ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs Cup

Monaco 172 2/468
lol Roy speaks sense........ I think people who quote hammered this 172\CTR whatever it is, with a similar car don't have a clue, and probably havn't had much experience in much more powerful cars.

Example - people with a 172 say avg 0-60 7 secs would say i'd totally destroy a focus ST170, which I think is about 8-8.5 0-60. However in the real world you wouldn't put your foot down off a roundabout and leave it for dead, pulling 15 lengths in 10 seconds or whatever people say lol

If the guy in the focus was proper going for it, you would still have to drive your t!ts off to leave him behind. Same goes the other way, things like Fiat Coupe's which are quicker than our standard 172's, and they would pull away from us. However, get a 172 behind you who is up for it and try and shake him off !!

People watch the Fast and the Furious too much I think, or race cars that aren't trying and think they are legends :rasp:

..... so as you can imagine, a cup blowing away a 172, err ok lol

CUPCRAZY said:
Going back to the original thread!!

You get noticed in a CUP where as in a standard f/f you don't.

I would never consider a f/f for this reason alone.

CUP RULES

LMAO

I'll point that out to all the people that used to ask me about my old silver mk 172 when i was in petrol stations or pulling up outside the cinema. I was obviously dreaming the couple of times i came back to it and found people peering through the windows to look at the interior. ;)

Monaco 172 2/468
Loony said:
LMAO

I'll point that out to all the people that used to ask me about my old silver mk 172 when i was in petrol stations or pulling up outside the cinema. I was obviously dreaming the couple of times i came back to it and found people peering through the windows to look at the interior. ;)

lol do you live near a load of pikeys, its only a Clio :D

106 GTi
CUPCRAZY said:

CUP RULES

LOL - I bet 99% of the people would look at a Mondial Blue Cup as much as they would a Arctic Blue 182.

Dont talk such nonsense

Same for a Silver Cup and Silver 172/182.

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
Rich said:
LOL - I bet 99% of the people would look at a Mondial Blue Cup as much as they would a Arctic Blue 182.

Dont talk such nonsense

Same for a Silver Cup and Silver 172/182.

I thought the tile of this thread was 172 vs CUP

And no one can argue the fact that the CUP is better looking than a standard f/f 172.

Where did the 182 comment come from,they look as good if not better than the 172cup.

106 GTi
My point is that wheter it be a 172, full fat or Cup, or even a 182, in the same colours the Cup will get no attention on the road than each other from people.

Rich said:
My point is that wheter it be a 172, full fat or Cup, or even a 182, in the same colours the Cup will get no attention on the road than each other from people.

*Passes Rich a brick wall* ;)

RenaultSport clio 172 Cup
One subtle but noticeable difference on the 172 Cup over the 172 FF which I don't think I've seen mentioned yet is the increased castor angle on the front suspension/hubs by 3 Degrees which alters the steering feel and added up with wider track makes for a more responsive front end but at the same time I'm sure it makes the car more prone to being affected by the camber of the road.....

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
NealP said:
One subtle but noticeable difference on the 172 Cup over the 172 FF which I don't think I've seen mentioned yet is the increased castor angle on the front suspension/hubs by 3 Degrees which alters the steering feel and added up with wider track makes for a more responsive front end but at the same time I'm sure it makes the car more prone to being affected by the camber of the road.....

yeah i can noticed that :) it does make a big difference :p when driving on shitty roads!

MKIII 138
Big Iain said:
I was under the impression the front discs were larger on the cup,

^^you would think you would know owning both n all that^^

talkin out of yer arse you clearly are with a comment like above and the 40mm wider track, and I still think your explanation of fluid is b****cks.

do you know how to quote you scotish prune ? i said under the impression i didnt state it as a fact, 40mm has been quoted on here before and fluid is something you would only understand in a glass my celtic boozer

CUPCRAZY said:

CUP RULES
Vain ************, so you go for the more driver orientated car to get more noticed and not due to it's raw driving quality? How sad

Personally I like not being noticed, i've had brick magnets before, I prefer the more stealth approach;)

Monaco Blue 172
well u could get bogged down in the specs of it all, but to me its pretty simple. if u dont care about abs & air-con then get a cup. saying that the cup wheels are a million times nicer than the standard ones :barf: its the first thing i will change if i end up with one like that!

