ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 First Service - Not Funny

Just returned from taking my 182 from its first service. Booked in for 10.30 and opted to wait approx 1 1/2 hours for it.

I was told it needed two new front tyres, which I said Id get elsewhere as I had heard that they were £140 each at the dealer. I was told that they were only £78 each so I said as long as they were the correct tyres (cup pack) then I would take them. I was then told that 182 tyres did not have stiffened sidewalls but a rim protector. I said that this was incorrect based upon Jeremy Townsends assurances. Anyway he went away to check again then came back to tell me in fact they were continentals which would have been fitted if I had not questioned them (probably 195s based on this morning experience. Anyway they can apparently supply PE2s for £98+VAT.

About 12.30 the car was washed and ready and I was presented with the bill. On the bill was 5 litres of 10w40 oil. I pointed out that this was not as specified in the manual. Lots of confused looks more phonecalls and a visit to Halfords by the service manager later, still no 5w40 but the option of Mobil1 0w40 which I accepted although I have heard that this is not recommended either.

4 hours later, I am back on the road. Being fair the service manager went out of his way to help and everyone else was very nice just not very knowledgeable.

They really should know better though, not even any appropriate oil for the 182 in stock or any awareness of what tyres or oil should be used?? If only I could service my own car and keep the warranty I would be far happier and richer at £158 for an oil change and general check.

If the 182 is anything like the S2000, it is much cheaper to provide your own oil when it does need changing, rather than letting your dealer charge you the same basic cost + markup :)

320d M Sport

welcome to the world of the Reno dealership experience.

wankas. itll get worse too, just wait till u need to go in for warranty work.....

Yeah costs me a fortune to do an oil change just after my renault dealer puts the wrong stuff in for me, given up argueing with them, I end up losing the will to live and a sore forehead from banging it into the wall!

my warranty has run out on my car now... and since then nothing has gone wrong (touch wood).

If i do need work doing then itll be a 40 mile trip to see Mike at Portsmouth, at least then i know itll get sorted properly!

Yaris Hybrid

My car has been at the dealer since last Thursday morning when the engine management light came on just before they were due to deliver it.

I still havent heard a thing and they have had the car 4 days now (not including Sat or Sun)!!!!

How incompetent can you get?!

/t0y

Yaris Hybrid

To be honest I think I am being lied to so dont see the point in even talking to them. If it was an engine management light it would have been sorted by now. I reckon they pranged it when they went to put it on the trailer.

Am I ever gonna check it over thoroughly when it turns up...

/t0y

dk

911 GTS Cab

mine is in for its service on Saturday, im not even going to let them wash it! Just the basics please with the right oil and no tyres (even though they are on the limit).

Im dreading it!

Yaris Hybrid

So what do you do when you take it in? If it comes back with a scratch how can you prove it wasnt there before they had it. Can you get them to inspect the car before they take it off your hands?

Personally I think any reputable garage should spend 5 minutes when they receive a car going over it with one of those checklists that Renault Finance use when you return a car - ie noting down the condition of each panel etc so that they can agree the condition of the car with the customer.

Before you take it in for the service I would check that they have some 5W40 oil in stock..

As per the note that Renault UK reissued to all dealers reminding them that 5W40 oil was the ONLY grade to be used in ALL Renaultsport cars..

They washed mine Dave - sort of!

And Toypop, having the option to wait for the car and see it being serviced through a glass panel makes me less worried about the way the car is treated. Still prefer to do it myself tho.

Did get a loan of a RS225 for 20 mins or so and was very impressed with the car. Felt very well made and quick, just not nimble like the 182, more of a motorway cruiser. Very nice and probably more suited to my daily commute than the 182 is.

Absolutely no grip from the front tyres in the wet tho. Permanent TC light.

[Edited by welsh182 on 05 October 2004 at 6:07pm]

V6 255, 172's, JCW,

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 05 October 2004

So what do you do when you take it in? If it comes back with a scratch how can you prove it wasnt there before they had it. Can you get them to inspect the car before they take it off your hands?

Personally I think any reputable garage should spend 5 minutes when they receive a car going over it with one of those checklists that Renault Finance use when you return a car - ie noting down the condition of each panel etc so that they can agree the condition of the car with the customer.
Toypop...

Your dealer should be quite happy to check your car over for any damage (or lack of it) to it prior to them doing any work to it. They have a car plan sheet to make note of any damge found upon inspection... you then just sign it to confirm the condition of ya car!

I do this EVERY time my cars go in there.. so far so good!

Shaun

Ford Fiesta

we shouldnt have to dread taking it in to a official renault place!

Ive got my own oil to take elf stuff, I even doubt they will bother putting it in, maybe thats a tad too suspicious though! lol

I wouldnt want them to wash it or change tyres unless I was supplying. If thats the case with the obvious stuff, tyres oil etc then what about the non obvious stuff, oil filter, brake fluid, etc etc etc

they know nothing!!!!

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 05 October 2004

mine is in for its service on Saturday, im not even going to let them wash it! Just the basics please with the right oil and no tyres (even though they are on the limit).

Im dreading it!
I handed mine over with a list of things they were not to do to the car, ie clean, washer fluid etc f**kers still cleaned it and scratched it but I cant prove it was them. :mad: