ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 brakes

tiTTy & SV650

Anyone had a problem with their brakes?

I was driving to work this morning and the brakes felt utter sh_t, as though the servo wasnt working maybe?!

Anyone else suffered a similar thing?

Cheers, Rory

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Nope, nothing here.

I have found tho that they do seem slightly better than my 172, although still not as good as an uprated setup.

tiTTy & SV650

the brakes are superb usually, just felt really crap this morning. Its not exactly unusually cold or wet either, just the normal cold n wet.

182 Spiced

my brakes are sh*te, ive been back twice to have them looked at and on both occasions reno. have said - theres no problem. I think there may be an issue with fluid, if i take my foot off and then put it back on the brake pedal its much more firmer and doesnt go in so much.

Clio 1.4, SV650S

Quote: Originally posted by 182 Spiced on 10 March 2005

my brakes are sh*te, ive been back twice to have them looked at and on both occasions reno. have said - theres no problem. I think there may be an issue with fluid, if i take my foot off and then put it back on the brake pedal its much more firmer and doesnt go in so much.
my car does that, i always thought its how brakes work, moving hydraulic fluid with pistons etc.

Ive had two occasions where Ive had to press the brake pedal to the floor for it to slow down. Admittedly I was flying and needed to pull up sharp, but I was expecting it to pull up quicker than it did.

Will they improve through time? The car was only 1 day old when it first happened and 6 days the second time.

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by entjm on 10 March 2005

my car does that, i always thought its how brakes work, moving hydraulic fluid with pistons etc.
well the hydraulic fluid moves the pistons too so depends what end you mean I guess.

Yaris Hybrid

Mine seemed dodgy this morning for the first mile. I reckon its just cold and damp too. Never had to press the pedal to the floor though. By dodgy I just mean not quite as sharp as when they are warm.

tiTTy & SV650

anyone else suffer the hideous problem of brakes seizing up after youve washed the car or in the wet weather when its sat and the discs rust up? Its brutal trying to pull away sometimes.

I presume this has always been a problem with rear disc cars?

Clio 1.4, SV650S

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 10 March 2005

Quote: Originally posted by entjm on 10 March 2005

well the hydraulic fluid moves the pistons too so depends what end you mean I guess.

well i assume that there will be valves in the system for the ABS etc and hydraulic fluid moves around in a similar way to inside a Hydraulic jack which would explain why after a few quick presses on the pedal it firms up. priming the brakes in a way.

i will look into this....

Weeman sucks ****

I know ive got a 172 cup but my brakes are crap in the wet if ive driven a long stretch without using them, not sure what that is?!

Clio 1.4, SV650S

Something to do with this?

"Brake booster: A vacuum device that multiplies pedal effort at the cost of pedal travel and pedal firmness. Virtually universal on passenger cars. "

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/glossary/b.htmhttp://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/glossary/b.htm

which made me look at power assisted brakes....

Power assisted brakes cause the change in firmness, and travel of the pedal. Sat stationary push hard a few times on the brakes youll notice the pedal firm up.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-brake.htmhttp://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-brake.htm

unless i read all that wrong... hmm

[Edited by entjm on 10 March 2005 at 5:43pm]

i had a similar thing the other night when i was going quite quickly and had to brake sharply, but has been ok since

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

iv had this as well and had the rear pads changed and it was fine for a week then awful again, think there is a problem, arnold clark of course couldnt find it

I drove my mates 182 the other night and i was suprised at how soft his brakes compared to my mk1 172, there was a diffinate ellimante of spungyness there and i have to say they didnt feel as powerfull as mine. maybe this was just a temperature thing, i bit more heat might have done the trick.

I have found the brakes need to be used briskly or they start to soften up...Ive put it down to glazed pads (a gay guess)

The bit in my brain that controls the left foot is still in non-abs mode so the tendency to feather/pump is still strong.

Add that to the bit that still thinks im driving a one litre Fiat and the horizon gets very close, VERY fast.

Ive had to use mine in a major way twice already on successive nights but each occassion has felt strong -stronger, no doubt, if id been more committed with the pressure.

I have respect for you 172-ers. Without the electric trickery, id have stuffed it 2 days into ownership

Yikes

BMW 330d :)

Ive had a close call without abs on a soaking off-ramp with diesel spilt as well. The only way i avoided the cars that were already smashed up on the verge was by pumping the brake pedal to be able to steer. Missed them by inches!

New change of underwear needed afterwards as id only had the car for a week since new.

Fraser

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by Frasers Cup on 11 March 2005

Ive had a close call without abs on a soaking off-ramp with diesel spilt as well. The only way i avoided the cars that were already smashed up on the verge was by pumping the brake pedal to be able to steer. Missed them by inches!

New change of underwear needed afterwards as id only had the car for a week since new.

Fraser

Takes balls to take your foot off the brakes in these situations doesnt it! Had to do it in my old 205gti, arghhhh