ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 has gone, replaced by........

http://www.neilclough.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/320dsefv%5B1%5D.jpg

due to piling the miles on the clio i had to change. completely different drive in everyway. so no comparison really.

just wanted to say thanks to you all for having the answers to the queries i had and giving me a laugh.

if anyones interested the clios up for sale here:http://www.bishoptonmotor.co.uk/http://www.bishoptonmotor.co.uk/

but i think he may be a bit ambitious on the price.

cheers ppl

[Edited by matlow on 11 October 2004 at 12:28am]

Mazda MX5 1.8

aye just make sure you rememeber you DONT own the road!

hope ya have a lot of fun with it! (make sure the police dont find the drugs in it tho!) lol.

i did make sure it came with indicators as standard, although cant understand why everyone keeps driving in the bmw lane on the DC :p

i got £10.5k against the beemer, when i was looking it varied between as low as 9k and highest was 11k against a golf tdi.

clio had 9300 miles on it both cup packs

Meg on pistonheads £6995

^^ I assume a 320d?

better than a 330d when SUERCHIPPED cos 95% of power without nose heavy 6 cyclinder!

yup, 320d it is, 150bhp model. so far so good with it. after all of 2 days :) although still getting used to the different driving style of a diesel.

you got any more info on chipping etc.... i know VAG TDis are common but dont know anything about bmw chipping.

tbh looks like the availability of cheap imports/renault themselves pushing them out the door cheap, has forced used prices down. the only saving grace is the waiting time and peoples impatience to have one.

mine was a UK car aswell....

Quote: Originally posted by matlow on 11 October 2004

^^^^good luck mate, i thought of selling privately but couldnt be arsed with test pilots and the general hassle.

I know thats what im worried about, ive never thrashed or abused any of my cars and if anyone wanted to drive it to the limit i would ring there necks

Anyway would they be insured to test drive my car ????

matlow , how come your new car hasnt got the sport seats that all sport pack cars got as standard oh and that kit didnt come out till 2002 on the 02 has it been put on later on in its life .

just to point it out incase the dealer has told you porkies

nice car though shame bout the seats .

you got any more info on chipping etc.... i know VAG TDis are common but dont know anything about bmw chipping.
Tunnin boxes are more comon tan remap for them.

There are a few places which tunned them but they seem to be just if not sligly better tunning wise than the VAG engines of the same sixe.

215hp I think one tunning boxes company claims when the box is set to the maximum.

What exactly are you looking for tunning wise? Id go for a proper remep personally for the better power deliverrs warenty you can often get with them.

Quote: Originally posted by andyb on 11 October 2004

matlow , how come your new car hasnt got the sport seats that all sport pack cars got as standard oh and that kit didnt come out till 2002 on the 02 has it been put on later on in its life .

just to point it out incase the dealer has told you porkies

nice car though shame bout the seats .

its an 02 51 reg (registered jan). its not the sport but the SE with factory fit body kit and wheels. was looking for leather interior but it was lower down the list than low mileage and condition. id have liked to have found sports seats etc but thems the breaks and im impatient.

Do you lose economy when chipping the diesels?

I do like the 3-series, but a 5 door, thats just not logical captain.

-Rob

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 11 October 2004

Tunnin boxes are more comon tan remap for them.

There are a few places which tunned them but they seem to be just if not sligly better tunning wise than the VAG engines of the same sixe.

215hp I think one tunning boxes company claims when the box is set to the maximum.

What exactly are you looking for tunning wise? Id go for a proper remep personally for the better power deliverrs warenty you can often get with them.
just idle thinking really, waiting for a reply from amd with regards to price and gains. superchip quote 30 ponies for 500 quid. i guess if i lose fuel economy it defeats the object of the exercise.

Silver Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by black kro on 11 October 2004

^^ I assume a 320d?

better than a 330d when SUERCHIPPED cos 95% of power without nose heavy 6 cyclinder!
Not when the 330d is chipped! I was running 230bhp from my 330d Touring. Only mods were Miltek cat back exhaust and Tuningbox. The Tuningbox was really good, it just piggybacks your ECU. I could fit and remove it in 10 minutes and it cost £400. I was returning around 40mpg on short journeys up to 55mpg on long motorway journeys. I loved beating 330 petrols too. My mates MK2 172 couldnt keep up above 80mph either.

