ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Cup Shock Absorber

Audi S4 Avant
My rear nearside shock absorber on my 2004 182 cup is buggered, out of curiousity does anyone know the cost of a replacement?

Cheers Jason

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
£50ish each, but it's advised to replace both at the same time.

New Kangoo Van!
i recently replaced my front shock that was 56 quid (got charged 40 quid for the labour) i only found out it was knackered by havin a spring kit fitted.

I was £105 today all in for 2x rear shocks for a 2002 172FF from Evan Halshaw Renault Aberdeen, as my passengers side one was leaking so i'm going to replace them both ;)

So i'm guessing it'll be around that price, or a wee bit more for cup ones ;)

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I have a Full 182 Cup Pack Suspension if anyone is interested???

PM me an Offer :D

i recently replaced my front shock that was 56 quid (got charged 40 quid for the labour) i only found out it was knackered by havin a spring kit fitted.

That probably about right for labour.

But there so easy to replace couldn't you do them yourself ?

Theres one 16mm(i think) bolt at bottom holding shock absorber to rear axle/torsion bar thing (that runs width of vehicle with the coil springs in it)

Remove this bolt and the nut at top of shocker inside the boot that holds shocker strut top cap on.

Slacken this nut by holding shock absorber strut/damper rod with vice grips (or a like) to stop it turning while freeing it off with a spanner till it comes off ..

Then remove shocker from car and replace with new one :)

P.s you may need 2 jacks, one to jack car up and another one to assist in realigning the shock absorber bolt holes with axle holes on refitting of new shock absorber strut ;)

Last edited:
  Audi S4 Avant
Just got 2 rear shocks for 38 bucks each from the dealer, not too steep at all! Pick em up tomorrow, looks like ive got a fine wee job fitting them!

A pool of hydraulic oil over the drive way is a good sign. My shocker had incontinence.

My one went that way as well ;)

Heres my Receipt.

130308RearShockAbsorbers.jpg

Did you go to Mackie Motors for your rear shocks mate ?

As there slightly cheaper aren't they ?

But aint worth my money in petrol going there :(

Last edited:
  172//Crap Micra//Bus
Both my rear ones went the other week, so bought some Cup ones for all round! £42 each +VAT for the Front and £44 each +VAT for the back... and managed to blag 20% discount, because I bought a few other bits too. Haven't fitted the Front one's yet, as not managed to get my hands on some spring tensioners yet, but fitted the rear ones which where an absolute piece of p**s to fit!

Audi S4 Avant
Her sorry i just found this thread, i was 46ish each and i fitted them myself, took about 2 hours for both sides (rear only). Piece of piss to fit, i felt so accomplished after i had done them!!

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=ROAD&pcode=SPXG3247&app=Y

These are top adjustable ones from Spax (ok not the best make but the renault ones leak like leda's lol). Will these fit the 182 with cup pack tho? Mention 60mm spacing but only on the front!?!
Forget spax there rubish particularly the rears
Other than the bolt spacing whats the difference between the 182 cup and standard 182 shocks?
different setup 54mm none cuped to 60mm cuped spec