ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Catalytic Converter stolen - what should i do?

Hey guys, long time member but not posted for a longass time... but now i kinda need some advice :/

A couple of nights ago i disturbed some toerags stealing the cat from my Clio 182. Sadly they got away having cut out the entire section, through my aftermarket exhaust and through the downpipe. They took everything in between :(

I could do with some advice on what they actually took and how much itll cost to replace the parts. Because im getting some conflicting info from mechanics, insurance etc. Is it even possible to source an original cat?

The car is a Clio 182 16v 2005 Sport with a Scorpion Daytona aftermarket exhaust fitted a couple of years ago when the original exhaust system corroded into an unfixable mess.

Id even consider selling the car 'as is' to an enthusiast who could use the car for parts if the insurance Co refuse to pay for it to be repaired.

Can anyone help with some advice? Any more info you need from me?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
A standard 172 Exhaust and Cat (if it’s even still available!) is over £1200 from a main dealer. Manifold - no idea what they cost new. I’d imagine it would be in that ball park for a 182

your best bet is to take a cash settlement (if they will??) and buy some secondhand parts.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Nightmare! Knew it wouldnt be long before they started targeting the clio as the cats are worth £450 scrap!

If theyve damaged the manifold it's a subframe drop job to replace. You can pick on up for about £50 though. I'd then be getting a simple sports cat or decat that joins up to your centre section. Send some photos of you have them of the damage.

Itll almost certainly be a writeoff in the insurers eyes

Attachments

• DSC02397.JPG
    DSC02397.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 447
  • DSC02398.JPG
    DSC02398.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 448
  • DSC02396.JPG
    DSC02396.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 426

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Kudos to the thieves that’s a nice clean cut at least.

Any exhaust place should be able to weld you a new flange on the manifold.
Then your going to need a new cat (probably aftermarket) and a lambda sensor.

Craigy69k

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 182 FF
Scumbags. Not the end of the world though, new sport cat and lambda sensor should be around 100 for a cheapo to 300 for a k-tec one and then get it fitted at a garage. Not worth getting rid of your car for mate

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
450 quid scrap now?! Sickens me to think I let one go in 2012 for 40 quid to the tat man.

Then your going to need a new cat (probably aftermarket) and a lambda sensor.
This is the item i really need u guys expert advice on cos ive been quoted through a Renault Dealership about £2,250 + VAT just for the cat!

That feels waaaay too much imo.

And considering the Daytona exhaust has one attached is there another one theyve taken between the exhaust section and the downpipe?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
This is the item i really need u guys expert advice on cos ive been quoted through a Renault Dealership about £2,250 + VAT just for the cat!

That feels waaaay too much imo.

And considering the Daytona exhaust has one attached is there another one theyve taken between the exhaust section and the downpipe?
If you're worried theyll come back just get a cat for MOTs and run a decat. Either that or buy a cheap aftermarket cat off Ebay. They're not worth enough to steal.

You need 1 post cat lambda.

Clio Sport
Nightmare! Knew it wouldnt be long before they started targeting the clio as the cats are worth £450 scrap!

If theyve damaged the manifold it's a subframe drop job to replace. You can pick on up for about £50 though. I'd then be getting a simple sports cat or decat that joins up to your centre section. Send some photos of you have them of the damage.

Itll almost certainly be a writeoff in the insurers eyes
That's a great idea tell everyone what they're worth on a public domain forum...👍

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Ouch!

I'd go for the option of taking it to a proper exhaust place, getting them to weld on a flange or vband and do the same to the exhaust and weld in a section of pipe for the decat or an aftermarket cat

That's a great idea tell everyone what they're worth on a public domain forum...👍
Its easily accessible information. All you have to do is go on ebay, type in "182 catalytic converter" and see what they've recently listed and sold for

Where was your car parked surely a grinder cutting metal would make a racket.
In a block of flats carpark which has plenty of cars coming and going so noise isnt unusual.

It was parked literally 10 metres away from my flat window in the blocks carpark. Its fkin dark behind the block (which is now being seriously discussed), so dark i could only just make out the headlights on my car. And yes i looked out the window when i heard the noise (double glazing so not as loud as u would think). So we reckon it took them 10minutes to get away with it all told.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
I still loved that thief who was crushed by a car and killed stealing the cat. Karma is a b**ch....the problem is, if you do see someone, you can't do anything or you'll be up for assault...even when protecting your own property from unwelcome attention.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Where was your car parked surely a grinder cutting metal would make a racket.

It doesn't matter, have a look at this video, whole bunch of guys in balaclavas looking mighty suspicious and gone in under two minutes.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
if your worried about MOT, id just get a custom exhaust place to weld a new flange onto that manifold then a new sports cat along with a pair of flanges or Vband at the exhaust side!

if not just do as above with a bit of straight pipe lol

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Has the insurance company refused to pay for (or towards) the repairs for it?

I still think it's all a massive conspiracy by the Battery Brigade. Raping the proper-engined cars across the country of a key component whilst preaching their non-requirement on the EV crap. ;)

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn’t have bothered with the insurance, just get an AM cat that’s worthless.

If you manage to get a new cat out the insurer from Renault (grand plus) it’ll prob be stolen again.

Otherwise they’ll write the car off.

Plus you’ll get raped by the insurer for the next 5 years anyway.

It’s a lose all round.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I still loved that thief who was crushed by a car and killed stealing the cat. Karma is a b**ch....the problem is, if you do see someone, you can't do anything or you'll be up for assault...even when protecting your own property from unwelcome attention.

Who was that?

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Who was that?

Think it’s on YouTube.

I did see one where the cctv at a garage captured the unfortunate event. The garage owner came in the next day to find ‘flat Eric’ pinned under one of his customers cars.

There’s plenty of cat stealing vids on YT. I’ve seen one where they do two cars in one street. There’s vids of them in broad daylight doing it and parking their car in the middle of the road blocking traffic while someone stands by with a hammer.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Think it’s on YouTube.

I did see one where the cctv at a garage captured the unfortunate event. The garage owner came in the next day to find ‘flat Eric’ pinned under one of his customers cars.

There’s plenty of cat stealing vids on YT. I’ve seen one where they do two cars in one street. There’s vids of them in broad daylight doing it and parking their car in the middle of the road blocking traffic while someone stands by with a hammer.

It wasn't me I'm still alive.

John John

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 & Boxster
Try the Clio man in Littlehampton he had an amazing stock of secondhand parts at very reasonable prices
He sold me a secondhand 182 system for £180 fitted