Someways I miss it but glad I have the 182 as its a bit more fun to drive but nowhere near as refined. The BMW never felt the same after someone did £3k worth of damage to the rear end.

ALso I thought all BMWs were 50/50 weight distribution so surely the weight if the 6cyl engine makes no difference? Mine always handles sweetly and for a bit of fun turn the traction off and let the back end slide.

storm, its a completely different animal. i have my "love my new car" head on so its difficult to be objective. the 182 was superb at driver involvement, sheer speed, acceleration and cornering ability, but for the daily commute i found it a pain in the arse. the bm is rattle free, really and i mean really well balanced weight wise and a pleasure to drive. theres times when i wish it was a 182 but..........

Quote: Originally posted by geoff_clio182 on 12 October 2004

Quote: Originally posted by black kro on 11 October 2004

^^ I assume a 320d?

Not when the 330d is chipped! I was running 230bhp from my 330d Touring. Only mods were Miltek cat back exhaust and Tuningbox. The Tuningbox was really good, it just piggybacks your ECU. I could fit and remove it in 10 minutes and it cost £400. I was returning around 40mpg on short journeys up to 55mpg on long motorway journeys. I loved beating 330 petrols too. My mates MK2 172 couldnt keep up above 80mph either.

Someways I miss it but glad I have the 182 as its a bit more fun to drive but nowhere near as refined. The BMW never felt the same after someone did £3k worth of damage to the rear end.

ALso I thought all BMWs were 50/50 weight distribution so surely the weight if the 6cyl engine makes no difference? Mine always handles sweetly and for a bit of fun turn the traction off and let the back end slide.
Not sure if thats true but everyone Ive ever driven has been well balanced. Loved my mates 330 so refined compared to the 172, and as you say great fun to chuck around with traction off!

just a randon thought but why does everyone mask off their number plates when showing pictures of their cars!!!

insignia

My dad got the 320D with a 6 speed box.I drive it every now and again.What can I say its as dull as a rainy sunday but as smooth as a babys bum.Makes you appreciate a fun raw car like the 172/182;)

NEAR 50/50 weight distribution. things like battery etc get relocated to the boot on the 6cyl models and in general any components that can be located around the car rather than behind the dash against the bulkhead etc are on a bmw unlike some manufacturers.

RX-8

theres a test in the current autocar on the 330d with I think a DSG chip I think the BHP rises to 260 BHP with 450lbft torque 0-60 in 5.9! not sure if they mention the 320d and the chip was about £1,000.

Yeah the 320ds are nice motors. My Dad currently has a 320d Touring which I drive every now and again, take a bit of getting used to and its a completely different style of driving - not least due to the huge amount of torque available. Driving position is almost spot on....apart from the offset pedals and the big steering wheel which could be a little smaller....but you certainly feel in control and well concooned, seated close to the tarmac!

Just been out for a quick burn in my motor, after spending the last couple of days in a 1.8 Ford Focus-C Max which would struggle to pull a skin off a rice pudding and felt like a blamange when cornering.......BUT it really makes you appreciate your car for what it is - bloody quick and with extremely sorted handling.

Its quite funny you get used to a car when you drive it day in day out, and you begin to think, ahhh its not that quick really, you build up a very high level of familiarity and its only driving other less able vehicles that you truly recognise this!

So 5 months into Renaultsport 182 ownership, and 6,000 miles down the road, its certainly the best little car that Ive owned (for the money) and the engine is a gem!

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 12 October 2004

NEAR 50/50 weight distribution. things like battery etc get relocated to the boot on the 6cyl models
Since when? / opens bonnet - oh look, theres the battery.

German cars are in my opinion: very well refined and engineered, but they all seem to lack that fun sensation and a bit of character. Germans arent too good at character i think. Whereas french cars rattle like a b*tch and as we all know have several faults mainly due to all their factory workers being farmers but they do know how to build cars that have a chuckable aspect to them and the rattles add to the character.

Im basing my comparison on a Clio 1.2 16V (75bhp) and a Golf 1.4 Mk4 (also 75bhp). I thought germans were good at tuning until i got my clio. Thing about the golf though is the sound. It sounds like a 2 litre when youve got the foot down. Anyway, "entry level car comparison rant" over.

Ta, Andy