ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 - 1st gear traction

Does anyone else have trouble getting a clean start in 1st gear, even with traction on? I can nail it without any spin but as soon as I hit 5,000rpm a few yards down the road, I get terrible tramping wheel spin even in the bone dry.

Ive found I have to short-shift into second almost just before the 5k point or Ill get bogged down in a tramping tyre shredding mess. This obviously isnt a problem as its all part of learning how best to use the car, but does the traction control actually do anything at all? It seems very easy to beat.

Mondeo STTDCI

Its sometimes better to turn it off to get a clean start.

It IS very cold and wet at the minute also.

its near impossible without the banging, my cup was the same, i got used to it and you pull away fairly quick, but then get it in second and give it the death

Lee

BMW M2C

The 182 is a hell of a lot easier to launch than the 172 ever was.

Wait for some dry roads and youll be impressed with it then.

Im quickly learning not to bother hitting 5k in first gear. Just as the neddle passes 5k, the acceleration goes supersonic....a milisecond before the front tyres light up - even on a bone dry road! I dont mind it, because its my right foot doing the driving, I was just thinking the TC must be very very mild.

tiTTy & SV650

Makes me laugh when folk get excited about these new 200bhp front wheel drives like astra and new golf and even the new 250bhp civic theyre predicting - imagine how little traction theyre gonna have and how much torque steering theyll suffer from.

1st aint very good in everyday conditions, 2nd is such a blast though, love the almost v8 like throb the engine makes muahaha :devilish:

ROundabouts on motorways are great, I love nailing it in 2nd and then working through the gears, ure doing way over the national speed limit in no time and a glance in the rear view mirror never fails to impress when you see how far behind everyone else is!

But the twisties are what hot hatches are made for of course.

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 26 January 2005
the clios feels scary to me on the twisties, i dont feel safe at all

I think the reality there is, youre doing speeds that are pushing the car and you can feel whats going on. Youd probably find that when you feel like that, youre actually going a lot quicker thatn you might be in any other car at the same point. Perhaps.

i dunno really, perhaps im just over cautious, and i used to have a cup, and at the time there was lots of horror stories about them getting stacked, so perhaps if i did push it then it would probably just grip down and suprise me

tiTTy & SV650

the clios feels scary to me on the twisties, i dont feel safe at all
You cant enjoy your car then if you feel like that, I think the power steerings a bit too light - which makes me uneasy sometimes but the car feels stable when youre blasting the old b-roads.

But the cars capable of pretty high speeds, I find myself doing 70 on bends where Id have only hit 60 in my 205gti.

I guess its all down to getting you into (and out of) trouble faster, seeing as it goes like sh_t off a slippery shovel.

But at the end of the day only drive at speeds you feel comfortable with.

im mostly ok, its just mildy tight bends at speed, the car just feels a little light, the cup was the same

I think I know what you mean, it sometimes feels so light its about to leave the road. But thats only ever when Im caning it, and even then, I know Im going faster than I would be in a similar fast car. I am also finding that at this point I can pitch it in and it still just keeps on giving more grip, although dont take that on faith and stack it!

I just find that my arse cheeks tell me whats going on. Ive only had the car a week today and I already feel at one with it. Thats not to say I dont respect it though, cos I know it can bite me in the ass.

Clio 200 Cup

Do you not think it would make sense to give the 182 a slightly longer 1st gear? Even my mates mk1 172 struggles for any grip at all when 1st gear gets past 5000rpm

Yaris Hybrid

I know what you mean, after a while they feel slow on dual carriageways but when you take them out on a twisty road it suddenly dawns on you how quick they are.

Its not that the car doesnt give you confidence, its just that you sort of dont trust yourself to show restraint and you realise how easily the car could get you hurt.

As for first gear, I dont drag race so I have never used full throttle in 1st. I just pull away like a granny and once I get into second I floor it.

