ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 cup or 182 trophy...?

Italian 3.2 V6
there basically identical performance wise, trophy is limited edition with some nice extras which the cup doesn't get, but it only comes in red :( :S also keep in mind value for money, trophys are a little more expensive... which is the one to go for!? are the trophys worth that little extra!? or is a 182 cup (liquid yellow, low milage one) a better choice :S

(i was thinking on a 197 but i fear it just wont b as hardcore lol, also more expensive :( )

My advice would be to get a trophy IF you could afford a decent one. Otherwise, as above, go for a cup packed 182. The performance isnt going to be noticeably different to a cup, and you get a few more mod cons :)

Golf 7R
You cant get a Cup in LY, only RB or Inferno. I would opt for the Trophy.

The 197 wont be as " hardcore " but its not meant to be!

Personaly I'd have a normal 182 with cup packs over a trophy or a cup and a cup over a trophy

IMo the seats an't great and the ride isn't at all

value for money if you don't do many miles the trohy if you get a cheap one should hold its value better but depends howmich you pay vs a standard 182

M2 Competition
If you're that far into your b-roading, a trophy, but then i doubt you'd be asking this.

In most other situations, a 182 with both cup packs.

A mate of mine has the cup packed 182. TBH all the 'toys' that it has are shite, and either don't work properly or don't work at all. I prefer the Cup, but the seat trim is pretty dull. Trophy is the best balance between the two IMO, because it has Recaros and of course the fancy suspension. I don't like the colour though. Tricky choices...I'd probably go for a 182FF with Recaros TBH. Inferno. Done :)

Also, by his own admission, my Cup always seems to have the slightest slither of an edge over his in a performance comparison. Two other cars though and it could easily be the other way around.

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS
Trophy all day long, thats my biased opinion :) I was looking for a rb 182 with cup pacs before i got the trophy, with plans to fit coilovers, recaros and turinis, so then i opted for the trophy to have most of what i would be puting on, and loved it being a limited edition! dont regreted it.Its my 1st car in ages that didnt have climate control and i dont miss it.
Some times i think i should hav bought a 172cup, and with the extra money fitted cams and itb's. but im happy with my decision!

Clio 182 Trophy
There both great cars mate. cant go wrong with either. Trophy's got the edge over the cup handling wise. yes its a harsh ride but thats what you sacrafice for great handling.
At the end of the day its a personal decision.

Ill take you for a spin in mine or may let you have a blast in it if ya want ! Although you wont want to get out of it afterwards.

Italian 3.2 V6
There both great cars mate. cant go wrong with either. Trophy's got the edge over the cup handling wise. yes its a harsh ride but thats what you sacrafice for great handling.
At the end of the day its a personal decision.

Ill take you for a spin in mine or may let you have a blast in it if ya want ! Although you wont want to get out of it afterwards.

cool cool, yea a blast out in one would be a gr8 help decision wise! :D even a passenger ride would be a gr8 help! thanks alot m8 :D

182 FF Inferno
ok so trophy just gets the edge from you guys lol but thanks for all the input :D i think i would get a trophy if there was no liquid yellow 182 about with decent milage (link below lol), then trophy it would be fo sho...! to me liquid yellows are amazing always wanted one in that colour lol, yes am a sad person but so are we all lol! haha :rasp:

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...&ukcarsearch_full.y=9&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

That LY is over priced. Guessing it will probably sell to someone who desperatly wants LY. With decent 182's well below £5.5k now, why pay an extra £2k for paint?? You could get a cracking Trophy for £7k!

Clio 182 Trophy
cool cool, yea a blast out in one would be a gr8 help decision wise! :D even a passenger ride would be a gr8 help! thanks alot m8 :D

just give me a shout mate. But not this month coz im sending my dampers off for servicing... :)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've owned both. The Trophy is a far, far better car to drive. It will hold it's value better, has the recaro's as standard, and turini's.
Anyone that advises you not to get a Trophy because of the costs of damper replacement is a moron. All dampers will eventually fail, but the Trophy dampers are designed to be rebuilt. The cost of rebuilding the trophy dampers is about the same as replacing 182cup dampers.

Clio 182 Trophy
About £320 + VAT to service the front dampers. Beats paying £2400 + VAT for 2 new ones!

Dont be put off because of the harsh ride as the dampers can be adjusted and they go really soft if you dial them down.

From your first post it sounds like you only want a 182 cup to get it in LY, but you don't get it in LY, so there's no reason to choose the cup?

Italian 3.2 V6
About £320 + VAT to service the front dampers. Beats paying £2400 + VAT for 2 new ones!

