ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 full fat...whats that?!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
this may sound very stupid of me...and im embarrassed because i love clios but i dont know!

what is a full fat clio 182, does it have extra options etc, help me please!!!

The full fat term is in realtion to the normal 182 with all of the bits on it (hence full fat) The cup versions don't have everything on them, so they aren't called full fat.
Personally I think the 'full fat' is a daft term, but loads on here use it !

No not really, it just means it's not a Cup. There weren't really that many options on the 182 anyway, really. It came with so much standard kit that it was stupidly good value for money. Hell, even the 'Cup' came with cruise control...in a £12k shopping trolley?? Mental cars.

Clio 172 mk2
Full fat = non cup i.e with all the extra weight of te climate control, nice seats and xenons

182 cup was a cheap variant, given there was a a better model available before anyway. A 20 kg advantage with the losses means a lower car and something you will always thinkabout & regret. The 182 with Cup packs gives the same chassis/suspension/wheels, but with are far better interior/sterio & toys.

If anyone thinks a 20kg advantage is a reason to downtrade then so be it.

Trouble is ol' chap everyone who has the cheaper version feels it is better because it may be half a tank full of petrol less. Imagine i there was a person in your car. or a cheaper car with a full tank and the better equipped car with a half empty one.

Too much nonesense. I've even heard a 172 cup has a weight of 1011kg. It was 1035 for all thoose people who quote the speciallity of a 172 cup (cheapo version).

You see there is a huge pen!s envy by cup owners. They feel their car is special and built as so. Whereas it was a cheap version designed to sell more. It did. In the time available sold more than the FF 172, where it was available for far less time.

I'm running and loving reality above bravado. LOL

Baldy, thank god for that.

Shame some people have no idea whatsoever. EG why would CC weigh more that air con. Same unit, just a different control unit. Does anyone think Renault do differing looms for all models. Duh, no. they leave the unneeded unconnected. At worst a few grams for the extra controls, rather than heavier knobs. How about a thicker belt buckle???. This gets so daft it has have the p1ss taken.

As to your 172 cup was and always was just a way to get people to buy more cars. Renault for all their faults were spot on. Even had people say the engines were chosen. LOL. It was a good bout of marketing to get people to pay 12.5K against 14.5K. Don't forget for a small shopping trolly that it too much.

Leon Cupra 300
bottom line though is the cup does give you a more focus'd drive and to a lot of people looks a lot better than the FF.. to me thats the reason of buying it and for its rarity factor not the price.

find it funny now how the cups are gradually becoming worth more than the FF's hehehe

There is no rarity. Don't forget the 182 Cup/ped versions had a longer wheelbase and better hubs. Your suspension was bettered by the latter vehicle.

This better drive is another lower owners perception of car ownership. How can it be when the car was moved forwards with the later versions??? Oh NO abs, NO ac, Not anything that makes it worth more.

Don't forget from previous posts that most 172's are advertised as cups.. It's just another version of having a monica after the name. Means nought and if people are paying more for the lesser car than they have been given too much SPIN. Same as you.

It may have a very slight straight line advantage over a 172, not a 182. Don't forget the suspension mods of the 182 against your 172. As for track work the 182 cup/cupped has an updated system. Same power to weight anyway.

Now consider the fact some young ones consider the fact the 172 cup has no ABS. A benefit, not. Some say that is because the car was designed for the track. NO NO NO. It was just a cheap version realy well marketed and sold more because it WAS CHEAPER. No track special, no nothing of the sort. The fact it will not happen again is the fact that NO mass manufactorer is allowed to produce a car without the life saving aids.

Some people!!!!!!

philmots said:
bottom line though is the cup does give you a more focus'd drive and to a lot of people looks a lot better than the FF.. to me thats the reason of buying it and for its rarity factor not the price.

Exactly. I could of afforded a 172 FF if I wanted one.

Blaze surely Renaults main aim is to sell more cars full stop?!

And at the end of the day; does it really matter? Are you on a mission to prove you bought the 'best' car or what?

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
cat171 said:
The full fat term is in realtion to the normal 182 with all of the bits on it (hence full fat) The cup versions don't have everything on them, so they aren't called full fat.
Personally I think the 'full fat' is a daft term, but loads on here use it !

You're right.

It is daft.

Just call them by their respective names instead of making them sound like milk bottles...

Its easy and less typing involved.

Example....172, 172 CUP....182, 182 CUP....:rolleyes:

And if you must use chav speak try and spell FAT correctly. There is no English language spelling for PHAT last time I looked.

The Grammar Nazi...

