ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs. SRi Turbo

Mk4 .:R32
Just wondering who you think would win in a quarter mile race. My mate has an astra SRi turbo, pretty standard bar the blue flame exhaust, and I've got a 172, also standard bar a BMC CDA!

Meg on pistonheads £6995
depends which SRi? there's two or three engines and petrol or diesel

a re-mapped 2.0L (petrol 230bhp or diesel 200bhp) would be close to a 172!

Mk4 .:R32
It's the standard SRi. It's an 02 plate. If it was a VXR I know I wouldn't stand a chance as they are like 240bhp. I think his is 190bhp standard. He's not had it remapped!!

MKIII 138
im afraid that if it was the VXR the 172 would loose - badly. However an Sri may be a diff matter

Straight line maybe, but on the twisties it would be all over for the VXR!:cool:

what sort of twists, mid sweeping bends and corners the vxr would be good enough to hold until the straights.. unless your talking really tight bends in which case yes.. took my meg on a private road really tight left and right turns and it was great but not as good as the cup but only on REALLY tight roads anything more stretched out and its not a problem

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Out come these twisties....where are they again? I've had a 5 mile "to do" with a 182 with many a corner and never been left.

The SRi's really do seem a bit poo although a exhaust on a turbo car makes a fair difference. It'd be close and alot down to the driver.

id say performance wise standard for standard they would be quite similar in a straight line when you go on power to weight ratio.....a remapped astra apparantly gets upto 245bhp for 500 quid great value for money and id say it would leave a 172 esp above 60mph.....well you would like to think so

Megane Trophy, Golf
Straight line maybe, but on the twisties it would be all over for the VXR!:cool:

what sort of twists, mid sweeping bends and corners the vxr would be good enough to hold until the straights.. unless your talking really tight bends in which case yes.. took my meg on a private road really tight left and right turns and it was great but not as good as the cup but only on REALLY tight roads anything more stretched out and its not a problem

Mates got one and its gash round bends (Tight bends)! good in a straight line though. Top gear also slated its handling. ;)

Megane Trophy, Golf
Out come these twisties....where are they again? I've had a 5 mile "to do" with a 182 with many a corner and never been left.

The SRi's really do seem a bit poo although a exhaust on a turbo car makes a fair difference. It'd be close and alot down to the driver.

I live in the peak district mate! lots of little B roads!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I live in the peak district mate! lots of little B roads!

Oh right. Thats where they must all be then!

A car is only as good in the twisties as the person driving the car.

1.2 MK2 PH2
I think itll be close theres a few astra turbos. some as little as 150bhp then some are scooby killers... find his reg then see if u can get a spec up on the net, should give u a good idea!

Burgandy 174 sport t
I had a play with one last week actually, I was behind and off a ra I managed to get alongside before braking for the lights, it was obviously standard though. I understood this model to fairly rare though??

Mountune Tractor

Around the bends you don't stand a chance against the clio, if it was bends and straights you could probably keep up but you wouldn't beat a decent clio driver in your 200sx imo. You might be a drifting champ or something though so I'll shut up! Love the 200sx as well by the way, great fun to :race:

MCS R56

Clio would win easily as the VXR would torque steer into a tree! :rasp:

Around a track, Clio has SRI and VXR. SRI has a bigger top end but not great handling.