ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Vs Williams

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I have seen a number of 1*2 vs Williams’ threads over my time on Clio Sport and I thought now having owned both I would contribute to this.

My main aim of writing this is to help those which have a budget in mind and are looking to buy one or the other or possibly switching either way.

I don’t intend for this to be a buyer’s guide and list all possible scenarios of where one is better than another but just a “fair” comparison…. My Williams 3 is what I would call “standard” – it has a full stainless steel exhaust and the 172 has no modifications.

I haven’t driven or owned a 172 Cup nor a 182 Cup or Trophy. The main reason of comparing these two cars specifically i.e. a 172 and Williams is that in terms of cost they are now generally very comparable and someone looking to buy a 172 or Williams certainly will not be considering a Trophy or 182 Cup thus I deem it irrelevant.

Only those of you on here who have owned a 172 and 182/182Cup can describe the further differences between a these cars but from what I know and have been “told” there really is neglible differences.

Anyway, on with my “review” or comparison if you will:

The first thing I noticed about swapping from the Williams to the 172 was the seating position. In the 172 I really do feel they got this all wrong, you sit very high which gives the feel you could be behind the wheel of Transit rather than a modern hot hatch! The steering wheel also feels as if it has come from an old fashion steam boat as its roughly 30metres in diameter – both of these factors really detract from the overall initial impression of the car which is a big shame. Whereas in the Williams you sit a lot lower and more purposefully, you also have a much more modest steering wheel which allows you to manipulate the car easier.

The actual seats however I have no complaints about… Coming from the Williams interior to the 172 is a pleasant experience, you get half leather alacantra seats nicely stitched with Renault Sport and the instrument cluster is much more modern take, not to mention the “toys” which are fun to mess about with.

However, apart from these stitched seats what else lets me know I am in a hot hatch? Well, nothing. I have a small badge on the steering wheel which says Renault Sport but aside from that there is bugger all to say – “You are in a sporty car”. Ok, so my point here can be irrelevant as there does become a point or line you draw and say – “I want it to let me know I am in a hot hatch but not be chavvy”. This is a line Ford crossed when designing the old Focus RS and to some degree you may feel the Williams interior has crossed to but I on the other hand really appreciate this extra effort.

For example in the Williams not only do I have blue seat belts, blue dials, blue gear knob, differentiated standard steering wheel, embossed seats I also get three wonderful dials which say: Oil temperature, oil pressure and cold oil level on ignition. Unlike the Ford though, it is done in a much more tasteful way with dark navy blue the colour of choice which really isn’t as much in your face as the text describes.

These extra changes in the Williams go some way to suggest what the car is all about, not only do these dials look good but are of great importance and let you know when its ‘good to go’ and ok to hammer it. This is something which I really doubt many owners realise – just how long it takes for an engine to fully warm up although I do accept more modern engines will stand up to abuse a little more and maybe these instruments have lost a little bit of their importance they are great to look at and help in deciding how healthy an engine is.

The power and speed of the cars is not really something I want to get too bogged down in as this really does get talked about to destruction. The cars I would say are very similar in performance with the 172, I feel certainly pulling better at higher speeds however, less than 70 or 80mph there is nothing in it.

The more important factor here is the actual delivery of this power. The 172 really needs to be thrashed and above that magic five thousand rev’s whereas the Williams can really pull well from 3k. This point can easily be confirmed when pootling along a country road at 20-30mph in second gear… Push it and there is that little delay until you get up the rev’s when ‘you’re off’. This point is further exaggerated by the Williams’ shorter gear ratio’s and lower red line so the gear times are very short but this does mean you never have to wait for power and don’t have to really thrash it to get somewhere quick. I suppose this criticism or fact is best interpreted by the reader and how they prefer to drive – coming from the Williams I much prefer the way it pull’s in 2nd and 3rd but others might like longer gear times in time I may sway either way.

The handling of the cars is also fairly different, the Williams I would say is a lot more twitchy on the limit and easy to know when you get to that limit. The 172 is a bit more ‘lazy’ and you have to work on it to push it as you never are really sure where that is so stay within its boundaries a little more. To be honest, I rarely really push my cars hard on the road for fear of crashing or losing control which is why I am always at the back of the pack on a run… It is fair to say that both are fun to drive but all magazines and members who I have spoken to sum it up in very few words – The Williams is just a better driver’s car, which is spot on.

However this is where the 172 scores massively and the Williams falls back. The 172 really is a great car to be in, its very nice to drive and not at all a chore and for all its greatness and being a drivers car the Williams by this very nature is very, very raw. I drive between 30 and 40 miles a day generally and this is why I have ended up with a 172. The Williams would often begin to grate and in all fairness it is 13 years old but doing those kind of mileages and driving made it difficult to enjoy it. The 172 offers 75% of the fun factor with 10% of the hassle of the Williams and when making a balanced decision this made the 172 a winner for me. I also think it only fair to mention the 172’s unbelievable petrol consumption too. Where the Williams can achieve similar mpg’s this is due to driving like miss daisy but the 172 seems to get excellent returns from a mix of pushing it and driving sensibly. When you cane the Williams it really does use petrol which when doing 40 miles a day again makes you think twice.

So, which would I own? Which do I think is best? I think it’s fairly obvious from my write up. If you want a great car to have a thrash about with on the weekend it has to be the Williams. If you are doing considerable mileage and need just one car it has to be the 172. If you have a few thousand to spend and not sure what to do with it – Buy a 1.2 for the week and have the Williams there for the weekend!

