ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Cup vs 206 RC / GTI

as I mentioned on another topic, I am looking to buy a 182 Cup. However another option would be the Peugeot 206 RC / GTI.

I would like to know your oppinions - what are 206s advantages (if any) or disadvantages over the Clio

There are two versions: 137bhp and 180bhp.

A member called Rhys used to have the original 137bhp version and thought that it absolutely sucked compared to the hot Clios. The motoring press arent that fond of them either. Shame really, when you consider what pedigree Peugeot hot hatches have. Mind you, they do tend to be quicker than the factory performance data - just like most Pugs.

I think they look pretty nice and are fairly nicely trimmed, but if its the best youre after then get a 182.

i think the only thing they seem to get complimented on are the seats and looks. supposedly dont handle that well, the position of the seats are poor and the 180 was seen by the press as a "too little too late" offering.

106 GTi

The seats in the 180 improve the poor seating postion in the 138. When I drove the 206 180, I found the seating position better than 182. As Loony said, Peugeot did to little to late with the 180. On the road the 182 felt a better car, can be brought a lot cheaper, so is better value for money, slightly better speced, no cruise control option on the 206. I test drove both cars almost back to back, and the 182 seemed the car for me.

I read a few comments about the poor location of the gear shifter in relation to the seats in the 180. As Loony says its never really taken off, it was too little to late as it came way after the competition and was slower than it.

I had a 206GTI (137BHP) - It was terrible.

It was as fast as my standard valver 0 - 60 (7.4), 60 - 100 & 100+ it really struggled. My mates 2.0 mondeo would pull away from me on the motorway. The handling was always a bit suspect, very scitish, i always struggled to get the power down in first gear.

My Clio is in a different league and i only own a 172, a 182 is even better.

Lee

BMW M2C

Get hold of a copy of this months Evo magazine. In it the put the Fiesta ST against the 182 Cup, C2, Mini Cooper S and Ibiza FR.

In the review they comment how the ST was designed to compete against the 206GTi, but they werent going to include it in the test as basically, its crap and wouldnt touch any of the cars they were reviewing!! Maybe a bit harsh but they didnt even see the point in including it.

Of course the 182 won, but then it is Evos favourite hot hatch of all time along with the Williams.

106 GTi

Worth checking the back issues too as there was also a test off the 182 with Cup packs, 206 180, Cooper S and Civic in Evo the early part off the year too.

The 206 gtis driving postion is fantastic imo .. miles better than the twisted up driving position on my clio.. the standard gti is pants performance wise and wouldnt keep up with 172 never mind a 182. the 206 180 isnt much better.. a bit more tourqe and handles like barge. Lower the 206 30mm though and you have some grip on the twisties.

Lee

BMW M2C

Ive got a scanned copy of the Evo review of the 182, 206 GTi 180, CTR, Focus ST170 and Mini Cooper S.

PM me if you want the link to it.

Full Fat 182 - Was..

182 every time, ive got a mate with the 180 and he says his car is crap, and i think it is too coz he just cant keep up, looks nice but drives like a normal pug

Clio 197

I had a W reg pug GTi 137.

It had stiffer springs/dampers sports clutch. It also had the wide arches/SP front bumper etc...

It handled very well, but my 182 with cup suspension is far better IMO.

Plus, the engine really lacked torque.

Plus it looked and felt very tatty after about 60,000 miles...

Sorry Floodie i do ONLY own a 172! And a hell of a mortgage and a clio dynamique which my girlfriend drives. Not all of us are rich enough to update to the latest version every year!