ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 gearbox onto 172 engine & no reverse?

A45 AMG 406BHP
my garage man just fitted my box 182

and hes saying
he carnt get reverse at all
all other gears he can get?

any ideas?

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Yes mate, basically the linkage rod that runs from the gear stick to the gear selector underneath needs adjusting. By undoing it and rotating it slightly inside the sleeve it should cure it :)

A45 AMG 406BHP
he used the old linkage from old box and didnt move it from orinigal he said.
i bought the box of sutto autos on here.
surely the box should be good?

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Try playing with the linkage a bit, only one nut to undo (if its the same as mk1's) Move it about abit

A45 AMG 406BHP
it just feels like its blocked
like a solid wall
wont push into it?

ill tell garage man
cheers

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
he used the old linkage from old box and didnt move it from orinigal he said.
i bought the box of sutto autos on here.
surely the box should be good?

The long rod from the gear stick is hard to match up with the box, you really need two people to do it, as i found out when doing mine, in the end i had to keep the gear stick in neutral and a mate underneath bolting it, eventually we got reverse, but it took some time,

A45 AMG 406BHP
played around with linkage
old one and new one
tryed it
nothing
still carnt get reverse at all.
its just like its nothing there?
its like blocked? like a wall stopping it.
1st 2nd third fourth 5th are sweet.
but reverse nope.

we tryed selecting it by hand from the box and still couldnt get it.
we tryed on my old broken 172 box manually by hand and still nothing.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Right mate I'f I was you I'd take it some where that knows a bit about clios.

Basically if you disconnect the linkage and move the gear stick fully left and fully right you will see that yes there is only a limited amount of movement before as you say it feels "like a wall is stopping it" now you need to ensure that the gear linkage is set up so that the full selection of gears are available within the amount of gearstick movement available, the most common errors are inserting the linkage rod to far into the selector sleeve or (due to the nature that when moving the gear stick from left to right it applies a rotaional force onto the gear linkage moving selector up and down) the actual linkage rod needs a slight tweak of rotation inside the selector sleeve. Be warned though by rotating it to far it will be fifth gear that you wont be able to select.

Steve

www.renparts.co.uk
how was it sent? parcel or pallet? an impact on the bottom of the linkage can bend / break the selector forks, we have had it happen a few times.

A45 AMG 406BHP
parcel.

we have tryed it manually from the box
in everygear and possible place
and it always went foward.
ive tryed everything
steve sutt autos has still not go back to me.
we tryed the old linkage off my old box(which was working fine)

steve
ive already done that
and it just doesnt select reverse.
i can get it so it goes into reverse(on gearstick eg up and then across
then the wheels still go foward.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Yeah I noticed your other thread in sutt's section, it was just with you putting in your last post that you'd tried reverse on your old box and still no luck, I read it as you couln't get reverse on your old box either and wondered if your mechanic knew what he was doing LOL.

I just hope you don't send it back only for Steve to post up on here that it's fine and not been fitted properly, If it was me I'd be back under the car and adjust the linkage so that you cant select 5th gear, then if you still cant select reverse it's probably the box.

A45 AMG 406BHP
ive done that
ive put it so far away from 5th towards 1st and reverse way it wont go in 5th but still when it goes into reverse it just still goes into first and rolls foward.
ive been under the car for the last hour myself playing around
it just will not go in.
Ive even manually from the selector on the box its self tryed everygear(from box) with car running and clutch down to see what is what and everything i selected just span the wheels foward and never backwards.

lol no he found reverse on old box so he tryed that on the new box(same direction and it just feels like there is nothing there)
this is all manually by the way and not from the stick itself)

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
When u fix it let me know cus mines the same, only other thing is to try the accesible detent pins and reverse switch arnt seized or collapsed

A45 AMG 406BHP
When u fix it let me know cus mines the same, only other thing is to try the accesible detent pins and reverse switch arnt seized or collapsed

checked them
look fine.

just think its a new box to be honest
unless theres a place that would recon just reverse?which i doubt.

ill wait for steve at sutts autos to give me a ring first then ill go from there.
but just paid for fitting and the box
so will cost me for fitting again:mad:

get it down to fred at btm mate , you seriously need to take it to a garage that knows there stuff with the clio's , you need to contact steve at stutts auto's , 07772397646 , i dought it will be the box , i sold a short shift to a kid on here and he had the same problem with his when he fitted the short shift on it ,

A45 AMG 406BHP
hola nick
gave him a rang no answer at the moment.

its the box seriously
even me and my dad have tryed it
ive looked at the old clio gearbox but that into reverse(where reverse should be on the box)manually by hand and it goes into something
but the new one doesnt even let me go to the same area that the old box does.

what engine did the box come of did he say ph1 , ph2 or cup ??? try ringing him a few times he will get back to ya he always has with me ,

Clio Sport 172
I have the same problem mate. just bought a 40k mile box of ebay fitted it yesterday and i get 1 to 5 no problems but as soon as i select reverse theres nothing there and the car drives forward. ive played about with the linkage for hours adjusting every position you could possibly think of with still no luck. tried manually to select reverse on the box end and still cant get reverse. what was the outcome for you mate new box/ rebuild reverse? im takin the box back out this week and its goin straight through the blokes window who sold me it " totally faultless gearbox " suppose this is what u get for takin a risk on a second hand box

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I have the same problem mate. just bought a 40k mile box of ebay fitted it yesterday and i get 1 to 5 no problems but as soon as i select reverse theres nothing there and the car drives forward. ive played about with the linkage for hours adjusting every position you could possibly think of with still no luck. tried manually to select reverse on the box end and still cant get reverse. what was the outcome for you mate new box/ rebuild reverse? im takin the box back out this week and its goin straight through the blokes window who sold me it " totally faultless gearbox " suppose this is what u get for takin a risk on a second hand box

worn linkages and incorrect adjustment IMO

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
It took two attempts to get my linkage sorted recently,
1st had got increasingly harder to select over the past year, so a mechanic mate of mine adjusted it for me,
the next dy when I tried to reverse off my drive it went into 1st every time.

I went back to my mates garage and he re-adjusted it by no more than 3mm and every gear has been perfect since,
it would seem on mine, the slightest adjustment can mean the difference between perfect gears and no gears.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
It took two attempts to get my linkage sorted recently,
1st had got increasingly harder to select over the past year, so a mechanic mate of mine adjusted it for me,
the next dy when I tried to reverse off my drive it went into 1st every time.

I went back to my mates garage and he re-adjusted it by no more than 3mm and every gear has been perfect since,
it would seem on mine, the slightest adjustment can mean the difference between perfect gears and no gears.

probably another one that needs all the little nylon bushes on the linkage replacing. Cheap to do

330i. E30 Touring.
I'm with Danny on the adjustment call.

I've had a few where it seems impossible, make one of the tiniest changes and all is well.

A45 AMG 406BHP
Mine wasnt adjustment.
It wouldn't even select reverse off the car( try selectihg reverse via hand)

I bought another a box and all was well.

Clio Sport 172
worn linkages and incorrect adjustment IMO

defo not worn linkages since i have replaced all gearbox and gear lever end bushings. i have even fitted a new selector rod to rule out a bent rod. as for adjustment i have been a mechanic now for 10 years. i have tried every possible way you can set these linkages up
cant select reverse on the box end with selector rod removed. fubard gearbox it looks for me :(