Dont be put off because of the harsh ride as the dampers can be adjusted and they go really soft if you dial them down.

i didn't relise the dampers were such an issue? how often are they supposed to go bust?

tbh i think the ride will be better than my 172 ride, seems failry stiff since its had the 30mm drop :(

Clio 182 Trophy
i didn't relise the dampers were such an issue? how often are they supposed to go bust?

It depends on what type of roads you drive on I guess. there are loads of speedbumps where I live and I think over time the dampers on mine have deteriated slightly.

You will know when they need doin though just by the feel of the car.

I dont see them as an issue. TBH its probably quicker sending them off for servicing than ordering new ones off Reno. A few guys have had theirs serviced and got them back within 4-5 days.

Its a small price to pay for the quality of them. You have to drive the Trophy to realise how well they do there job through the twisties.

Renaultsport 200
there basically identical performance wise, trophy is limited edition with some nice extras which the cup doesn't get, but it only comes in red :( :S also keep in mind value for money, trophys are a little more expensive... which is the one to go for!? are the trophys worth that little extra!? or is a 182 cup (liquid yellow, low milage one) a better choice :S

(i was thinking on a 197 but i fear it just wont b as hardcore lol, also more expensive :( )

Clearly a Trophy imo. However if you can afford a 197 get that.

a 197 will cross the finish line before both of them.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

tbh i think the ride will be better than my 172 ride, seems failry stiff since its had the 30mm drop :(
No offence fella, but ffs, here we go again! They have the same life span as any damper, but whereas on a 182 if a damper fails you need new dampers, on the Trophy they get rebuilt. So it's no issue. The ride of a Trophy will be better than a lowered 172. Espec if it's a 172 on Apex !!
As for the person that thinks the 197 is quicker, er no. Really not much in it, but Evo timed them both (197cup and a Trophy) on the same day, same track, same driver. The Trophy was quicker. A recent issue of performance car compared them, the guy who's had the 197 for over 6 months gave his opinion. Basically he said that the Trophy at 7/10's is as interactive and fun as the 197 at 10/10's, better when you push it further.
Re the colour, you can get a 182 with both cup packs in liquid yellow, but the 182cup was only available in 2 colours, RB and the 'other' colour.

It's got to be a Trophy if you don't mind the colour and the wheels.

Out of interest. How would a H&Rd 182 compare to a Trophy for handling and ride quality? Obviously only with a sensible drop. Genuinely interested to know from anyone who's driven both setups.

No offence fella, but ffs, here we go again! They have the same life span as any damper, but whereas on a 182 if a damper fails you need new dampers, on the Trophy they get rebuilt. So it's no issue. The ride of a Trophy will be better than a lowered 172. Espec if it's a 172 on Apex !!
As for the person that thinks the 197 is quicker, er no. Really not much in it, but Evo timed them both (197cup and a Trophy) on the same day, same track, same driver. The Trophy was quicker. A recent issue of performance car compared them, the guy who's had the 197 for over 6 months gave his opinion. Basically he said that the Trophy at 7/10's is as interactive and fun as the 197 at 10/10's, better when you push it further.

Rebuilt vs new stock dampers prices arn't that much different

define better ride personaly I think the trophy isn't as fgood as anyone hipes it to be and would have a standard spec car or cup over it every time

as for speed if you want to go fast cheap don't buy a clio you can do much better

Clio 182 Trophy
Rebuilt vs new stock dampers prices arn't that much different

The cost to rebuild them is £320 + VAT. The price for 2 new ones is £2400 + VAT.

Do you mean rebuilt Sach's Dampers vs Stock dampers on a 182 arn't much different ?

Last edited:
  Renaultsport 200
Re the colour, you can get a 182 with both cup packs in liquid yellow, but the 182cup was only available in 2 colours, RB and the 'other' colour.

Warren, i never saw that evo article and I have subscription to evo.

I have seen the numerous 197 reveiws though, and they all prefer the 197 over the trophy and so they should, its an improvement.

Back to topic though, id rather have a trophy over a cupped 182.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Warren, i never saw that evo article and I have subscription to evo.

I have seen the numerous 197 reveiws though, and they all prefer the 197 over the trophy and so they should, its an improvement.

Back to topic though, id rather have a trophy over a cupped 182.
When they changed the layout of the track at bedford, they took a few cars over and timed them. Was near the back where they list the lap times. If you subscribe, open the latest issue and check the lap times, will be there.
Of the magazines I read (Evo, Autocar, Performance car) only Autocar rates the 197 above the Trophy.
The 197 is better built, looks better, sounds better, brakes better, has a better cabin. The Trophy is slightly quicker, and is better to drive, has better steering.

Cayman S Edition 1
had a 197, now have a Trophy. Best move I made.

Trophy is a brilliant car, but its each to their own.