ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 v cup v v6

Clio 172 Cup
Does anyone have the link to the online magazine test that featured the above cars round a track?

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Cup
It wasn't a video it was just an article that featured the cars being driven to and at a track (can't remeber which one tho).

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Evo. The Vee and the 172 were closely matched, the cup was quicker. It was a ph1 vee, ph2 172, and 172cup. I may have it at home, if I can find it I'll scan it and email it too you.

VaVa
Evo. The Vee and the 172 were closely matched, the cup was quicker. It was a ph1 vee, ph2 172, and 172cup. I may have it at home, if I can find it I'll scan it and email it too you.

That's about the size of it. They said the 172 was the choice for the road, the Cup was the choice for the track and the Vee.... well.... :quiet:

3 x Renaults + Lexus
I have seen a few V6's and 172/182 Cups on RS trackdays (+driven a few but not all on track) and they seem very similar. However 172/182 that have had work done to them were quicker than the standard V6's. Obviously its also down to the driver + spec I think the V6 drivers were taking more care.

I would not say the V6's are slow maybe not as quick as they look or you would expect or maybe the 172/182 cups are just faster than you would think....

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Was a ph1 Vee. Thankfully none are left now, they all span into bushes and exploded.

Clio V6 and Ford Mondeo
Vee not the fastest car around but it turns so many heads and makes such a nice raw. As for the handling the Mk2's are not that bad just treat it with respect or it will kill you !!

Clio 172 Cup
Obliged by the replies so far.
I only want the link. Have tried evo online and drawn a blank but can remember seeing it within a post on this forum some time ago.
Have tried a search on here with the keywords 172cup v6;) but b**ger me there's a lot to look through.
I love the vee. It's sooo much more than just the stats.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldnt recomend a 172 it's a bit too placid for me. I think a 172 cup with recaro's would be the best option.

If I were to get a V6 it would have to be a 255 as I do not like the bug eye front on the ph1's.

I have to say though, it's an odd test. A 3.0 V6 30k list priced rear wheel drive clio against a 2.0 13k hot hatch. Not really in the same category and thus, not a fair comparison.

i don't think there was an external link to it in that past thread, but the OP had cut&pasted the text. try searching under 'Cup Clash' - i think it comes up on search

VaVa
I wouldnt recomend a 172 it's a bit too placid for me. I think a 172 cup with recaro's would be the best option.

If I were to get a V6 it would have to be a 255 as I do not like the bug eye front on the ph1's.

I have to say though, it's an odd test. A 3.0 V6 30k list priced rear wheel drive clio against a 2.0 13k hot hatch. Not really in the same category and thus, not a fair comparison.

Eh? It was a renaultsport shoot out. The had a Cup racer in there too iirc.

And you're right... The Vee needed to be with other over-priced RWD cars that are slower than a 172 Cup round a track ;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Vee handles ALOT better than a 172! Non compariable imo. I own both and by god the 172 is dull and rolls like a b**ch.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Vee handles ALOT better than a 172! Non compariable imo. I own both and by god the 172 is dull and rolls like a b**ch.
But you're the most biased person on here! It has a big heavy engine, mounted high, in the centre of a relatively short chassis, a car that lotus refused to consult on the handling, as it couldn't be made to work! Standard Vee, vs standard 172, wet back road. The Vee would get dropped.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
But you're the most biased person on here! It has a big heavy engine, mounted high, in the centre of a relatively short chassis, a car that lotus refused to consult on the handling, as it couldn't be made to work! Standard Vee, vs standard 172, wet back road. The Vee would get dropped.

Wet!!! PMSL! Who cares! I'm bias'd sure!! But i've had a williams, 172 x2 and a Vee...And it's the best of the lot! On and off track. I've got so much more confidence in it!

Ask Adeyspec how it goes round the ring! :approve:

VaVa
Wet!!! PMSL! Who cares! I'm bias'd sure!! But i've had a williams, 172 x2 and a Vee...And it's the best of the lot! On and off track. I've got so much more confidence in it!

