ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172FF tyres: Contis, GSD3 or Mich PE2?

Iceberg 172
My 172 has 3 Nankang tyres and one Michelin Primacy fitted (as bought), so I'm after at least two quality new tyres for the front.

I've seen various conflicting opinions on the best replacements - what seems to be the general concensus between:

(1) Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 (V pattern tread - I know they need to be Euro-supplied ones) - mixed views

(2) Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 - seem to get good reviews

(3) Continental Conti-Sports - weren't these OE?

Anyone tried two or three of these on a 172?

cheers

titanic killer
exaltos are prob the best or the cheaper option are the oe contis which ive had no probs with

mini cooper (RIP 172)
ive had all 3!

it's all about personal taste tho!

but i say Contis are good, dint last that long tho if pched round bends!

F1's grip very well, but i dint like them on the back, side wall feels soft:eek: great on the frount

but pe2's are great top class all round!

ive got pe's on the back and f1s on frount, which i find good, but will be gettin pe2's on frount when i need new ones

check this out - ***Tyre Poll***

Iceberg 172
Any views on which gives better ride comfort?

I know, but it's a consideration for me on the pot-holed streets of Leeds everyday, as much as outright grip is.

Iceberg 172
Having read through 14 pages of the Tyre Poll, (cheers Rob), it's obviously pretty close between GSD3s and PE2s.

Think I'm going to try the Goodyears, they're £10-£20 quid a corner cheaper and look dead cool ;)

mini cooper (RIP 172)
yer they look good;)

and from what you have said you'll love them! grip very well wet and dry and have a softer side wall so should have a better ride comfort!

i only like the ps2's better coz of the stiffer side wall:D which you might not like

Weeman sucks ****
ive had all 3!

it's all about personal taste tho!

but i say Contis are good, dint last that long tho if pched round bends!

F1's grip very well, but i dint like them on the back, side wall feels soft:eek: great on the frount

but pe2's are great top class all round!

ive got pe's on the back and f1s on frount, which i find good, but will be gettin pe2's on frount when i need new ones

check this out - ***Tyre Poll***

My thoughts exactly, I've tried all. The contis are great for about 3-4000 miles in the middle of their life then they go crap, then get ok near the illegal limit which is weird! The f1's have too much movement at the rear for me, especially when heavy braking.

The pe2's have been great, however they do melt when they get very hot on track. I'm happy to pay the extra for them though, do the job.

I'm sold on PE2's now.

They really are an all-round good tyre.
apart from in the heat which is like never in the UK

Iceberg 172
yer they look good;)

and from what you have said you'll love them! grip very well wet and dry and have a softer side wall so should have a better ride comfort!

i only like the ps2's better coz of the stiffer side wall:D which you might not like

It's a common sense compromise I need to make due to my driving patterns. Most of the daily grind is through the city, but with frequent motorway trips down the M62, often in the wet as I pass Manchester ;)

Sadly, I'd only get the marginal benefit of stiffer sidewalls on the odd occasion. Thanks all for your input.

mk3 golf gti
i have pirelli p zero neros on my ff172. know all about the pot holes of west yorkshire and find them excellent in all weathers and very good on long journeys. just thought i'd put it out there as no one mentioned them, all round great tyre, reasonable price too!

Iceberg 172
Got a couple of GSD3s on the front in the end today ~ £150 fully fitted. Only had a brief trip home in pissing rain so nothing learnt so far, other than one of my front hub cover bolts is bent and that the tracking need looking at.... :S

One step forward, two steps back..... :dapprove: