joe

So you like rubber! Is this the wearing of it or driving on it?? ;)

I noticed today that my little car now has 2,828 miles on its clock!

Still not run in properly yet!! I usually average about 4,000 miles a year and have another couple of months in which to do it in.

:)

Me ???..

Waht you need is a sudden burst of mileage lol... :oops:

then... you would be happy with such a small offering.. and, you COULD keep him for best......

Re the Supra..... dont talk about it S.;) some of the responsible people will try to lower it.................

I have now done over 8,000km. The Contis are worn in and producing decent performance. I dont hate them as much as I used to. Will consider fitting ToYo Proxes later. THey are much cheaper compared to F1 or Contis.

Renault Laguna Coupe

IMPORTANT NOTE!! If anyone really hates their Contis I will buy them if theyve done less than 2000 miles. Drop me a PM if you have any!

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by Captain Slarty on 07 November 2002

Chevy.. Since reading your post, I have this vision of lorries dripping diesel everywhere....

Perhaps ??? ,,,,,,,, it might be to do with rubber compond deposits from the tyres ???

But, I spose Diesel and Lorry are pretty close to having a symbiotic relationship.. as I have no doubt you would relate to. dood...., I am not placing a slur on your education btw.. just a constructive critique

Keeeewl and he took the bait. I really over estimated you Dooooood LOL pathetic.

And I see your are still illiterate "Chevy" LOL But being Special its an easy mistake for you to make.

How about you pop down to Essex and we can discuss your afflictions !

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Incredible

why continue to say really stupid things? eh? slarty?

i cannot stand people like you, putting conditions on taking the pi** dont make it any better.

sort it out please.