ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 cranks but does not fire. Electrical Issue warning light illuminated, No fuel pump priming.

Clio 182 FF
Hi Guys, I'm having starting issues with my 2005 182 FF. It turns turns over but will not start. I should mention that it has been stored in a dry garage for the past 6 weeks and was running fine when I drove it in. I have done some work on the car, including new plugs, inlet mani refurb, replaced the radiators and sump gasket. Everything is plugged in correctly as far as I can see.

Things to note:
-Immobilizer light goes off
-The car turns over but will not start.
-Cannot hear the fuel pump priming
-Electrical issue warning light is illuminated.

Quick vid of what warning lights I'm getting:

I have read that the crank position sensor could be an issue but I'm convinced the non starting is something to do with the fuel pump not priming. I specifically remember the fuel pump not priming when I previously had starting issues. Cleaning the relay contacts previously sorted these issues.

-Can anybody confirm if relay J is the one that should control the fuel pump?
-Should there be any whirring/ electrical noises coming from the engine bay (coilpack/ throttle body area)?

I have already tried the following:

-Disconnected the battery and cleaned the contacts on all of the relays in the engine bay fusebox.
-Cleaned the contacts on the white plug below the relays.
(Reconnecting the battery and trying again meant that the car would now crank for 3 seconds and then stop. I could not hear the fuel pump prime either. I did notice a whirring noise coming from the rear the bay - possibly the throttle body stepper motor or coilpack, are either supposed to make a noise?)
-After going round in circles taking the relays in and out again and contacts cleaned, I swapped the order of relays E, G and J and gave them a couple of taps to free up any possibly stuck contacts. Still no luck.
-After reading some advice on here about resetting the immobilizer I held down the central locking button on the key for 10 sec with it in the ignition and turned on. (I cant remember the exact order I was pretty frustrated/ trying to babysit at the same time). The car now cranks over foe as long as the key is turned but wont fire.

Any advice appreciated, will post updates if/ when I discover anything.

Last edited:

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Guys, I'm having starting issues with my 2005 182 FF. It turns turns over but will not start. I should mention that it has been stored in a dry garage for the past 6 weeks and was running fine when I drove it in. I have done some work on the car, including new plugs, inlet mani refurb, replaced the radiators and sump gasket. Everything is plugged in correctly as far as I can see.

Things to note:
-Immobilizer light goes off
-The car turns over but will not start.
-Cannot hear the fuel pump priming
-Electrical issue warning light is illuminated.

Quick vid of what warning lights I'm getting:

I have read that the crank position sensor could be an issue but I'm convinced the non starting is something to do with the fuel pump not priming. I specifically remember the fuel pump not priming when I previously had starting issues. Cleaning the relay contacts previously sorted these issues.

-Can anybody confirm if relay J is the one that should control the fuel pump?
-Should there be any whirring/ electrical noises coming from the engine bay (coilpack/ throttle body area)?

I have already tried the following:

-Disconnected the battery and cleaned the contacts on all of the relays in the engine bay fusebox.
-Cleaned the contacts on the white plug below the relays.
(Reconnecting the battery and trying again meant that the car would now crank for 3 seconds and then stop. I could not hear the fuel pump prime either. I did notice a whirring noise coming from the rear the bay - possibly the throttle body stepper motor or coilpack, are either supposed to make a noise?)
-After going round in circles taking the relays in and out again and contacts cleaned, I swapped the order of relays E, G and J and gave them a couple of taps to free up any possibly stuck contacts. Still no luck.
-After reading some advice on here about resetting the immobilizer I held down the central locking button on the key for 10 sec with it in the ignition and turned on. (I cant remember the exact order I was pretty frustrated/ trying to babysit at the same time). The car now cranks over foe as long as the key is turned but wont fire.

Any advice appreciated, will post updates if/ when I discover anything.

1614706420983.png

Clio 182 FF
Hi guys, thanks for all the input here :) So an update on this issue... The cars now running!

I started by checking the relays in the engine bay, had them all out and checked that they clicked when 12V was applied. They were all fine. I also checked all of the ground points and again no problem. My plan was to also check that the pump was getting power as suggested but never got that far along in the system.

Reinstalling the relays and having another go at starting but the electrical warning light persisted along with everything else as per my first post.

Heading back over to the engine bay I noticed that the Fuel and Injection Locking relays were clicking really quickly. These are fed by the Small 30A fuse - wiggling it resulted in the clicking stopping. So at this point it seemed that the issue was caused by an intermittent connection from this fuse.

So trying to rule out anything else causing the issue I removed all fuses, relays and separated the white connector beneath them to give the contacts a good going over. I used a hair dryer first followed by rubbing the contacts with emery cloth then a generous application of contact cleaner finished with another round of drying.

1614759328239.png

I also replaced the 3 smaller (30A, 5A and 15A) fuses with new ones as the contacts on the originals weren't in the best condition. This seemed to fix the intermittent continuity fault from the 30A fuse and on reconnecting the battery no fast clicking from the relays could be heard.

Trying to start the car resulted in all the warning lights going out but the immobiliser staying solid. Waiting for the lights to go out and then trying resulted in nothing but a click from the fusebox, but trying to start the car straight away from the key in the off position meant that it would crank for 3 seconds and then stop.

At this point I turned the ignition key to pos 3, waited for all the lights to go out (except the solid immobiliser) then held down the central locking button on the key for 10 seconds before turning the ignition off and removing the key.

The car then started fine next try and has done several times since.

Apologies for the essay, I hope this may come in handy for anyone with this issue in the future.