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Great write up :D read the whole thing.

I like both cars although have never been in a Williams unfortunately, I think it's just the interior that kills it for me, those seats :quiet:

Williams + leather Recaros = FTW!

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS
Great read!
What??? i love the seats in the williams! wouldnt dream of changing them!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Not a bad write up! Good to see owners experience! Imo with the lack of adjustment to the steering wheel on the willy and seein as you sit in couches meant that the driving position was much worse than the 172.

Willy is a much cooler car and i look everytime i see one...But other than that its not a great car. (My opinion)

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Having re-read it a couple of times I do think the 172 reads as if it got a bit of a raw deal but I didn't intenionally write it like that. The 172 is a very good car, a much more rounded car and an easier drive. Any sort of common sense decision would mean you end up with one tbh.

I also didn't mention reliability issues and running and repair costs and due once again to it's age I think the Williams would lose out on that front - but I merley wanted it to be about the experience of driving them rather than what could/may go wrong. I am amongst one of the few which hasn't really had too many problems with a Williams but I feel this is due to the nature of myself. I never ragg'd it from cold or treated it poorly.

Lol @ Ali, yeh those seats are soft - but when you weigh as much as me you aint going nowhere! ;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Having re-read it a couple of times I do think the 172 reads as if it got a bit of a raw deal but I didn't intenionally write it like that. The 172 is a very good car, a much more rounded car and an easier drive. Any sort of common sense decision would mean you end up with one tbh.

I also didn't mention reliability issues and running and repair costs and due once again to it's age I think the Williams would lose out on that front - but I merley wanted it to be about the experience of driving them rather than what could/may go wrong. I am amongst one of the few which hasn't really had too many problems with a Williams but I feel this is due to the nature of myself. I never ragg'd it from cold or treated it poorly.

Lol @ Ali, yeh those seats are soft - but when you weigh as much as me you aint going nowhere! ;)

On track i ended up raising the seats....Wasn't confident in a driving position!

at knockhill, the 172 was 2.1sec a lap quicker...For reference. But my 172 was mod'd so unfair really.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I might be odd, but I preferred the standard Valver seats over the Williams ones. The only 'standard' seats I've been in that come close to the Valvers were the ones in my old Fiesta Si.

LY 200
I might be odd, but I preferred the standard Valver seats over the Williams ones.

Looks wise yes......I loved the phase 2 cloth to look at and imo much more comfortable than the mk2 seats. They just feel like buckets.

I agree the mk2 sport steering wheel is huge but to 'look' at id rather be seeing a mk2 steering wheel everyday. The only mk1 wheel that didnt look like they were from the 1970's was the ones with the air bag on the later ph2 valvers imo.

You know my thoughts on mk1 v mk2 anyway mate but like i said to you the other day i think the the mk1 feels a performance car because of the rawness and noise even if its only been slightly modded but other than that the mk2 is definetly more up to date and a more comfy car for everyday use. Performance wise standard for standard there is nout in it but to be driving with the noise and feeling every bump everday i dont think id go back.

Oh and if you wanted blue belts and blue dials to make the mk2 feel more 'performance car' like im sure you could put them in at not much cost however id be very interested to see how they got rated on here when pictures were posted up. ;)

Williams
I've got a williams now. And i have a 1.2. The 1.2 isnt insured but Like yourself, im finding it hard to enjoy owning the williams with commuting. Sometimes wish i could still have the 1.2 for work and willy for weekends. At the min, im filling up with £55 of fuel, and only getting about 250 miles :( Mainly because my boss lives 15miles away On Woodhead Road if any of you know, a brilliant 'twisty' road!

LY 200
Blimey you must be either caining that everywhere or the fuel consumption is terrible!?

On a full tank in mine, driving it normally most of the time i get another 100ish miles on yours.

I remember my 2.0 hybrid being abit naughty on the fuel but not that bad!!! Lol

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
A full tank in the Williams was around 320-360 miles for me. That was just above the reserve tank and it worked out between 32 and 39 mpg .

Vee dub
I find the driving position in the valver and williams really spot on!

Seats are immense too.... I had them raised in YOJ as they are quite cushioned.

ZX6R B1H
Excellent little guide :D as im looking between the two cars. As i have prev owned a clio 1.8 16v and just spent an evening driving my mates 172. And i still cannot decide between the two.

Biggest problem i have is the driving position after around an hours driving my right hand Knee hurts like a good un. Which is due to the seat being too high up. I had the same problem with me valver :( and totally forgot about it until driving my mates last night.

I prefere the overall look of a williams, as they are a more manly and agressive looking car with a very nice stance. However the 172 seems more fun day to day.

I cant really say anything to be honest as im driving a nova lol Hence the need to upgrade and "wiggle" has got me back into the VA VA Voom scene :D

I'm going test driving another williams on sunday and also a 172hopefully at some point today, A lot of this debate is down to the drivers? oh and just for some added fun im test driving a Xsara VTS as well as i used to use one for track...

audi a6 3.0tdi
tough choice but 172 would be better day to day though just coz its newer and a bit more solidly built

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Exellent read and a fair comparison,i too would choose the 172 now there so cheap forwhat you get,plus theres less chance of rust on the 172