ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182: Engine judder at idle

182FF Arctic
Hi all,

Can anyone help shed any light? I've done a search on previous posts and there are varying answers on the subject!

I recently (Saturday) took ownership of my new 2005 clio 182. The car has done 30,000 miles.

I noticed on Sunday that the engine seems to judder at idle once it's left for a few seconds (both from cold and when warmed up). The patern is fairly rhythmic, 1 second of judder, then 2 - 3 without, then judders again etc.

Am i being pedantic and this is normal? Or should i have a word with the dealer while it's under warranty, as i'm pretty sure it never did it when i test drove the car.

Before i paid up the dealer changed the timing belt, aux belt etc.

I previously had a ph1 172 and it never juddered once. Any help would be greatly appreciated before i look a t*t complaining to the garage when its nothing.

Sorry to make such a long post on a simple query, but thought i had best explain all the symptoms.

Thanks,
Dave

if they've changed the belt, they'll have removed the top engine mount - maybe they've not aligned as they could have when they put it back together? you can play with it yourself to rule that out without causing any problems - slacken the four bolts that hold the mount to the shell and try pulling the unit forward before tightening the bolts. or just take it back and ask them to check it over

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
It's normal, the 'judder' can be improved slightly with a rstuner uploading a new map from Fastchip.nl it's the way the ECU 'talks to the engine' nothing to worry about unless the whole car is violently juddering.

Titanium 182
Normal, you can hear it more in the exhaust note. Start the car and put your head near the tail pipes the burble rises and falls.

Having said that you can't really feel it just hear it. Get them to take a look if its bothering you.

182FF Arctic
The judder was enough for a friend sat in the passenger seat to notice it, but i wouldn't say it was violent.

I think i'll give Renault a call and get them to check it over. What's the point of a warranty if i don't get the most from it :)

Thanks for the advice, it's really appreciated! I'm probably just being hyper sensitive after spending so much on a new car.

Titanium 182
It could be your throttle body needs cleaning. Pish easy job PM me if you want instructions to try it see if it helps. Takes about ten mins.

sorry to hijack but how do you go about cleaning the throttle body? i've got a 172 which seems to do the same thing & would like to see if there was a way of fixing/reducing it without paying a garage £100s

Titanium 182
No problem.

Where you air intake elbow thing joins the main body of the engine take it off so there is no rubber elbow.

The throttle body is on the right hand side on the engine you just disconnected the air inlet elbow from it. There are 4 bolts holding it to the side of the engine undo them there is also a electrical sensor plug underneath it just undo that too.

Then it should pull off and you can clean inside it with a rag and some WD40.

Should look similar to this: (Note this is off a supra not a clio)
throttle_body_01.jpg

Depending on your model the throttle body might have a paper gasket which will need replacing so make sure you have one before you take it off !

My 54 plate 182 had a reusable orange rubber O ring but the paper gaskets fall to pieces.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
I think there's a 'how to' thread in the Guides section. Once the hose between the manifold and the induction box is removed the tricky part is not getting your finger caught in the sprung valve, use a clean 'lint free' cloth and some carburettor spray if it's caked on and doesn't come off with a wipe. All your doing is cleaning the area around the sprung valve of any oil deposits.

Saxo, Clio 182
Same thing, missus got her 182 cup 05/54 yesterday which has just had a service, plugs/filters and aux/cambelts. The car doesn't idle what you would percieve to be correctly (ie with a bit of judder) but I assume this is right?
I drove it back from Notts last night (cruise control most of the way) to Southampton and even when I stopped at the ferry to get on the boat after a 2 and bit hour drive the lumpiness was still there.
She had it cut out on her twice at low revs/speed which I assume to be driving style (although she is actually a really good driver, just don't tell her I admitted that)
The car also has a receipt for a superchip so has been messed with slightly.

My question is really the same, is this normal?

Thanks

how would you know what kind of gasket it has without taking it apart first? any ideas how much a new one would cost?? straight from Renault?

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Same thing, missus got her 182 cup 05/54 yesterday which has just had a service, plugs/filters and aux/cambelts. The car doesn't idle what you would percieve to be correctly (ie with a bit of judder) but I assume this is right?
I drove it back from Notts last night (cruise control most of the way) to Southampton and even when I stopped at the ferry to get on the boat after a 2 and bit hour drive the lumpiness was still there.
She had it cut out on her twice at low revs/speed which I assume to be driving style (although she is actually a really good driver, just don't tell her I admitted that)
The car also has a receipt for a superchip so has been messed with slightly.

My question is really the same, is this normal?

Thanks

It's normal.................

Titanium 182
how would you know what kind of gasket it has without taking it apart first? any ideas how much a new one would cost?? straight from Renault?

You would have to ring Renault and give them your reg then they could most likely tell you. It won't be much couple of quid at the most its just a paper gasket.

You could probably make your own out of cardboard if you were desperate !

Clio 197 + Mrk 3 DCI
Mine judders a bit to, before the belt change and after + change of plugs etc. Im not to worried about it as it performs very well, if you think about it 2.0 in that little engine bay is going to cause a bit of wobble.

182FF Arctic
To keep you guys updated mine is still going into the garage next Thursday. If anything just to put my mind at rest.

Saxo, Clio 182
Little update we both went out to the car this morning as she had to drop me to work. Went to fire the car and it missed twice, the 3rd time she gave it a bit of right boot and it went. Is that usual?