ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Dogbone Mount...

Saxo VTR
Hi all,

I'm having some trouble with the dogbone mount on my 2005 182. Basically, I have a knocking sound when coming on/off the accelerator (when in gear only) which, from what I have gathered, could well be the dogbone mount bushes. I therefore bought some Powerflex bushes to replace the current bits as even if it didn't stop the knock, it seems like a worthwhile upgrade.

Now, whilst getting a CV joint done I asked my mechanic if he could do the bushes for me - he came back and said I'd ordered the wrong part as the dogbone mount I have had two small sized bushes, not one big one small like I had ordered. Before I owned the car, it had a reconditioned gearbox so the mechanic reckoned they'd fit a 172 gearbox rather than a 182. Fine - I went and ordered a 172 powerflex bush kit for the standard (non twisted) mount which arrived today. So when I opened the box to find one large and one small I was slightly confused...

At the time he showed me the mount and upon further research it doesn't look like either the standard nor the twisted mount, it was much thinner. It also seemed to already have a poly bush at one end, and what looked like a standard bush on the other? After a bit more research I came across this item: http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=4808 which I believe is what I currently have fitted.

So my question basically is will either sets of Powerflex mounts fit/do anything at all? If not, what could the knock be? Part of my reason for wanting to put the uprated bushes on was to tighten up my gearbox a bit as it's feeling quite loose ATM.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Dan

Teg
That K-Tec mount is an uprated part.. Probably slightly stiffer than a Powerflex dog bone so if I was you I'd just send the Powerflex bushes back.

What are your other engine mounts like? If there shot then no matter how good your dog bone mount is there will still be excessive engine movement so I'd look at changing them for either uprated or new Renault parts.

I think the usual knocking sound is down to the exhaust manifold knocking against either chassis or heatshield due to excessive engine movement.

Saxo VTR
Thanks Smith - slightly nooby question I'm aware but what would be the best way to check?

Would that make any difference to the sloppy gearbox feel?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
They are relatively inexpensive to change as long as you stay away from Renault.

Something quickly worth doing is slackening off the four bolts that hold the upper engine mount in place. Then get someone to pull the engine toward the front and then tighten up the mount again. There is a bit of movement available which could help cure the knocking.

Upper mount - Click
Gearbox mount - Click

Last edited:
  Saxo VTR
Will give that a go, thanks. How long roughly would it take for a garage to do the above, or are they easy enough to do myself with basic equipment?

Clio 182 sport
i have this same problem when accelerating and then coming off the pedal quickly there is likke a shifting clunk pretty sure my next step is to replace the mounts..garage or diy thanks in advance