172 Cup
Can we make it a law that the next person to start a 172 v cup, 172 v williams or 172/182 v Type R gets castrated please!?!?!

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Cup is quicker.

FF is 'nicer' though that is a very wooly term.

The problem with the Cup, for me at least was that I couldn't justify paying more for a car that was at the end of the day, cheaper to buy and poorly spec'd.

Having said that, I have spent around £1200 getting the looks, slightly better handling and slightly more pace than the cup with the luxuries of the FF. I'm sure you get leather into a Cup for less than that but hey ho.

The common vein running through this thread, ask yourself the question out loud and answer without thinking. Whichever you say first, you prefer. That is the 'better' car for you.

Black R26, Iceburg 172
.Griff. said:
Can we make it a law that the next person to start a 172 v cup, 172 v williams or 172/182 v Type R gets castrated please!?!?!

Being the person who actually posted this thread knowing full well that it would start many disagreements, i thought i would just add that i only posted it as i am looking to purchase either a 172 or a 172 cup and wanted some ideas and advice as to what people thought of the two cars. Best that i not do this again as i have actually learnt nothing apart from the funny fact that everyone seems to be competing with each other over, essentially the same car. I have test driven a 172 and will be trying the cup on saturday and will then be able to base my decision on which to get from my personal point of view and wont have to bother any of you again.

Nissan 350Z
They are all good.

Theres virtually nothing in it on the road.

The Cup is more focused, no denying it.

But no way will a cup destroy a normal one...

You need 300 bhp+ to "destroy" a Clio. The only car that destroyed me so far was a 450 bhp TVR which overtook me up a hill on a B-road (yes i was trying, very hard).... try doing that in a cup, or any other hot hatch, for that matter.

Nissan 350Z
Stevie9 said:
I have test driven a 172 and will be trying the cup on saturday and will then be able to base my decision on which to get from my personal point of view and wont have to bother any of you again.

The best way mate, seriously. Drive em yourself, make your own mind up. It really is THE ONLY WAY!

If I believed everyone on this forum, then the Type R Honda was MUCH faster than the Clio and MUCH better handling - but its not so IMO.

Let us know what you go for. We are not all speed obsessed sheep arguing over 1/10th of a second on this forum ;)

RS Clio 172 Ph1
Get the standard 172. Wlll good enough on the road. Looks nice with the headrests in at the back too and the Aircon comes in dead handy this sorta weather.

Burgandy 174 sport t
meggerman said:
do you know how to quote you scotish prune ? i said under the impression i didnt state it as a fact, 40mm has been quoted on here before and fluid is something you would only understand in a glass my celtic boozer

Its Scottish btw you cheeky c**t, Im sure u said before "u should know u had both" am I right?? sounds like you really read up on the cup before U downgraded eh!!!

talkin bout glass aint that even more shocking on the cup aswell?

Rich said:

Thats just not true a 172CUP gets more attention on the road than a f/f I have seen it with my own eyes.

Put a standard f/f next to my CUP and 90% of people will say the cup is better looking from the out side and thats a fact.

VaVa
CUPCRAZY said:

CUP RULES

You're right there. You have a Cup and I noticed you appear to be a complete chump almost immediately.

think he was joking fella................:eek: .

cup owners say cups r better

full fat owners say theirs r better .

2 many variants and points make them different .which is the best which i would agree is the best of both worlds which would be a 172 full fat cup packed monster :S

172, Tiguan
Please calm down guys.

I have a sense of Deja-vu. Could've sworn I'd read this thread 5,000 times before.

kullycliosport said:
think he was joking fella................:eek: .

cup owners say cups r better

full fat owners say theirs r better .

2 many variants and points make them different .which is the best which i would agree is the best of both worlds which would be a 172 full fat cup packed monster :S

Nice to see some people on this site are normal.

I agree a mix of the two would be a real monster.

Still not happy about Largerlouts comments:mad:

MKIII 138
.Griff. said:

good idea were all pasoinate about our cars so people are bound to bite.