ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 brakes, faaaaaaaade...

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
When I first got my 182 I thought the brakes were brilliant, really bit well. But after a bit of a drive fter the gym tonight i had major fade and I hadn't been pushing them stupidly hard, or even for a long amount if time, maybe 5 mins tops!

Just wondered if it's just because I have got used to them, in the same way as i'm used to the speed now?

The standard discs and pads are in good condition. But I have some redstuff's to go on, which I think I will do this weekend, i'm guessing these will help the problem?

Also thinking of getting braided lines and uprating the fluid, I'm guessing this will help too?

What fluid do I want to be buying, I know there are loads of different grades.
I don't want to change the discs yet as they have loads of life left in them so I don't see the point.

2002 Cup172
i had a major brake fade in my cup172, My first thought was that my front brakes were going but they were in good condition too but it happened again so brought some uprated discs and pads from K-tec and that sorted the major brake fade. now there is only slight fade when hammering it but i think thats down to not keeping enough temprature in the discs and or the brake fluid is getting too hot in the engine bay. i'm considering heat shielding or insulating the fluid bottle to see if this helps but if not ill try think of something else. if you or anyone reading this can help that would be good.

cheers

Mr Cake

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
On my old track 172, the standard brakes never EVER faded.

If I was you, i'd flush the fluid as 80/90% of the time, old brake fluid is to blame.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Yeah, I think I'll get the EBC's on and bleed the brakes to begin with. Is it worth getting uprated fluid? Is it 5.1 thats the best?

VRS
Yeah, I think I'll get the EBC's on and bleed the brakes to begin with. Is it worth getting uprated fluid? Is it 5.1 thats the best?

5.1 is the good stuff but you need to change it more often, approx every 12months

4.1 is good and will last longer but not quite as sharp as the 5.1

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Not fussed about changing it really, just want to have the car performing well.
Know any good places to buy it from?

Appreciate the help.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Nice one, did you bleed the front and rears with it then, or just the fronts?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Castrol Super 4 is what i use in my M3.

My mate recomended it to me (he races cars).

VRS
Nice one, did you bleed the front and rears with it then, or just the fronts?

full change, as daniel says castrol super 4 is the other alternative, i opted for the ap racing as it was thrown in when i bought my lines for a good price :D

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Thanks for the help :)

Do you need any special tools to bleed the brakes, never done it before but wouldnt mind having a blast myself, good thing to know how to do in my opinion.

VRS
Thanks for the help :)

Do you need any special tools to bleed the brakes, never done it before but wouldnt mind having a blast myself, good thing to know how to do in my opinion.

i deally you need a bleeding kit, tbh its the one area of the car ive left up to someone with experience, i did the pads and discs but left the lines and fluid up to a mechanic mate who had the bleeding kit

its an area i want to be perfect lol

im sure there will be someone on here local to you with the kit doesnt take long to do you just to do it properly

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I have a few mates who know their stuff about cars, do a fair bit of motorsport based stuff so should be able to get them to help me out, but just wondered if there was anything in particular to check for.

I see your point about a pro though, i trust them if they say they know what they are doing though!
I'll look into it all over the next few days and sort something out :)

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
You are a legend mate, appreciate the links.
Hopefully there wont be a thread up sunday night 'my brakes failed'!

Order some Motul RBF600 from Camskill it IS the best brake fluid.. its a DOT 3.

DOT ratings have no bearing on fade whatsoever, the DOT rating is how well it resists water absortion. What you want to look out for is the dry and wet boiling points, which is what causes fade, for which there is no comparison for the MOTUL fluid. Only downside is having to bleed every 6 months or every trackday i do..

I would recommend Ferrodo pads over EBC, for which i have good experience from both.

Elise S1 B&C 140
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but im changing my fluid this weekend, will 1 litre be enough to bleed the full system? or will i need 1.5litres??

Any help appriciated

black/gold 182
Order some Motul RBF600 from Camskill it IS the best brake fluid.. its a DOT 3.

DOT ratings have no bearing on fade whatsoever, the DOT rating is how well it resists water absortion. What you want to look out for is the dry and wet boiling points, which is what causes fade, for which there is no comparison for the MOTUL fluid. Only downside is having to bleed every 6 months or every trackday i do..

I would recommend Ferrodo pads over EBC, for which i have good experience from both.

are you refering to the ferodo ds pads? track ones or road ones? just about to buy ferodo's myself.
cheers

BMW M5 & E36
Had Ferodo DS2500's and Goodridge braided lines fitted at Birchdown yesterday, so much better than standard!

On standard discs. 5.1 Lucas fluid.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My 172 brake where fantastic, 182 ones feel pretty poor in comparison.

Mondeo TDCI 130

Have you had them apart dude, gaz's were shicking when he gt his 182, the pads were seized in the carrier!! Made them 90% better with a clean and grease!!

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Moisture levels increase in the brake system the longer you leave the fluid in without changing it so on a road car this could be an issue if you are boiling the fluid. One with a higher wet boiling point will be better in these cases..

for track / race cars a dry boiling point is more critical as there isn't the chance for moisture to build up as fluid is changed more frequently..

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
For fluid Castrol super response 4, end of discussion! Used by BMW on their M models and Porsche on all variants including motorsports.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

Have you had them apart dude, gaz's were shicking when he gt his 182, the pads were seized in the carrier!! Made them 90% better with a clean and grease!!

Wouldn't say they where that bad, but on a spirited drive in wales i can get them fading. Track day in 2 weeks so will see ;)

b/g 182, meg tourer
i found that when i swapped my standard 182 wheels for oz ultraleggera's it helped brake fade enormously.
fresh fluid helps too
braided lines sharpen up the pedal feel slightly

106 GTi
For fluid Castrol super response 4, end of discussion! Used by BMW on their M models and Porsche on all variants including motorsports.

Glad to hear I am running good stuff in the 106 !

Used in both of the racecars too.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I always thought brake 'fade' was when the pad failed to bite into the disc because of a layer of gas escaping from the overheating binding resin that holds the pad compound material together - giving a cushion of 'air' that stops the pad contacting the disc properly - hence why Brembo Max discs exist...the grooves cut into them allow the cushion of gas to be broken/dissipated.

Poor fluid and a squishy pedal isn't technically fade - just an inability to translate your pedal pressure into pad pressure against the disc.

Both are scary if you're not expecting it though!

I'm now using some basic over the parts-counter Peugeot stuff that Yozza threw at me. Dirt cheap, comes in 250ml bottles so you never waste too much...and f*** me it's good...I've not had one grumble or sign of weakness from it yet.

a thirsty one
im experimenting with pads at the minute, using brembo hc, goodridge hoses front and rear with 5.1 fluid combined with mintex m1155 all round at the moment and although you do get a little squeal at certain cold temps they are very strong. a little more on/off with feel than softer pads but nothing to worry about, i have noticed they seem quite harsh on the discs the discs are always clean and shiney now even the rear when with road pads the discs were often discoloured (rears mostly) i think the 182 alloy design is partly to blame for heat issues due to poor cooling design.