ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Engine Noise

Golf GTD Mk7
Hi guys,

My FF has developed a louder than normal noise coming from the engine. The car is standard, so no mods. :eek: Its when I put my foot down to accelerate. From inside the car it sounds like its coming from the passenger footwell (well that direction anyway). Its a kind of hissing noise, which when It gets to redline changes to a sort of metal tapping metal noise. Apologies for the description, but its hard to explain it.

Anyone had anything similar? Or is this normal. Just thought it a bit strange that the noise is getting loader.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
They all make a hissing/sucking noise of sorts from that corner of the car.
Depending on your levels of sound proofing, it can be more or less obvious.

Golf GTD Mk7
You mean its the induction? Problem is i've no basis for comparison really. Its definately changed volume over night though. Its strange.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Have a poke around and do some visual checks to see if there is nothing obviously askew.

Also have to consider the acoustic valve is tucked down in front of the front wheel over that side so that could be contributing to it.
How much have you stripped from it? Carpets etc?

clio trophy No56
Hi guys,

My FF has developed a louder than normal noise coming from the engine. The car is standard, so no mods. :eek: Its when I put my foot down to accelerate. From inside the car it sounds like its coming from the passenger footwell (well that direction anyway). Its a kind of hissing noise, which when It gets to redline changes to a sort of metal tapping metal noise. Apologies for the description, but its hard to explain it.

Anyone had anything similar? Or is this normal. Just thought it a bit strange that the noise is getting loader.

The same thing has happened to my Trophy, about 2 weeks ago i noticed that when i put my foot down it sounds like the induction sucking loads more air up, also it sounded like its coming from the passenger footwell direction.
I have checked under the bonnet and everything is still connected to the air box and breather to the engine. The engine sound ok both at tickover and reving the engine.
Also checked the exhaust manifold to the engine for leaks but ok.
Checked the inlet manifold and ok.
Finally checked the exhaust and cant find any leaks anywhere.
I have thought over the last couple of days the sound is getting closer to the middle of the car, possibly so issue with the cat but like i said i cant find any leaks, maybe something has collapsed / blown inside iof it.
Anyway it makes the car sound awsome and hasnt changed the performance.

Dodgy one
How easy is it to get to the acoustic valve? Presumably its somewhere under the battery?

Ive heard two storys first one is you can get it behind the N/S arch liner second story was the front bumper has to come off, My bumpers coming of at the end of the month so i can sort my stonechips so i'm removing mine then :cool:

Monaco RS Clio 172
I fancy the itg panel filter with std airbox soon.. fancy trying it over my simota. I'd also like to remove my acoustic valve. but altho it sounds fairly easy to get to removing the arch liner and etc, the bit where people say, make sure you put a screw into the pipe that comes off it, is what I worry about...

if it is not blocked off correctly, it causes problems, right?

182 and cherokee 4.0
hi. my car is also making a hissing noise from the passenger footwell, however, mine doesn't have an acoustic valve or a cat. i have been underneath and it is not coming from the exhaust blowing i don't think. most strange, anyone any ideas?

also, the join between the centre pipe and the one to the back box spits water out of it when i get a mate to rev the car when i'm underneath but i can't feel it blowing (this is definately not where the above noise is coming from) will this affect performance? the join had been welded but it blew through and now has silicone over it. again, any ideas?

thanks a lot, tony.

clio trophy No56
The noise on mine ended up being a split in the cat below the clamp which holds the exhaust to it. This split gradually got bigger and the whistle got louder untill it started to sound like it didnt have a exhaust on it. Got the cat welded and replaced the clamp and middle exhaust hanger and no more whistle noises.

Megane R26 + 182
I had this and then the exhaust feel off! Check from the cat backwards see if there is any corotion.