ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172FF To Top speed slowly............

I've heard the 172ff's take a while to get flat out (claimed 138mph)after 100ph :dapprove:

Can anyone confirm if this is true or not ?

As i aint had a quiet road free of cops to try it yet, olny been to 100 and backed off.

I heard this from one of my bro's college mates..

What you guys think ?

Is this rubbish or not ?

Cheers Richard

iv got a cup at the mo, completely standard n she goes to 110 in 4th n gets to 125-130 ish in 5th with no probs, struggles after 130. but on my own with 1/4 of a tank of fuel iv had a road angel verified 142mph on a flat. a long flat at that though mate:D was goin so quick the shift light came on in 5th :rasp: . so your mates talkin...........well the dogs danglies!

They will do around 140mph ish, but I'd have thought it takes forever and a day to get there, Clio's as standard are s**t after 100mph

VW Golf TDI
I tried it out once, I was thinking I wonder how fast this car will go,

So I tried and it went to almost 140 on the clock then I thought how stupid am I and decided to slow back down!!!

P

Paul Common 666

Taken mine upto 125 a few times no probs but tends to stop acclerating so hard after that. Never been over 130ish in it though, public roads and that, thought 125 was silly speeds on road so slowed down. Upto 125 it was great though! who needs 130+ on roads tho, its track speeds, 125 was bad enough!

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
On a private road (police disclaimer)

Me and a Pal with a 182 have both hit then top end which is just over 140

There is no real difference at top whack between the two and we kept this going for around 5 miles.

First part of the drive was a long hill but the cars still managed to pull120 up- it.

VaVa
Mine hits a brick wall at about 125/130.

I think this is where the ultimate lack of peak power and having the aerodynamics of a brick make themselves felt lol.

It's A Reno
Mine's acceleration slows at 125ish and maxes out at 145/6 on the clock.
What that is allowing for speedo error is hard to tell.

This was on an Autobahn ofcourse.

Audi TT 225
my ph1 gets to 120 ish really quick but slows down loads after that, I got 145 out of it absolutly flat out and it was screaming!
Was in good conditions, flat straight road with a good surface. Was racing a really done up mk2 golf dunno what the heck he had done to it but he wasn't far behind me

wanna get mine on an airfield to test the top end, but properly on GPS as my clock gets pretty far out once up at higher speeds. 151mph on GPS with a passenger is the best I have had, but that was 158-159mph on the clocks :S

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
On a good day mine struggles after about 125ish, its seen 140 on the clock but couldn't see it doing much more as it is without going downhill.

Forgot to say mines completly standard

80MPG BEEZA
ive seen 123mph in a 1.2 clio! had 80k on the clock, mine will accelerate nicely upto 120mph never been over 135mph

Leon Cupra 300
5th gear @ 110 kills mine, but i suppose it will still pull better than most run of the mill cars.

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
What sort of RPM are we talking about, on your top speed. Mine stopped pulling on the straight at 6500 in 5th with an indicated 140mph.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
They are deffinately not all the same standard either.

The bro inlaw had a completley standard 172 until a few months after I bought mine. We had a drive in each others cars and even he said mine was quicker. Mine was a good 15mph quicker down the same stretch of dc before having to brake with either of us driving.

The only differences we know of is the fact that his had 3000 miles when he bought it and mine had 6 miles. I changed the oil in mine after 1500 miles and around every 6000 miles after. Who knows how his car had been driven/serviced before he got it.

I didn't run mine in as per the manual. I didn't redline it too much for the first 500 miles or so but if it was warm enough I would floor it every now and then, after 500 miles it just got driven according to the road conditions i.e. as hard as possible.

Maybe mine was quicker because of the way it had been driven for the first few miles. Maybe the manifolds matched the engine better or the engine is just one of the better ones? I've read quite a few posts in the past that mention fairly big differences with the internal components and tollerancies in the 172 engine.

I've maxed mine out on the Autoroute and it went well over 140 on the GPS, but my motor isn't stock, in standard trim it pulled 130 with ease, didn't bother going faster as 130 is quick enough to set you sent to prison.

R35 GTR
140mph = 1 mile every 26seconds

or my trip between wolves and andover in an hour. Done it in 1:45.lol.

But mine pulls easy to 140 with just me. Last weekend, I was 3 up with everyones luggage for a weekend away, with two bikes on roof. The car struggled to get over 100. with two people, 2 bikes on roof and less luggage, it still pulls to 120 easy.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
They do struggle a bit once 120 comes up.

Was talking to Paul J at the airfield, his GSXR 750 goes from 0-130 quicker than a Clio 172/182 goes from 120-130.

That kinda puts it into perspective.

VaVa
I'd like to max it on an autobah , but tbh straightlining my 182 is neither fun nor does it actually have a point.

Just about sums it up. Not very stable at high speeds either. Alright dead straight, but put a slight curve in at 120+ and my arsehole is going from ten pence to half a crown. lol.

my ph1 gets to 120 ish really quick but slows down loads after that, I got 145 out of it absolutly flat out and it was screaming!
Was in good conditions, flat straight road with a good surface. Was racing a really done up mk2 golf dunno what the heck he had done to it but he wasn't far behind me

I raced a mk2 golf gti (8v as 16v's have beesting on roof and 8v's have it sticking out wing) ;) god knows what he had under his but it went like f**k as well ?

He pee'd all over my in accelaration then at about 90 i caught up and was in line with him ;)

I thought he was a 1.8 turbo or vr6 but he'd have pissed all over my all the way over 90 if it was :(

Are the old mk2 16v torquey ?
As i thought the 8v had more than the 16v, how wrong was i :(

Last edited:

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I've seen an indicated 150mph. Obviously not accurate but GPS shows 97mph against 100mph for the speedo so not too far out.

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
i know this post is going to get a ribbing but i hit 150mph before when my car was standard ish. Going to Aldon Automotive for the Shitest ever rolling road day ever, about half 7 in the morning, completely dead stretch of road. Two other guys, Ballcrusher in his williams and another guy in a 182. Catching them up must of got in their slipstream because i absolutely shat myself and so did my passenger ;)

MCS R56
It's not got enough power and torque to get to the top speed quickly, from 100 and above. The drag becomes too much.