ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 brakes gone squishy over the winter

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Just wondering if anyone can give me some guidance on this before I start taking the brakes off.
The brakes were fine last year and I’ve not had any need to drive the car until now.

The brake pedal goes hard if I pump it with the engine off. If I start the engine the pedal goes to the floor and the brakes feel really weak.

Possibly the fluid needs replacing or will it be something more involved? Any ideas how I can narrow down the issue?

Any advise appreciated 👍

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Check for fluid leaks first. If none id assume something might have gone on the master cylinder. Prob try a bleed first.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Check for fluid leaks first. If none id assume something might have gone on the master cylinder. Prob try a bleed first.
Thanks, no leaks that I can spot. I’ll probably need to replace the callipers. One of the bleed nipples has rusted off so unable to bleed it 😩

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Thanks, no leaks that I can spot. I’ll probably need to replace the callipers. One of the bleed nipples has rusted off so unable to bleed it 😩
Rather than replace the whole caliper get the bleed screw drilled out and replaced.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Rather than replace the whole caliper get the bleed screw drilled out and replaced.
20230823_122200242_iOS.jpg

I'm not sure if this is too obvious, but has my brake fluid leaked out of the bleed nipple snapped hole?