ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182/172 v Nissan Pulsar

Clio 1.2 16v
Anyone raced a pulsar before? Drove my mates a few months ago and it's rather nippy!

His was the fastest pulsar @ fast car doin the 1/4 mile

Pulsar's are getting on a bit, most have been modded up to the eye's , there fast but ugly! if you could find a mint , low mile std one have a look!

leon

K

kit

there standard brakes aint up to it either......

my mate blew his on a 1/4 mile. shocking tbh.

but as most people say, there all kitted to the balls but still just a modified nissan sunny lol

Honda Civic Vtec 1.6
My mate bought one for £1800 off one of his mates
Had it 3 months and blew the engine
He did however sell it to some country lad for £1500 because the body work was mint, I only ever went in the back when he cained it but i sh*t myself
It was so low that when he bought it, he tried getting it on a low loader but realised it would damage the front putting it on
He also had to plan his routes as it wouldn't go over speed bumps (seems a bit pointless to me)
I believe it was upgraded but only from what he told me
Gotta say it felt hell of a lot faster than my 182
It also still had the umbrella in the door and flair gun
I would love one but it would have to be as a second car because it was so impractical
Craig
:)

You mean the "interwarmer" that's sat ontop of something nice and hot, lol.

I think some people forget that there was an NA variant about and go telling everyone how they wasted one thinking it was a turbo. But ugly, s**t handling, crap brakes etc. Most are hanging so would need to spend a fortune to make it worth having but it would still be ugly as sin and have a w**k 90s jap interior :dead:

RS 172
Its probably one of the ugliest cars ever made, but still if you can handle the looks their pretty cool. They sound pretty awesome when they go past and the dump valve blows off.

Ph1 172
I had a pulsar running just over 300bhp on a fully forged engine before My clio. I bought mine for 5k and it was the best one I could find at the time, yet I stil had to shell out for a top end rebuild within months of owning it. Shortly after the clutch started going and I was quoted 800 parts and labour to get a new one fitted, I decided to cut my losses here and sell her. Fantastic handling (with suspension mods) and very very fast but also far to unreliable for the mileage I do.

As per the engine being the same as the s14, they are both very similar however the s14 has a primative form of VVT which the pulsar doesnt. Also the pulsar has quad throttle bodies where the s14 doesnt.

Swift Sport
Yeah, I raced one a few months back on the M5... At first I was keeping up, but then it gradually crept away :(

I've also heard that they're really unreliable, the guy who does the Cannonball Rally in one breaks down every 5 minutes! lol

Ph1
I overtook my mates with suprising ease off a roundabout and on to a duel section.

His was pretty standard, IK and zorst. Mine had cams, inlet IK but i was running a blown SMT6 which was rolling roaded at 180bhp at the time.

Mk1 RT + F7p + 172 Brakes
clutches are big issues on pulsars

they seem to be made out of whipped cream and jelly....load of trifle

182trophy & Williams
they're all engine tweeked aren't they, i would have thought we'd get crapped on by one!

yep.even standard they'd dick a 182.as said alot are running well over 300 bhp, some are even in the 400's........evo eaters

clio 182 FF
I had one but kept melting my clutch lol
lots of hard launchs kills it plus the sync went quite alot
it was the still I drove it ( Too hard )

visualize whirled pe
they're all engine tweeked aren't they, i would have thought we'd get crapped on by one!

yep.even standard they'd dick a 182.as said alot are running well over 300 bhp, some are even in the 400's........evo eaters

True. A guy I worked with had one imported and that was standard. Noticibly quicker than a 1*2 from a standstill. He'd rev to about 4000rpm and let her go, the grip was amazing, it just bit into the tarmac and launched.

When I took my clio in to have some worked done there was a modified GTir sat there waiting to be fixed with a blown gear box. I always thought nissans were bullet proof, I'm surprised by the stories of unreliability on here I wonder why they seem to have so many probs. and if they are like r5gtt's (fine untill you start to ***** around 'upgrading' them).

I know from my valeting days, seeing plenty of them, that they are affected by dreaded rust in the rear arches. There seems to be few fans of the styling on CS but I actually like the way the pulsar looks, kind of like a group B rally car, everyone knows the oldskool group B stuff isnt pretty (except perhaps the RS200).

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I think they have potential.

I think some of the heavier modified ones look very good but as standard I'm not a big fan.

Very quick cars, 227bhp standard and do not weight alot and iirc 5.7 to 60 standard (dependant on if it is the shorter or longer ratio box though) so I cannot really see any clio keeping up with one unless thousands have been spent.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Very quick cars once tweaked....tuned gti-r was one of the few cars to beat my old itb'd hybrid, near stnd they are still nippy....

LY 182
clutches are big issues on pulsars

they seem to be made out of whipped cream and jelly....load of trifle
er no, the fact that most that buy them map them to 300+bhp..
and 300 brake and 4wd on any standard clutch isnt really going to last too long.
and if you have ever done a clutch on one you will see why its considered a bit of an issue :nono:

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Alot of negative press for the Pulsar here. Yeah unfortunately the drive train is unreliable and fragile. Clutches are expensive, but then again most 4WD performance cars cost a fair bit to have a clutch done.

