ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 engine oil choices

Black 182 FF
Having just been reading some threads about 1*2's using a bit of oil I've checked mine and it needs topping up. In a couple of weeks I'm planning to do an oil and filter change anyway with some of the Silkolene stuff, but as a top up right now can anyone recommend anything and what do they use - is it 5/40 or 10/40 or something different, semi synthetic or fully synthetic?

Probably a reasonably easy question for some (can't seem to find the search function at the moment) but I don't want to put anything in that may not do it any good.

clio sport 172
Well for what it's worth I used Mobil 1 0-40w and have
recently changed to using silkolene 5-40w to be honest
I was happy with both although everyone on hear goes
for the 5-40w silkolene. I hope that helps?

Black 182 FF
Any ideas will do, just whatever I can get my hands on locally - are those semi or fully synthetic (I have no idea what they're supposed to use).

a thirsty one
i just did mine today with mobil 1 fully sync 0w-40
local costco do it quite good price

for topping up for the next few weeks just get some halfords 5w40 that should be fine, some use 10w40 as it doesnt get that cold over here but 5w40 is what renault say

Black 182 FF
I've just having a look now the search function is working again and to top up I may use some of the Halfords stuff, then get something else int he next few weeks.

Black 182 FF
Bought a litre of the Halfords stuff, checked the car again when it's on the flat and it doesn't really need any at all :eek:

172 cup
not being funny but you shouldnt just wack some shitty halfords stuff in not all oils will mix properly i put 0w 40 fully synthetic oil in any known make will do silkolene mobil etc then just make sure you have a spare litre for toppin up but to be honest if the oil is clean and not cheap you shouldnt need to top up before changes 6k like fletcher said is optimum wouldnt leave it much longer than 8k if your a throttle happy kinda person hopr this helps by the way you need a square 10mm socket for the sump plug

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
not being funny but you shouldnt just wack some s**tty halfords stuff in not all oils will mix properly i put 0w 40 fully synthetic oil in any known make will do silkolene mobil etc then just make sure you have a spare litre for toppin up but to be honest if the oil is clean and not cheap you shouldnt need to top up before changes 6k like fletcher said is optimum wouldnt leave it much longer than 8k if your a throttle happy kinda person hopr this helps by the way you need a square 10mm socket for the sump plug

Try a commer now and then ;)

Nowt wrong with halfords oil mate, alot of people i know on here have run there cars on it for may years without problems - me being one of them. Alot of oils are made by the same "big" companys. There was a thread on here not so long ago about this and how they are certified by certain standards

Si

RS Clio 172
i used to swear by silkolene pro-s 5w-40 in my 106. will be using the same in the Clio.

do we get discounts with OpieOils on here? they're always very helpful.

a thirsty one
as above, i just added 5 litres to mine the digital shows full but the dipstick shows about 1mm or so below full.