ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 wont start!

Ph2 172
I've started having problems with my 172 starting. Started happening last week when I went to start the car, lights all went out as normal, radio, lights, climate control all working as normal. But when I try to crank the starter it wont turn just goes dead.

Tried it again and again and eventually the starter turned and started when I held the key down for about 30 seconds. Now it's doing it pretty much every time I try and go anywhere but wont always eventually turn over. Anyone got any ideas?

PH-QUICK
Friends clio does this, apparently its the ECU sensor??? think there are some other threads on it.

db

db detailing™
Have you tried the battery? Mine was sorta doing this, everything worked like the dash lights, head lights etc. changed batt and started first time. Been ok since.

Ph2 172
I haven't tried the battery yet, but think I will give that a go, just doesn't seem logical that it could be that? But I'll definately do that before spending any money on it! Cheers for your help guys. If anyone else has any other ideas please let me know!

111s
Try your spare key. Could be the imobilliser sender thingy. Does the light on the dash continue to flash or remain lit?

Ph2 172
Well the starter doesn't even turn, its like there isn't one there, but when it does turn its fine, doesn't struggle or sound rough? I have tried using both keys and it doesn't seem to make a difference and the immobiliser light goes out just like it should?!

It hasn't done it for a couple of days now so who knows, but think I'll still try the battery. These cars are weird!

Mine did the same thing and it turned out that the battery had broken plate connections inside. Testing showed cells were OK but it was not putting out 12 volts so the ECU wouldn't let anything happen. New battery seems the way to go.

Vw caddy tdi
the my mk1 172 does exactley the same! seems to b the thicker main power wire or smaller gauge exciter wire from +battrey terminal to starter, they both go into a plastic protected thicker loom thing on cli(had same prob on r5 gt turned out to be corroded + batt terminal! fitted 2 starters first tho!!)but wires were visable on 5 it very simple theory, 2 wires 1 spade connector (thin)and 1 bolt on hoop connector(thick) to back of starter if u put test light on to removed spade connector(exciter) and it lights up poss starter prob no broken wire!!... I cant actually touch the starter on cli to check but I no its not starter cos it random all or nothing..I FOUND THAT BY FOLLOWING THE MAIN LOOM WIRE DOWN 2 STARTER from batt+(very tight restricted space/route) THAT 4 COLOURED WIRES EXIT THIS MAIN LOOM (POS TDC SENSOR NOT SURE) AND BY MOVING THE WHOLE MAIN LOOM WIRE 2 STARTER GENTLEY TRY TO RE-POSITION SLIGHTLEY MAKING SURE ITS NOT SO RESTRICTED OR TIGHT AGAINST METAL ALSO THAT 4 COLOURED WIRES ARE FREELEY EXITING NOT BROKEN ETC MY CAR STARTED FIRST TIME THINK BULKY LOOM WIRE GETS PULLED ABOUT UNDER ABUSE FROM HARD ACCELERATION/SPIRITED DRIVING OR IT CUD JST BE A BROKEN WIRE OR NOT SO GOOD CONNECTION TO STATER EITHER WAY IT WORKED 4 ME!!
If my car no starts very occasionally seems it cos its had hard time nite b4 usually, it bin bugging me every once in a while BUT THATS THE FIRST THING I WOULD WIGGLE NOW, IT FRENCH AFTER ALL!!!