As for the engine, as standard they're at the top of their tree in terms of stress. Though a strong forged engine, with NO more than 300 hp is comfortably reliable.

I'd say a tuned Impreza is pretty costly to run and ALL classic STi engines bite the bullit without fail. Plus they have transmission issues also.

I feel the Pulsar can be forgiven for sublime levels of balance and grip in tight corners. Not too far off an Intergrale and definatley better than an Impreza.

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
I had a race with a cocky guy in a pulsar and pissed all over him.Gave me loads of abuse saying my little french car was a pile of shite and not worth a light until i unleashed 28psi worth of 1.4 on him.

Yeah, I raced one a few months back on the M5... At first I was keeping up, but then it gradually crept away :(

I've also heard that they're really unreliable, the guy who does the Cannonball Rally in one breaks down every 5 minutes! lol

Ha Ha,

Hi Guy's I'm the one that has the GTIR that competed in the cannoball8000 3 times.

Yes I broke down in it on the 1st year but that was due sitting at a constant 150mph for over an hour. (At which point my original water pump gave out on me) At that point I had'nt had much done to the engine. (Running Quaiffe Gearbox though)

As for the second year I still had'nt put forged piston's in and my penalty for racing a porsche GT3 at upto 168mph for 30mins (still on the same Quaiffe Gearbox) was that I spun the bottom end.

Howerver the third year (2006) I had had the engine rebuilt, the turbo changed and a OS Giken Twin Plate Clutch (still with the Quaiffe Box) that was run at Ten of the Best that year just a couple of weeks prior to the cannonball8000. I had no problems during the race or during ten of the best.

So if you want the opinion of someone that has used the GTIR beyond the original means of the machine I can comment.

The car on the whole, is said by some people as Ugly on the other hand, I as many people who own them see them as mean looking. For example if you had one stuck on your rear end would you move? Or would you think its all show?

Yes the car can be unreliable but that only happens when people tune up certain parts and not the rest. Yes its easy to turn up the boost and not worry about the fuel. Who are you goin to blame when the car goes bang though? The same goes for the gearbox, you keep the power as standard and it'll love you for years. Tune it up then it ends in tears.

The engine on a whole is good and will run safely roughly until 330 bhp, then its up to you if you want to do anthing more to it.

As for the clutch and gearbox, yes the original gearbox is a bit weak, but look on the other hand they are not that new anymore. Clutch's can vary and I firmly believe that you need to look at the power you want before you choose, Hiteq, RC Developments, Norris Designs and DP Motorsport will give you advice before choosing.

As for the standard brakes, ha ha put it this way I cooked mine before now on 2 roundabout's on a dual carriageway (sp) with my standards. One of the 1st things needed are 4 pots :)

So on a whole the car is fun if not a little dated, oh and also loves to have an affair with petrol stations. In my case it was the Shell petrol station in Wrexham where on a good day I could get 10 MPG!!!!

But hey the car was fun and it put the more expensive cars to shame. So I'll drink to that!!!

clio 16v
all very well but could a standard one beat a 182? like all cars really, start messin with them and they brake

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
This car reminds me of the R5 GTT. Its a realible car, Theres nothing wrogn with it, But its stereotyped as unreliable as people dont tune them properly, Too much boost on standard internals is why most go, Its all too easy to up the boost. Standard they arent unreliable, As stated, They have the SR20 DET lump, Awesome engine.

In standard form, They have a poor gearbox and clutch, A Restrictive top mount interwarmer, And shoddy brakes.

Even the newer ones will be approaching 15 years old, And they look wnak, But thats the appeal. No one expects a Nissan Sunny to be pulling 12 sec 1/4s.

For the price of a 182, You will get a molly coddled, No expense spared 350bhp+ Weapon that will put perform alot of things. My mate recently purchased one witha very recently rebuilt Norris Designs 360bhp lump, Coilovers, 17s, 4 Pots, Carbon Fibre Buckets, Good tyres and Quiffe Box for £4,500.

The engine can probably handle another 50bhp before it becomes unrelaible. Its an absolute weapon.

It costs as much as an Impreza to run and insure mind.

They are stereotyped (Mainly on this forum) as unrelaible and crap, In standard form, They are faster than a 182, Obviously not in the twisties, But its a 2.0 Turbo 4wd Car after all.

They dont have to be unrealiable, Same fate as the R5 as said, That is thought to be unreliable, But as a few people know (Those who know what they are talking about) A decent, Well looked after R5 is no less relaible than a 182, Same applies with the Pulsar.

Advantage of the Pulsar is, You wont find many for sale, that dont have a Front Mount, 4 Pots and a Decent clutch as a minimum, Most will be proven, reliable 270-300bhp ones too.

Problem is people buy a £2k one and expect it to be relaible, The 4-5k examples are as relaible as any newer car, Adn a damn site faster.

They are ugly and hate to be insured though :)

133/225/CLS AMG
I used to have respect for them, until one sat on my rear bumper (of my 172) so when he was along side me I put the window down and asked him what his issue was.

He proceeded to tell me to 'buy a proper car' and then nailed it off and dangerously cut the driver in front of me up on a round about. The term c*nt sprung to mind.

They go like stink but look like a heap of ar$e!! 400bhp or not, they are still cheap and old!!