Ask Adeyspec how it goes round the ring! :approve:

You're in the minority with that opinion... in fact only Vee owners concur funnily enough lol

But this is ph1, not ph2. And it's fairly common knowledge that the ph2 is a marked improvement over the ph1.

So you can calm down a bit dear ;)

A

ashy_gtt

Thing is everyone has an opinion most of them probably havent driven both cars!

Ok the stats might show a 1*7 being very similar performance wise to a Vee, but the main difference I find between my 182 and Vee is the way they make power. The 182 feels gutless below 4000rpm where as the vee will pull from low RPM in any gear... You really have to smash the tits off your 1*2 to get the best out of it, its almost hard work, where as the vee's big torquey engine is always willing to let rip with ease!!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
You're in the minority with that opinion... in fact only Vee owners concur funnily enough lol

But this is ph1, not ph2. And it's fairly common knowledge that the ph2 is a marked improvement over the ph1.

So you can calm down a bit dear ;)

To be fair...It's usually CS drivel! The vee is faster/Quicker and imo better on track! Proven, fact....I thankya!

Clio v6 & Atom 300
It depends on the driver. I can't remember the exact times but when top gear tested both a 1_2cup and the mk2 v6, the Vee was faster in monsoon conditions than a cup was in the dry! In fact the Vee did the same lap time (in same conditions) as the Aston Martin vantage. Not so slow! ;)

Yes the stig had an off, but he loved the car and so did Jezza. Its a challenge!;)

I believe its generally accepted that FWD is cheap, safe/easy, but ultimately boring. RWD is where its at for speed and fun. And for the ultimate handling you need to go mid-engined. The problem with the Vee is the basis is a FWD clio, with a laguna engine squeezed in the back. Its hardly surprising its a lardy g1t. The back of a normal clio is made of tinfoil. A LOT of strengthening was required to stop the thing from snapping in half! :clown:

I have driven both a 182(cup packs) and own a Vee and there is NO comparison. The cup was great fun. SOOOO chuckable and easy to drive. BUT it needed more power and a better spread of torque. No-where near as fast on my own person "test route".

Peter:)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
This place gets funnier evey day. A Vee is now better handling than the 1*2's? So pretty much every motoring journalist (who praise the car for it's epic lunacy) are wrong? FFS it weighs a lot, the engine's heavy and mounted too high, and it's a short wheelbase mid-engined car. Not exactly the recipe for handling prowess. The Vee is a great car, with many qualities, but a great handling car it isn't. And Ali, yours is far from standard AFAIK, and you have far more track experience than 99% of people on here, so the fact that it's quicker in your hands doesn't prove much, other than you're quick.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Don't forget when renault sent the car to Porsche, they actually reduced the steering speed to stop it's natural tendency to fall into roll oversteer. Thats why the ph1 has better turn in.

Granted it was good on track, but its not standard. So not really a fair comparison.

Though you lot should have known better, slagging the vee is bound to have Ali running along shouting! ;)

Lionel Richie
until you've done at least 10K miles in one you don't really know what they're like!

come have a go in mine, then tell me they're s**t ;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I don't think they are s**t, anything but. But you can't say they are great handlers! Whenever someone criticises a car on here, it goes like this.
-You haven't driven one
-Oh, you have? Then you haven't driven it enough!
-Oh, you have driven it enough? Well you haven't owned one, you can't judge etc etc etc

Lionel Richie
i remember being told you can't get them sideways or spin the tyres, so i had to prove a point ;) its not an easy car to drive AT ALL, but if you spend time with it, it is simply one of the best cars i've driven
_K3C7967.jpg

_K3C7951.jpg

_K3C7999.jpg

Lionel Richie
bah, it went back in, hey all supercars have their problems, the airbox on the F430 at work snapped its mounts and set fire (sort of, more melting than anything) to the air filters