Leon Cupra 300
Of course the 172 cup is rare haha.. end of the day i wanted the cup basically because i liked the look of it over any other clio apart from the trophy. and because it does have that slight straight line advantage it kinda makes me smile..

and i see plenty of 172 owners eyeing my car up... i dont eye theres up

172 Cup
Another let's-put-the-172-Cup-down thread. We all know it was cheaper, who gives a s**t why Renault made it that price.

I too bought a Cup because I didn't care for ABS (that's not to say I don't think it's a driving advantage, it's just that my last car didn't have ABS so I don't miss it), I liked the look of it over the FF 172 (mainly colour and wheels), I liked the fact that they're rarer, and it is slightly faster.

Everyone's always banging on about it wasn't built for the track, who gives a s**t whether that was Renault's intention all along? The fact is it goes round a track faster than a FF 172. End of.

edit: Just noticed the title of this thread. Unbelieveable that a thread with a title like this one has ended up in a completely unrelated conversation/debate/arguement... typical.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
i feel i should apologise for starting this thread, so here goes...

sorry everyone!!!

172 Cup
It's not your fault. You can start a thread about wheel offsets these days and it would still turn into world war 3.

F

fletchie

Pepsi, I'm in the same boat as you it seems... I bought a 182 just two weeks ago and I have no idea if it's a full fat or cup, to be honest I don't care! I bought it cos it looks nice, sounds great and I just love the two exhaust pipes. I only discovered it had a cd autochanger under the passenger seat last weekend because i gave the car a clean. I'm still none the wiser what version the car is.

I'm lovin it anyway!!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
haha, i love that!
don't matter what it is, its an awesome car!!! im happy for you mate, wish my bank account would let me have one, but give it a year or so and ill join the rest of you!!!

ST
fletchie said:
Pepsi, I'm in the same boat as you it seems... I bought a 182 just two weeks ago and I have no idea if it's a full fat or cup, to be honest I don't care! I bought it cos it looks nice, sounds great and I just love the two exhaust pipes. I only discovered it had a cd autochanger under the passenger seat last weekend because i gave the car a clean. I'm still none the wiser what version the car is.

I'm lovin it anyway!!

What colour is it?

Does it have xenons?

Does it have half leather interior?

F

fletchie

My friends don't actually believe i got rid of a bmw mini cooper to get a clio, but at my age, (33) the insurance wasn't an issue. Being a abit of a girly on these things, I did the basic minimum homework and just bought what I liked the look of. Having discovered the extras afterwards has made me even more happier. Count the days off and get one as soon as you can. You won't regret it! (just don't ask what version it is!!!):D

pepsi69 said:
haha, i love that!
don't matter what it is, its an awesome car!!! im happy for you mate, wish my bank account would let me have one, but give it a year or so and ill join the rest of you!!!

F

fletchie

Alan said:
What colour is it?

Does it have xenons?

Does it have half leather interior?

Ok, it's black with gold flecks, it has a half leather and suede seats and I have no idea if it has xenons. Not much of a night driver me....:sleepy:

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
well i think you did a good move to get away from the mini!

clios are much more fun, and just so much better looking!
u wont regret it, i know i wont when i get one!

been thinking should i get another clio after already having one, but the answer is definately yes!

ST
It'll be a full fat 182 you have fletchie....mine is FF black gold it will have xenons....tho having an auto changer it maybe an import...

F

fletchie

Alan said:
It'll be a full fat 182 you have fletchie....mine is FF black gold it will have xenons....tho having an auto changer it maybe an import...

You clever boy - it is indeed an import (from France!!!) Gold star for you my friend!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
i love how much different people know about clios on here!

god bless the internet!!!

ST
pepsi69 said:
whats that mean alan?!?!

im not a 'wuman'!

Not you mate....

Fletchie..she doesnt know her car is an import as its got a CD changer and prob no standard alarm therefore its prob an import from Cyprus bought through Motorpoint or some sort of car supermarket.

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
think of it like milk, everyone says semi skimmed is better for you but the real cats with the full cream have the biggest smiles

Mini Cooper S sport
Well there's something I didn't know, couldn't you get CD changers on UK 182s? Thought they were an optional extra.

F

fletchie

No seriously - it is a French import and was indeed first registered in France and then shipped over to the UK. Wasn't being a smass ass!! I have the certificate and the DVLA transfer documents. I wasn't trying to be ironic! The first UK owner was french which may explain things and yes - it also does have a standard alarm. It is also a right hand drive. Is it so unsual to have a french import?? (setting aside the fact it's a french car)

I was being quite genuine when I called you a clever boy :dapprove:

Alan said:
No as in an import from Cyprus smart arse!

Does it have an alarm?

Last edited by a moderator: