ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172ff tramping

172 ff silver
well my mrs bought a mint 172ff off of matt16v on here

its a beauty but as it was wet tonight i strugled to get the power down and it would often tramp when spinning off the line in first

is there a way of reducing/stoping this ?

thanks

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Change gear? Dont' rev the f**k out of it in 1st

And what is tramping?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Also if you do lots of fast starts from standing still the gearbox won't last long at all.

172 ff silver
i get off the line briskly without spining but i boot it and it just spins up and bang bang bang....

then i snick it into second feather the throttle a bit and feel traction so boot it and off she goes

its just that initial tramping in first if it breaks traction i cant do with

never had that problem in any volkswagen ive drove but have seen it in a few honda civics and my old mk2 xr2

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Any car that has no traction control will wheel spin in 1st in the wet, my old 1.2 corsa did it, really stop doing this now or you'll need a new gearbox.

And what is tramping?

Axle tramp - when wheelspin causes vibration basically. Feels like the wheels are juddering.

Mine does if I give a tad too much beans off the line. Not enough to get proper wheel spin, just too much.

Stinka - perhaps your tyres are crap/knackered if its doing it that easily? I've never had axle tramp once rolling. Span up in 4th in the wet when my tyres were worn though.

172 ff silver
near new mitch pilots on front

i do know all about launching cars and preventing wheel spin, if im trying to get a fast take off in a fwd i will feather the throtle abit with a short change to second untill i can get the powerdown

i really do not like to spin the wheels other than for very ocasional imature fun

tonight as it is our new car i was just pushing it to make sure all was well and noticed the tramping problem

obviously it was due to me spinning it up, and as i have mentioned this is not something i regularly do its just a trait of high powered fwd cars

my initial query was is this a known niggle of 172ff cars and is there a known solution

that is all :)

Silver Clio 172 Cup
If mine lose traction under hard acceleration I get horrible banging/vibrating. I'm hoping it's just the engine mounts but I don't think it is! It happens any time I lose any traction under acceleration, whether on the road in the wet or getting the power down too early out of bends on track on 888s. Really irritating - quite an effective form of traction control because it sounds/feels like it will knacker the car so it makes you back off pretty sharpish.

I've just been out and driven it quite hard and I also get this in the dry too mate.

Only in 1st though, never had it in other powerful cars either and mounts are fine!

It bangs because it looses traction for a split second then it comes back and then goes! Not sure how to fix it apart from control the throttle, which sucks.

Welcome to the L4yer
This is normal, just don't boot it so hard. My clutch and gearbox are knackered cos of this after 46k. Listen to DrRollo. My mates ST200 used to do this. All powerful front wheel drive cars will do this.