ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs Elise

ph1 172 Black
On way home this yellowey green Elise appeared behind me. I overtook a car and he followed. I overtook another two and he followed again.

I thought right clear road we're on. So I gave it my all and he didn't gain at all on me. Next set of lights he didn't even bother! He didn't look so happy, suppose it's because on a 55 plate it's cost him a fair bit and maybe didn't expect a Clio to be so quick!

ph1 172 Black
Just looked it up. An S2 only has 120bhp but bhp/tonne is 167 which is a little higher than a ph1 Clio.

So that must of been what it was.

Breaking A 172 Replica
Yours will also be run in.

If its an 18month elise the chances are it will have well under 10k on the clock.

ph1 172 Black
God that would maul a Clio. Just wish I could tell them apart so I don't take one of them on! My missus boss has a Elise. Brand new and he's younger than me. Git

190 bhp ones are 216 bhp/tonne and that would give a lot of cars a run for there money.

Last edited:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Whole point in and elise is cornering not straight line speed.

My mate has a 120bhp S2 elise and i have a 172 cup. The elise gets the power down off the line better (RWD) and is slightly quicker to 60 but then my cup pulls it back in and is about 2 car lenghts quicker to a ton. Very similar performance wise.

m-tec bmw 325 ci spo
i had a guy chase me yesterday after screaming past him at 1*0 and slowed to pull off he came straight up behind me we went into the round about i had a bit of a slide on then on to a straight i pulled abit on him up to a tonne then he pulled over

MINI JCW
yes 172/182 are very evenly managed with the Elise and VX's.

Its the VX220 Turbo and Elise R you have to worry about as they have power to weight ratio of about 215 bhp per tonne

RS4 480hp,STI 420hp,ELISE
I have a Lotus Sport reprogrammed Elise S and I can tell you I'm so happy I didn't buy the R. I had a 2 day chance to test both cars properly. To be fast in the R you have to keep it between 6500 and 8500 rpm. The S gearbox from Toyota is also better. I also bought the Lotus Sport exhaust.
I went to the Nurburgring last week and from 0-100 I can keep uw with an Sti, but the Elise is cornering sooooooooo much better.

Attachments

• lotus1.JPG
    lotus1.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 27
  • lotus2.JPG
    lotus2.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 54
  • lotus3.JPG
    lotus3.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
  ph1 172 Black
Lotus are the cornering experts. Remember the old Elan from 70's. Not the most powerfull car but did that car handle and cause of that it won races.

I know a lot of people here go on about winning races in the twistys but not against a Lotus. Clios handling ain't bad but it's a league away from a lot of cars.

RS4 480hp,STI 420hp,ELISE
That's why I bought this one. I have a full tunes STI and RS4. I wanted something fun, something different. And that's what the Lotus gives me. Funfactor 10. You will beat it on the straight line, but it will take you back in the twisties. That's the funfactor of the Lotus

On way home this yellowey green Elise appeared behind me. I overtook a car and he followed. I overtook another two and he followed again.

I thought right clear road we're on. So I gave it my all and he didn't gain at all on me. Next set of lights he didn't even bother! He didn't look so happy, suppose it's because on a 55 plate it's cost him a fair bit and maybe didn't expect a Clio to be so quick!

how do you know he was giving it his all? you've assumed he was.... what made you assume he was?

Tangoed Works
Those lotus arent straight line motors as already stated but are really quick imo. the clio are pretty quick to 100 and the elise being evenly matched is nothing to be embarassed about.

As stated previously, stick them on a few bends and the lotus is away. I'm considering an Exige S for the next motor due to the cornering fun and the 10 secs it takes to hit the ton.

Best of both worlds.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I chased one around Goodwood. He had me on the straights and I had nothing on him in the corners, but we was very weak on the brakes.

Video here...

Properly driven Elises, regardless of engine size, I have huge trouble keeping up with on track.

Clio 200
I have a 182 Cup and a Honda powered Elise. My Elise started out with a bog-standard 120bhp Rover K-series and I would agree that from 0-100mph there would be little in it. The Lotus would be quicker to 60, but the Clio would quickly make up the ground from then on. The Lotus is far superior when the going gets twisty though - unless it's wet - the Elise doesn't like the wet!

ph1 172 Black

how do you know he was giving it his all? you've assumed he was.... what made you assume he was?

Well it's not the best road for overtaking and we did two cars in one overtake. If he didn't go for it he was risking hitting cars coming the other way so I'd say he was.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
The K series Elises do run out of puff but the 190bhp Yamaha unit (yes they are Yamaha not Toyota made) Elises are 150 mph cars.

Performance Through Lightweight....that the main point of the Loti.