ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 cutting out and loss of power at junctions + very rough idle.

I'm just after a bit of advice on a problem with a 182 that I have just got. if anyone wouldn't mind...

Symptoms:

*Idles very rough, not revving itsself, just quite "chuggy"
*Cutting out at junctions and when stopping sometimes, dash lights iluminating.
*When pulling away from junctions on the odd occasion, there is a total loss of power for a split second, before accelerating sharply.

Other than this the car appears to drive well and seems to pull well with no symptoms through the rev range.

I have only just bought the car and had the timing belt and dephaser done immediately, only driving the car for 20 miles before hand so no chance to really check if the problem was there before.
I have also changed the spark plugs myself to NGK PFR6E-10 's

Everything appears to be correct in the enginne bay, the only thing I have noticed is this:

e199vp.jpg

Front right of the plenum.
Should there be some kind of pipe on here and if so where does this connect to?
Would this cause any of the problems I am seeing?

I have read that perhaps the Idle Control Valve needs cleaning, but have been unable to locate the valve.
could anyone please post a picture or describe the location?

Any advice appreciated

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies.

I can't say if it was happening before I changed the plugs as I only drove it home from where I bought it. Everything seems to be fitted correct ect though.

I will check the inlet gasket today and report back
Failing that I'm thinking of taking it to get plugged in and let a mechanic have a look.

She's going to The Ring next week so hopefully I can get it sorted!!
Thanks again

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
injector on its way out, let it idle rough for a bit, check for a blacked up plug. note which pot its on and then swap injector from that pot with a 'clean' one. clean all the plugs up and refit then fire it up and let it idle again. check the plugs again and see if the dirty plug has followed the injector.

2020 Merc E450 Coupe
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be 2 faulty injectors. Try Coops Turbo's advice

right cheers coops, just had the plugs back out and they all look in the same condition to me

All have clean contacts with a blackened ring around the bottom edge. Do I need to clean then up and see if one blackens up straight away?

2v8n411.jpg

16gebd2.jpg

b5sk6u.jpg

345cw46.jpg

The car hasn't cut out at all since I posted this, but the dips in power at junctions are still there on occasion.

On first starting the car seems to run fine for around 10 seconds then distinctly changes to a "chuggy" sound.

Thanks for the help.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
the plugs look good, perhaps not an injector then...... unfortunately sound like it could be one of those impossible to trace wiring type issues.

I'm starting to think the same as well Coops.

It still hasnt cut out on me at all since I posted this thread and the dips on power when pulling away seem to have gotten less frequent.
Idle is still very rough sounding though, It seems to be ok for a few seconds after starting most of the time, then distinctly changes to like a heartbeat/chugging type noise.

It's booked in for some diagnostics on Monday, but I have a feeling its one of those I'll end up chucking money at and getting no where.

Seems perfect above 1000 rpm so I may have to just live with it :S

Clio 172 phase 1
Just so you're not alone I have the same issue every now and again with the going to pull away and the car is flat and then suddenly it's off .... I reckon it could be ignition leads or similar down that route, however I've been having issues with the sticky throttle body as mines a phase 1.... So also going to be stripping that down

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I know this is an old thread but Mine has developed the same problem recently, did you figure out what this was?

I would be looking at this.

The easiest way to test is is start the car and wiggle the wires around. If it cuts out or the engine note changes then it's that.