ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172Cup V Corsa VXR

meriva vxr! really ;-)
Probably all come down to driver but i know a lot of the engines once run in are churning out more power than stated from vaux! Check out the actual 0-60 http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/greatest_drives/210003/vauxhall_corsa_vxr.html
Also engine re-maps can increase power by loads as they are turbo's.

Got the same engine in the meriva and although this isn't as quick as the 182 chipped and air filtered was from a standstill - rolling it is surprisingly fast as got a 5 sec overboost function when flooring it!

Still think clio kicks arse when corners or roundabouts involved though!

Probably all come down to driver but i know a lot of the engines once run in are churning out more power than stated from vaux! Check out the actual 0-60 http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/greatest_drives/210003/vauxhall_corsa_vxr.html

Got the same engine in the meriva and although this isn't as quick as the 182 chipped and air filtered was from a standstill - rolling it is surprisingly fast as got a 5 sec overboost function when flooring it!

Whats the overboost ?

And how does that work ?

Does it just tweak the boost up electronically when you hit a button while cars going ?

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP

Whats the overboost ?

And how does that work ?

Does it just tweak the boost up electronically when you hit a button while cars going ?

the over boost is a 5 sec increase in tourqe when power is Fully open

Last edited:
  meriva vxr! really ;-)
Whats the overboost ?

And how does that work ?

max torque is usually 230Nm but if you floor the accelerator the turbo overboost gives you a 5 sec burst of 260+Nm - doing 20mph in 2nd and flooring is mega rapid as is dropping a gear at higher speeds... Does it automatically

Not sure if the corsa is the same but it feels like the 5k kick in reverse, you get all your power out early then you don't seem to get more just when you want it - apparently this is where the chipping makes the difference

Been in my pals chipped one and wasn't impressed at all, by the performance or looks. My old Clio Cup with breathing mods would have went passed a chipped one with ease.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
Been in my pals chipped one and wasn't impressed at all, by the performance or looks. My old Clio Cup with breathing mods would have went passed a chipped one with ease.
not in a stright drag race. Assuming it was chipped to 230bhp like nearly all places do. 0-60 would be 5.9 seconds and 0-100 in 14.3

a 180bhp cup would get to 60 in about 6.3 and 100 in 16.30 ish.

Think you mates is knackered.

Clio F1 R27
Not necessarily the VXR already torque steers, 230bhp would just make this worse.

I'd rather have the Cup with a set of fresh Pilot Exaltos and no wheel spin or torque steer.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
Not necessarily the VXR already torque steers, 230bhp would just make this worse.

I'd rather have the Cup with a set of fresh Pilot Exaltos and no wheel spin or torque steer.
Assuming its dry and no torque steer occurs (plus I don’t let go of the steering when I drive so torque steer isn’t a issue unlike J. Clarkson), Its just maths. Most people on here with a re-mapped and breathing modded 172 cup will get around 180bhp. Giving them a figure of 174 BHP per tonne.

All the vaux tuners are doing a basic remap/chip to 225-230 bhp giving a figure of 191 bhp per tonne. In a straight line maths has it

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
my vxr dosent tourqe steer in the dry. And no more than my 172 did in the wet with and poor road camber etc

not in a stright drag race. Assuming it was chipped to 230bhp like nearly all places do. 0-60 would be 5.9 seconds and 0-100 in 14.3

My Clio Cup used to 14.1 secs to 101 with 181 hp. I've been looking about on the VXR forum and there is no way a chipped 220-230 hp one will do 14.1@101 1/4 mile.

178hp 172 Cup
i honestly dont think there is anything in it!! a friend has a VXR but i am get to play with it in my cup!!

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP

My Clio Cup used to 14.1 secs to 101 with 181 hp. I've been looking about on the VXR forum and there is no way a chipped 220-230 hp one will do 14.1@101 1/4 mile.
I did say it was maths. From http://www.letstorquebhp.com/calculator.asp

But I am 100% confident that a 230bhp vxr would get to 100 quicker than a 180bhp 172cup

172 Cup
Outwith the pub chat of which is fastest the VXR is a lovely looking car and in the short test drive Ive took when shopping about at the end of last year seemed like a superb drive. Same driver would have to drag them to see which is faster I'd say though.....

clio 172 cup
a chipped 1 will do 0-60 in 6secs flat,near 100lb more torque,
courtneysport will fit ya slip diff if torque steer is to much,
corsa to win by a little upto 100 even in standard form.
compared graphs yestaday a 200bhp clio vs a chipped vxr 230bhp the corsa was producing 180bhp at 4k revs clio was only doing 110bhp,
clio for track- corsa for road.

But I am 100% confident that a 230bhp vxr would get to 100 quicker than I 172cup

Haha letstorque what a load of tripe, stop torquing b****cks... Fact is my Clio Cup with 181 hp (tested at dastek and star) did a 14.1@101 and would beat a chipped VXR up the 1/4 mile. I would put some serious money on my old Cup beating a chipped VXR with me driving.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP

But I am 100% confident that a 230bhp vxr would get to 100 quicker than I 172cup

Haha letstorque what a load of tripe, stop torquing b****cks... Fact is my Clio Cup with 181 hp (tested at dastek) did a 14.1@101 and would beat a chipped VXR up the 1/4 mile. I would put some serious money on my old Cup beating a chipped VXR with me driving.
ok well that will never happen as you dont have it anymore. BUT imo in a strightline the vxr would have it.

what about you in the clio V's you in the vxr?

Don’t get me wrong the Cup is a fantastic car and will go down in hothatch history as one of the best.

Tiff Needel did back to back laps of cadwell one in a 197 and one in the vxr corsa sometime. They were both standard demonstrators provided by the manufacturer. I think the 197 was a clear couple of seconds ahead over the lap so a 172 cup would be quicker still i reckon as it's not as lardy as the 197. I think both cars standard, on a 1/4 mile would be pretty close. Probably only a matter of feet, but a lap of a racetrack with bends it'd be the cup.

As more of a handling fan I just thought i'd a new element to the discussion!

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
Tiff Needel did back to back laps of cadwell one in a 197 and one in the vxr corsa sometime. They were both standard demonstrators provided by the manufacturer. I think the 197 was a clear couple of seconds ahead over the lap so a 172 cup would be quicker still i reckon as it's not as lardy as the 197. I think both cars standard, on a 1/4 mile would be pretty close. Probably only a matter of feet, but a lap of a racetrack with bends it'd be the cup.

Tiff a few years back did a similar comparison with a 182 and civic type R. where the type R won by about the same amount. Tiff said it handled that bit better too, but there are many on here with stories of when they saw of a CTR in there 182’s. So I’m not too bothered about that review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4-PI_rES6k

clio 172 cup
the corsa gets brilliant reviews about the handling ppl just seem to think cause old corsa were s**t this 1 handles s**t,the thing is once u buy a car in 6months u want more power nd u can with vxr's u cannot with clios(very expensive) most hot hatchs r going forced induction for a reason ppl like torque

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
the corsa gets brilliant reviews about the handling ppl just seem to think cause old corsa were s**t this 1 handles s**t,the thing is once u buy a car in 6months u want more power nd u can with vxr's u cannot with clios(very expensive) most hot hatchs r going forced induction for a reason ppl like torque

i agree. one of the reasons i brought one. its takes lots of ££££ and noise in the clio

Tiff a few years back did a similar comparison with a 182 and civic type R. where the type R won by about the same amount. Tiff said it handled that bit better too, but there are many on here with stories of when they saw of a CTR in there 182’s. So I’m not too bothered about that review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4-PI_rES6k

The 182 lost by 2 tenths of a second not 2 seconds like the VXR. 2 seconds is a big gap on a wee track like that.

Mk2 172

But I am 100% confident that a 230bhp vxr would get to 100 quicker than a 180bhp 172cup

Yeah ill go with that too. At the end of the day when you get both cars rolling the vxr WILL pull away. No doubt about that at all!!!

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
ok its been a long time sice i saw it the 182 CTR vid Neil. but like you say its a small track. ==slow track. The vxr hold the Ring record for the smalest hot hatch as it has good top end speed.

but its stright drag we are talikng about between a 172cup and corsa vxr not 197

MCS R56

5.9 secs...I would like to se that.

172 Cup v VXR - who gives a toss? Cup's aren't about straight line speed. I know which handles better.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP

5.9 secs...I would like to se that.

172 Cup v VXR - who gives a toss? Cup's aren't about straight line speed. I know which handles better.

5.9 secs.... I would like to see that ---like i said just maths:boring:

yes cups are not about stright speed. but the question wasnt which is fasted on a twisty track