The one thing I have noticed is that she feels much more stable under braking now the brakes have bedded in a bit. From new, she was a skittish sl*g when braking even moderately hard, from medium speeds.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member

on damp and wet roads my car spins its wheels in second when it gets to 5k and the TC never seems to come on :confused: in my focus if the wheels even slightly lost grip TC was on TBH it was too intrusive but i think the clio could do with it being a little more sensitive

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 26 January 2005

I know what you mean, after a while they feel slow on dual carriageways but when you take them out on a twisty road it suddenly dawns on you how quick they are.

Its not that the car doesnt give you confidence, its just that you sort of dont trust yourself to show restraint and you realise how easily the car could get you hurt.

As for first gear, I dont drag race so I have never used full throttle in 1st. I just pull away like a granny and once I get into second I floor it.

i mostly have confidence, but occasionaly it just scares me, but when i have pushed it further it does seem to grip brilliantly, i think you just need to push that barrier

agree with all thats been said.. especially that you are going faster than you think.. the 182 is probably too fast for its shape and size.. ohh well thats half the fun.

could do with an LSD though to get the power down as its embarasing when the hard knocking happens when you floor it.. it usually happens just before the time you need to lift you foot off a bit. totally wrecks launching most of the time.. there must be a definative fix.

Clio 200 Cup

Can you hear the knocking noise from outside? I dont wanna sound like my cars about to fall apart when i buy my 172 and launch it up pod!

Quote: Originally posted by stevoversteer on 26 January 2005

Can you hear the knocking noise from outside? I dont wanna sound like my cars about to fall apart when i buy my 172 and launch it up pod!
TBH its soo loud it feel like it could wake the dead. Very embarassing if you have passengers and its like adding salt to a wound when you know the scooby in front is going to launch from the lights and your behind thinkin "il give him a shock at the very least but then as the scoob pulls cleanly and smoothly you light up the wheels slowly gaining traction as you accelerate it could all be ok.. as soon as the tyres do stop theres goinna be a lot of instant traction !! but then hidious knocking from the engine and no forward progress makes you crap yourself and others are confused as to whats wrong with your car.

yes it is that bad. id rather spin my wheels and wait for them to grip than feel that banging.

Clio 200 Cup

I just cant believe this is the case from the early 172s right through until the current 182s? What are renault playing at? surely its a very easy problem to fix by using some more efficient engine mounts? Especially considering the popularity of the cars.

Quote: Originally posted by Dan_mk1 on 26 January 2005

Wheelspin is fun ;)
but the engine knock isnt. and as soon as the wheel spin ocurs the engine bangs..

anyone i.e GDI do a fix for this so when i go down and get the 182 tuned i can get this sorted at the same time.

BTW all this talk of 0-60 times, its almost impossible to even rolling start the car and hammer it in 1st without serious banging once into the 5k region due to the burst of power.. so forget cool 0-60 runs or drag races.

yeh its a little embarrasing when you try to pull away quickly, especially trying to explain to your mates that how they are !!

Interesting question - does this happen with the non-cup suspension?

For the record - it really doesnt bother me, as clearly power is overcoming traction at this point, and a shift up is needed. My intitial question was really based on the TC not catching it and dumping the power.

the fix is what you want not ignoring the problem.. why not start in 2nd gear and have 0-60 in 10seconds. first is there for rapid launches if it doesnt work then the car is useless. i want to be able to wheel spin for england knowing i can lift of if i want without the engine poping out of the bonnet first.

anyone know what the cure is and who can do this for me.. ?
its not the ESP either or the ABS or the suspension or the tyres or anything like that even though it does feel like heavy application of the ABS its actually something to do with the engine mounts i think but i dont know who fixes it or how to get it fixed myself. :cry:

I dont think youll find a cure, I remember it being the same in the CTRs Ive driven Im sure. It was in my brothers at least...he used to get the tramping and no clean spin.

Do we have any chassis/supension engineers in the house?

no, my cup did the same, and that didnt have traction control

Ok cheers that rules that out

TDI tyre shreader

my 1.8 tddi focus estate struggles for grip in this weather and that has an almighty 90bhp, really greasey roads around me at the mo. My 172 is the same but was fine in the dry. not really the right conditions to be hooning around IMHO!!