ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs 182

Vee dub
Ali said:
mine rr'd at 171 bhp and my mate 182 at 178 so make what you want of it. The 172 are nicer! No silly exhausts and much better colours. Monaco and frame red! The 2 best colours.

Monaco good lad :cool:

Not seen Frame red yet.. but your Flame red is sweet Ali

MINI JCW
Ali said:
Dream on!!! i've NEVER seen a std 182 run it's proposed book bhp.

The 182 has Wider tyres which help. And handling is 75% down to the driver, the application of your feet work, and putting the car in the rite place on the track.

Not debating that the ability to drive any car fast is down to the driver but a 182 handles better than a 172.

As for BHP, Renault say one has 172 and one has 182. They make the cars so ill take there word for it. Lets be honest most rolling roads are as much use as a chocolate fire guard. You can put the same car on them on the same day and it will give different figures

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
unless you spend you cars entire life on a track, i dont think you will find either car to handle better than each other in the real world bar the cup and trophy

Engles Mummy
I swear some of you are on drugs, well I know cosworth is with that ridiculous comment about "chicks dig the 182 better then a 172" lol.

Firstly I doubt the common lady could even tell the two apart. Secondly you either must be joking or one butt ugly bloke to hope a chick will go out with you just because you have a "nice" car. Not sure what girls you been seeing lol

Also saying "Chicks will always dig a "182" over a "172". Like chicks will dig a DB9 over a DB7" Makes no sense...because 1. The DB9 is a completely different car to the DB7 and 2. The 182 & 172 are the same car, only minor differences.

Back to topic -

A 172 cup is easily the fastest out of 172/182 bunch. End of.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
i reckon willys are the fastest out of the bunch,

lets start something new

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
Back to topic -

A 172 cup is easily the fastest out of 172/182 bunch. End of.[/QUOTE]

they are in a league of thier own

Subway said:
A 172 cup is easily the fastest out of 172/182 bunch. End of.

lol at the cup owners.
The question was 172 vs 182.

182 is going to be marginally quicker it has 10bhp more. It is the same engine as the 172 with a better exhaust manifold I dont get why people think a 172 will have more power??

I would love to know why a 172 cup is easily the fastest doesnt it have the same power to weight ratio as a 182?

MINI JCW
I would love to know why a 172 cup is easily the fastest doesnt it have the same power to weight ratio as a 182?[/QUOTE said:
Here are the power to weights

172 ph1 = 162
172 = 157
172 cup = 171
182 = 167
182 cup = 169
182 trophy = 170 (1bhp better than cup due to lighter wheels)

So on paper the cup is the fastest, but nothing in it really

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
that was my point in the first place, nowt in it between all 172s/182s, just some people on here had to get snooty and think they had the better car, so bugger ill join in

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I agree the cup 172 is the quicker car.Evo did a test of all the clio's including the V6 and the cup was the quickest round bedford excluding the V6 race car which was silly quick.I would still like the rawness of owning a cup one day

ian

BMW 535D
what do u all mean by 'full fat'??

evo tested the 0-100 times of both 172, 172 cup, and 182 and came out with 18.9 secs fr std ph2 172, 17.7 secs for 172 cup, and 17.5 secs for 182.

172 cup was slightly quicker to 60.

those are the figures boys and girls :p

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^^ Full fat has all the toys , leather , air con , xenons etc ^^^^

Whereas the cup just has the dynamique interior , no xenons, no air con , correct me if i'm wrong .

RenaultSport clio 182
oooh you all bit so hard on my comments. I think you all failed to note the sarcasm. Provided me with huge amusement. ;) Be honest, if you want to pull chicks don't buy a clio full stop. They wouldn't be impressed by a "172" or a "182" when both look like (in their eyes) their mum's 1.2 RN.

If you really scrabble over 10bhp then buy yourself a turbocharged car, where a 50% increase in power is not unimaginable.

Now for Cosworth's jibe of the day. Prizes who spot the most grammar errors, irony and plain idiocy from a fellow member's post -

Also saying "Chicks will always dig a "182" over a "172". Like chicks will dig a DB9 over a DB7" Makes no sense...because 1. The DB9 is a completely different car to the DB7 and 2. The 182 & 172 are the same car, only minor differences.
:slap:

Nippy white cup
The point is that if you have a "good un" then you`re laughing. Mine seems to be a good one and I`m sure there are good and bad 182`s as well. It`s well documented how different cars give very different results on RR`s on the same day.

Chris

Nippy white cup
cosworth said:
oooh you all bit so hard on my comments. I think you all failed to note the sarcasm. Provided me with huge amusement. ;) Be honest, if you want to pull chicks don't buy a clio full stop. They wouldn't be impressed by a "172" or a "182" when both look like (in their eyes) their mum's 1.2 RN.

If you really scrabble over 10bhp then buy yourself a turbocharged car, where a 50% increase in power is not unimaginable.

Now for Cosworth's jibe of the day. Prizes who spots the most grammar errors, irony and plain idiocy from a fellow member's post -

:slap:

You missed the 's' off spots m8 ;)

Chris

RenaultSport clio 182
You missed the 's' off spots m8 ;)

Chris

In the context it was used, spot is correct :rasp:

Like "Spot the ball".

English lessons all round :p

Putting it through a grammar checker showed no errors.

megane rs 175
Thanks for all ur reply and ur welcomes people, ye is my very first post thats a lost reply, not quiet go one yet but getting a ff 172 of my dad when he finds something else it gonna be bit quicker the my chipped 306 diesel, many thanks matt :D

RenaultSport clio 18
my mate has a full fat 172 and i have a full fat 182.. mine pulls more in the higher revs but there isint really anything in it...

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Blah blah blah....Nothing in it. drive all 3, and there's nout in it.

And if you believe that a 182 produces it's book bhp then you could sell sand to the arabs.

MINI JCW
Ali said:
Blah blah blah....Nothing in it. drive all 3, and there's nout in it.

And if you believe that a 182 produces it's book bhp then you could sell sand to the arabs.

Exactly the same can be said about the 172

Engles Mummy
Cosworth - How original of you to spot my grammatical errors, you’re obviously not mature enough to have an adult discussion, so instead you use my grammar mistakes as means of defending yourself.

In terms of racing & performance the 172 cup would be the victor!

You spanners crack me up. No one has ever said 10bhp was ever going to make much difference on the road or track. But 10bhp is 10bhp. Ignoring the rolling road arguments which mean f**k all. If you want to quote actual figures on cars so closely matched then you need an engine dyno, not a set of fooking rollers. Without dyno results (unlikely) then you may as well ignore 5bhp here or there and just enjoy the cars.

The 182 has around 9-10bhp more than the 172, and IMHO looks better and is worth more. The End.

Oh and why is there this perception that the 172Cup is the fastest car ever made? The 182/Cup are equally as quick in performance terms and we all know it.

MINI JCW
Roy Munson said:
Oh and why is there this perception that the 172Cup is the fastest car ever made? The 182/Cup are equally as quick in performance terms and we all know it.

Agree, there is nothing in it between all of the Renaultsports Clios

Nissan 350Z
I dont get why some people get so worked up over a few tenths of a second.

Look, we all own one of the best drivers hatchbacks of recent times. Be proud of your Renault Sport, whichever derivative it may be.

Megane Mk4
can_of_worms.jpg

;)

MINI JCW
pbirkett said:
I dont get why some people get so worked up over a few tenths of a second.

Look, we all own one of the best drivers hatchbacks of recent times. Be proud of your Renault Sport, whichever derivative it may be.

if people werent bothered about a few tenths of a sec, be it in a straight line or on a track then there would be no need for cup versions would they?

Nissan 350Z
gazcaddy said:
if people werent bothered about a few tenths of a sec, be it in a straight line or on a track then there would be no need for cup versions would they?

I always thought the point of the cup was for a more raw, involving drive, ala old school. Shedding weight is a great way to improve handling, and speed.... FWIW I very much respect the Cup as being probably the drivers clio (as well as the trophy).

I know what you are saying, but it just seems some folks take it too much to heart is all i'm saying.

Clio 172 mk2
Roy Munson said:
You spanners crack me up. No one has ever said 10bhp was ever going to make much difference on the road or track. But 10bhp is 10bhp. Ignoring the rolling road arguments which mean f**k all. If you want to quote actual figures on cars so closely matched then you need an engine dyno, not a set of fooking rollers. Without dyno results (unlikely) then you may as well ignore 5bhp here or there and just enjoy the cars.

The 182 has around 9-10bhp more than the 172, and IMHO looks better and is worth more. The End.

Why does it look better...is it because there are a couple of peashooters on show at the rear and some plastic trim added?

Surely that stuff adds weight

1.6 focus zetec....
pbirkett said:
^ Clutching at straws...

As usual, Renault says the 182 has more power, I believe them. They made the car after all. End of story.

Youve got to be on some good drugs to believe what renault say...I dont own either, have never drove either and never seen either race...but after seeing kully 172cup fly down the motorway the other day..i want one

Kiza

RenaultSport clio 182
Subway said:
Cosworth - How original of you to spot my grammatical errors, you’re obviously not mature enough to have an adult discussion, so instead you use my grammar mistakes as means of defending yourself.

In terms of racing & performance the 172 cup would be the victor!

Adult discussions? Such as this that you posted?

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=131537

I'm not defending myself as no one is attacking me, I posted in jest as I find these types of posts very amusing and alot of you took the bait. And once again, you took another bit of bait :rolleyes:

To be honest, you'll buy a 172 or a 182 based on your budget and the condition you want for your budget. My budget stretched to a 182 so I bought one. The figures Renault publish are based on blue print engines so in theory the 182 should be 10bhp more, in practice, due to engineering tolerances the difference between the two will vary wildly.

The difference will be small, but there will be a difference. So apply whatever weight you want to this factor when choosing between the two cars.