ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 - Died on me

BMW 120i Sport

All,

Was out for a drive tonight when i pulled into a car park. All of a sudden, the car seemed to be stuck at 2000 rpm. Blipping the throttle made the revs go up, but it kept staying at 2000 rpm. Didnt think anything more, came back to the car 30 mins later, started driving home without a prob. Suddenly, the car juddered and sort of "stalled" but wouldnt budge from 2000 rpm.

I managed to limp home at about 40 mph at 2000 rpm (juddering almost to a halt at times on roundabouts) when the car died altogether, it wont even start now (luckily about 200 yards from my house).

Im totally fcked, although im going to get the AA.

HELP!?

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

I seem to remember my brothers Cup using more than 3/4 of its oil while he was running it in, not really used a drop since.

BMW 120i Sport

Right,

AA couldnt fix it, no idea what it was, "no fault found" when the diagnostics were plugged in.

Thankfully he towed the car to Renault and the night watchman was there, so we left it outside the door. Strangely enough, the AA bloke was on the blower to another engineer who said he had to tow another Clio there last night. Weird still, I was the fourth Renault to get towed to that garage tonight.

Gutted.

BMW 120i Sport

Quote: Originally posted by Chad on 11 January 2005
did any warning lights come on?

None at all, apart from the "STOP" light.

BMW 120i Sport

I really really hope its nothing to do with fitting the Green Cotton panel filter. Thing is, its been fitted for weeks and been driven a good 500 miles without incident.

Titanium ph1 turbo

If it was the STOP light it might be oil, it did that on my car when it was 1000 miles or so in... used up loads of oil and STOP light came on. Check this asap !!

[Edited by chris79 on 1/11/2005 11:04:59 PM]

Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 11 January 2005

I really really hope its nothing to do with fitting the Green Cotton panel filter. Thing is, its been fitted for weeks and been driven a good 500 miles without incident.
Bad news, it might be the throttle body (particulaly one the 1.2s) can get blocked due to aftermarket IK etc but it sound like the unit has broke rarther than your got it stuck.

Renault would do it under warently though realy its to much bad PR not to and its a common problem.

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

I would of checked the oil and removed the green filter before calling the AA guy. Hope everything works out. Those b4stards will do anything to get out of paying for anything!

BMW 120i Sport

Cmon, id broken down in the pssing rain and howling gales - getting the filter ripped out wasnt on my mind ;). The AA guy never even looked that far in, just made sure it had fuel and that there was nothing on the diagnostic.

3 MPS

Quote: Originally posted by Paul_P1 on 11 January 2005

I seem to remember my brothers Cup using more than 3/4 of its oil while he was running it in, not really used a drop since.
this was the same for me

BMW 120i Sport

Phoned Renault this morning at 9:30am, spoke to the service manager who advised they were making a job card up and going to look at it asap.

Hope its sorted today, but I suspect if its a major job then itll be tomorrow.

320d M Sport

why cant reno fix these?

172s have been gettin this since day 1, loads of warranty claims, and surprise surprise, 182s are rolling out with the same problems!

mine did it for months, reno said they couldnt find a fault, wat was happening was when u tried to start the car it cleared the fault - ie the comp never stored it.

kin reno!

w**k!

BMW 120i Sport

Thats the car sorted, in and out in an afternoon - not bad eh? (picking it up in 30 mins).

The problem was a faulty/knackered coolant temperature sensor (which is probably why my temp gauge went right down) which was telling the engine management that the coolant was at -30 degrees celcius. In response to that, the engine management flooded the engine with fuel to try to compensate which eventually made the engine cut out and die altogether.

All fixed!

BMW 120i Sport

Car feels smoother than before it went in, wonder if this sensor had been playing up for a while?

Top marks to Renault, they washed the car for me (it was minging) and hoovered it out. Ive also had the central locking playing up, so they booked me in for a week on Saturday and said "drop the car off and well take you home. Once the car is done, well come and pick you up again" - what a service, I was expecting a fight with the dealer but its a far better service than ive ever received from Ford.

Your lucky getting repairs done with an after market filter on. My warranty was void after fitting an induction kit.

This sounds like what is happening to mine. First started to stall on Thursday after only 350 miles on the clock - running in as per instructions - and then today wouldnt start at all and when it finally did there was a massive stink of petrol and a cloud of smoke - all the way up the M6 the car was stuttering and coughing with the temperature gauge going up and down like a yo-yo.

Will get it down to Renault first thing tomorrow. Which dealer did you go to - mines a lease car so may have to go through a central dealer?

BMW 120i Sport

yeah, my temp gauge was up and down like a yo-yo; sounds like exactly the same fault.

Its a quick and easy repair, the only time consuming part is cleaning all the petrol from the plugs because of the flooding.

190 BHP Willy 2

Glad its sorted. Just going to have heart ache now when you find all the scratches where theyve stuck it through a car wash :(

Fiesta ST

Not had this problem BUT my 182s temp gauge has gone a bit mental - its up and down like a yo-yo! Suppose i better get it booked in ASAP?

Got Renault Assistance coming out to check it out this morning - will tell them what I think the problem is and hopefully Ill get someone with half a brain wholl listen and get it sorted! Will ask him to check the plugs as well as the Cat.

thanks for the tip and Ill remember to tell them not to stick it through the car wash!

Quote: Will get it down to Renault first thing tomorrow. Which dealer did you go to - mines a lease car so may have to go through a central dealer?

How did you get on? Mines booked into the dealer for next Tuesday with identical symptoms. Idling at 2000rpm, blipping the throttle eventually bringing it down and stalling whilst in traffic queues along with what seems like fuel starvation with attempted stalling in normal driving. After being left for 1/2 an hour switched off all is fine again. Only happens now and again though.

Neil

H22A7 Accord Type R

Quote: Originally posted by GeeUK on 12 January 2005

One in Huddersfield. DIXON Renault, Leeds road, top w**kers!
I hate it there.
Done my rear bushes under warranty, bearing in mind it was 3yrs old, been decked on -60mm springs for 2yrs, and had a full suspension kit on it when they done the warranty work..............does for me, think that bird likes me ;)

hi - they ran a diagnostic check on the car and it showed up that there was a problem which they cleared. Then the test drove the car and the problem was gone........

.... or so they thought - 4 days later and its back. It hasnt stalled again and seems to start ok, but the idle keeps fluctuating to around 2000rpm and the temp gauge all over the place. Spoke to Renault Birmingham and they said that unless the Diagnostic shows a faulty part or a perm fault then they arent allowed to change any parts. Told them it wasnt on and that I didnt want to have to take it down there every time to get the fault cleared off the memory and thats all!! They asked me to drop it in for 2 days whilst they investigate and promise they will try and find a perm fix.

Not too happy, as apart from the problem am loving the car. But Ive had it 3 weeks and it had been booked in for its second trip back!

Clio 172PH2

Quote: Originally posted by paul g on 12 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Paul_P1 on 11 January 2005

this was the same for me
Touch wood ive had no problems yet, only doe 7000 in my 182, but it never even crossed my mind to check oil esp at this early stage in its life as the first oil cahnge isnt till 18000???