ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 won't start

RSi, 172
Right boys and girls

Got in our 172 to move the car today - unlocked it, put the key in the ignition and nothing happened! didn't try to turn over at all, just clicked once. Then the alarm went off but it was really quite. Took the key out, got out the car and turned off the alarm. Tried it in the ignition again and it just clicked it again.

Got out, went to lock it with the key fob and....nothing happened, the car won't respond to the key. I got the spare but the same happened...nothing. So I'm left with an unlocked car.
We had the battery checked on the volt meter yesterday and apparently its fine. We drove 125 miles yesterday and it was fine, drove it to work this morning and it was ok, took a little while to start.
It did this about 4 months ago, was running fine, then drove up the road, got back in and it just clicked st me!!

I've left it 30 minutes and tried to start it again and it did nothing!
Any suggestions as to what it might be? Do you think I've messed it up because the alarm went off when I started it???

Megane 225
Are the warning lights etc on the dash lighting when you turn the key to position 2 (ie. before you start it). It sounds like the battery is fubarred! Can you jump/bump start it?

RSi, 172
no lights, no nothing!!!
We had to bump start it last time it did this but i can't move it back on my own to jump it down the hill, its a heavy bugger!
would the battery still be fubbard even though the volt meter said it was ok yesterday?

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
its amps you need.
will it lock all the doors from the key lock in door?
i think battery.

RSi, 172
just checked, no lights come on when i put the key in, nothing. When I lock the it from the door, it only locks the door I'm locking, not the whole car.

Anyone know what battery do I need? do they need to be ordered especially?

Last edited:

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
do the headlights come on?
are they bright?
could be a bad earth strap from engine/gearbox to subframe?

RSi, 172
no not yet, wouldn't have a clue where to start. Going to get my other half to check it when he gets home.

I suppose that the battery makes sense as neither of the key fobs are working either.

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
ok.
if you had to bump it before then id say its not holding charge(battery)
i asume its been sat still for a long time.

RSi, 172
no thats the problem, it goes out everyday! It does 6 miles a day about 4 times a week and 70 miles a day 2 times a week. We've also just come back from a weekend away 125 mile away

Maybe its the little journeys that's killing it?

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
Flat battery either not holding charge or not charging.
Could be alternator.
6miles is plenty!
It's a 90amp alternator I think.