ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 won't start after gearbox change! Help!

330i. E30 Touring.
Right then.

I've just changed the gearbox in my Ph1 172 and the fecking thing won't start.

It's been apart for about six weeks in all, with the battery and everything off.

I've put it all together, and tried to start it. The first time, the starter motor clicked, but the starter's not turning over at all. When I turn the key, nothing.

I can't hear the fuel pump priming, yet there's definitely power in the battery because all the lights are coming on, and i've used another car to try and jump it.

Any ideas?

Immobiliser cut in?

Cheers..

Clio Hybrid / S3
Could be immobiliser as the fuel pump should prime and doesn't need a lot of current. If the grounds or positive feed from/to the starter are bad you should hear the solenoid engage but it wont be able to draw enough current to be able to turn over.

330i. E30 Touring.
Have you connected both the earth wires back to the gearbox?

Yep. I'm not positive on where they both go though. It was so long since I took 'em off. One is at the back, by the starter motor, and the other I've earthed at the front of the box, to the point where an air con/pas pipe is..

330i. E30 Touring.
The red light on the dash was behaving normally (staying on for three seconds and going out) but now it's flashing constantly.

clio 172 sport cup
when u turn it over does redlight on dash stay on if so imoby might be on i had this trouble ,or u might afder have key coded again as it might have lost the code

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
you made sure you have not knocked any sensors etc getting the box in and out?

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep. All the sensors were checked. I'm thinking it could be an earthing problem or immob. The fuel pump not priming must indicate something?

Bg182 bitsa,thisthat
will prob be the thick braided earth cable witch go,s from next to your final drive cover,, were the bottom mount is too the front ov subframe,, wonts to go onto the chasis leg just above were subframe bolts on to drop down part ov chasis leg

330i. E30 Touring.
That cable's earthed onto the front of the gearbox atm. Next to the wingnut/filler plug. Right place?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Earth strap,

easy way to check, run a thickish wire to the block ( bolt it on) and earth/ bolt that to the chasis sumwhere, try start it