ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 - 12 month of bliss!

Word up.

Ive had my 04 Arctic Blue 182 Cup for nearly 1 year and wanted to share my experience of ownership - just in case it helps anyone who may be trying to decide whether this is the right car for them:) Hope its helpful!!

18 months ago i was looking to upgrade my T-reg 2.0 Seat Ibiza Gti... I test-drove a 172 and found it a little lack-lustre (didnt get a proper thrash, granted) and as much as the true 172 Cup appealed, its spec felt too raw for my daily living/commute/etc. But theyre my personal opinions only! So i sat tight, but nothing else on the market appealed (considered 206 180 and CTR).

This forum was one of the most helpful and accurate sources of information for all things Clio, and having logged on almost daily, the idea of a 182 Cup-pack started to make sense: fun factor, small car, great value, quick, affordable.

I did however become nervous about Renaults build quality, crafty/disorganised dealers and pricey parts. Looking back, this was probably because forum postings are usually from someone with strong praise/criticism on a topic. So, please remember that we often dont hear about the very satisfied majority!!:)

I needed a closer look.... The test drive was booked last April.

Black 182 Cup with 3k on clock. Me + missus. Warmed her up gently (the car) and found some open roads. Nothing had prepared me for the power surge in the top end. Nor that a Clio would turn heads. I was hooked within 15 mins. And very nearly single - my girlfriend was a delicate shade of p*ssed off. I placed my order the following week!!

I bought direct from Wests Renault Cambridge (£14,150, full Cup packs) having played 3 dealers off against each other and the www to get the best price. Sorry chaps, its just business;) I considered an import, but APR on a loan couldnt compete with Renaults 0% finance when all factors considered. Delivery was on time and in perfect nick.

The car had an oil change at 6,000 and its 12,000 service yesterday (£170, Wests of Cambridge). Its only had one warrenty claim - the common wing mirror whistle.

Pros: Understated but sexy, Seriously quick, Confident handling, Capable brakes, Economic for the power, Equally happy to rally as tootle, Roomy for its size, Decent boot, Everyone loves it, Wicked exhaust note, Decent stereo as standard, Reliable, Hooks for your coat.

Cons: A little more low-end torque wouldnt go amiss, May not hold its value as well as say the Minis/CTRs, am struggling to think of others now.....

IN SUMMARY: Im impressed. And enjoy the car more by the day. For the performance/practicality balance I dont think I could have found a better match. Its just a shame I dont have opportunity to put it through its paces more.

THANKS TO EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM FOR ALL YOUR HELP, ADVICE, LAUGHS AND PASSION FOR ALL THINGS PETROL.

Andy

[Edited by AndyG on 11 May 2005 at 11:22am]

About time there were some positve comments! Good write up, I too have been really impressed with my 182 - no probs in 16k miles, and nothing for the money touches it - in real terms you dont lose quite as much in depreciation as you might think, the best new deals I could get on a MCS/CTR were at least £3k more than a new 182.

Matt

Clio 200 Cup packed

ill echo all of that mate, had mine 10 month now, never a single problem and i think the only thing i would like is a bit more grunt low down in the revs.

i was thinking of changing it to a wrx in th next couple of months, but only because i get bored quickly, i could probably even buy another in a different colour (just for a change)

best 11k EVER spent i reckon...

Boxster S

Ive just brought mine, picking it up in a couple of weeks. Very similar situation, its replacing my Ibiza Cupra 20VT.

Hopefully Ill be as happy in 12 months as well :)

Quote: Originally posted by homerjay on 11 May 2005

i was thinking of changing it to a wrx in th next couple of months, but only because i get bored quickly,
Dont do it. I went from an RB5 (not what youre looking at but just as an example) to a 172 Cup, mainly for running cost reasons, and the Cup genuinely did not feel much slower and was heaps more involving to drive on a proper road. I appreciate that boggo UK turbo models are hardly what many would regard as representative of what an Impreza can really do but the bills are still hefty, and I would never risk cutting corners on such a car as it will probably cost you more in the long term. If youve got deep enough pockets then certainly give the WRX a try but I honestly found myself having more fun more of the time in my Cup or old tuned 106 GTi.

:)

tiTTy & SV650

Me + missus. Warmed her up gently (the car)

lol that made me laugh, ill do a similar post in a few weeks when mines 1 year old. Im on 20k nearly, well run in and faster than ever :D

soon to be a 200

Traded in my 172 for a leon tdi fr and would swap it back today miss it big time . wests of cambridge service dept are the best always helpfull.