ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 in snow/ice

has anyone tried their 182 in the snow yet?

I cant beleive how crap mine is, i thought front wheel drive itll be ok.... got out off my drive on to the main road (about 1" snow) very slight hill, that was it. i had to turn the traction control off to get it off the drive. i even reversed and took a run (slide) at it! so i turned round and went home, where i got ohh woman driver.... luckly my hubby took it out and never got past my marks in the snow! lol i would never had lived it down. are all 182s the same?

Clio 197

Depends on whats underneath the snow.

Sometimes there can be ice underneath it, and so theres no hope, without proper winter tyres.

I remember a 4x4 sliding backwards towards me down a slight incline, where I was able to go up no problems (in my A3 1.8T, front wheel drive). He had summer tyres on, and I had winter tyres on.

My friend gave me a ring later on that day, to say hes stuck in the snow. He was in a Jag X type - again, summer/all season tyres.

Again, just with front wheel drive, I towed his car all the way to the motorway, which was clear.

The problem is, we hardly have weather like this, so for most people, its not worth getting a spare set of wheels for winter.

clio 182

front wheel drive cars are better in the snow but the lower profile tyres the worse it gets hence the 182 not great cant beet minis in the snow old ones i mean

I hate to say this but im the best at driving in the snow in my family and im the youngest driver too. Im 18 with my clio 1.2 16v and my brother (20) with his golf is absolutely rubbish. my mum (45) with her golf is just an 8 mile a day driver and my dad (46) with his volvo V40 is alright but id say its the car.

Ive driven through lanarkshire (really bad in the snow) many a time (girlfriend used to live in Blackwood which is a tiny village in lanarkshire) in the snow (stuff like snowdrifts & ice for entire country lanes) in my clio and in the golf and the volvo and whenever i loose traction i handle the car perfectly. Id say its because im so interested in the mechanics that i now exactly how to counter-act and compensate for any slides.

also about the winter tyres thing. What you really need is an Evo VIII with studs. Then you can trash it up the country lanes at 100mph in the snow lol. Ahh.. thatd be fun.

Quote: Again, just with front wheel drive, I towed his car all the way to the motorway, which was clear.

Thats brilliant. I bet he felt embarassed about that. with the "Winter sports car" HA.

I hate ABS in the ice. quite scary

BMW 120i Sport

Ive found the opposite, with the ESP switched off the front of the 182 moved left and right violently with the revs screaming. With the ESP on, just plant the throttle and itll do the rest ... thats what ive found anyway.

It seems that the TC on the 182 is different to the TC on my old Fiesta Zetec-S. On the Fez, the revs would still scream as the breaks grabbed the disc (was bloody useless). On the 182, it appears that the power from the engine is killed because the revs arent screaming when the wheels start slipping.

Getting up the hill in the snow tonight was a piece of cake thanks to the ESP.

The most likely thing is the summer tyre thing, sometimes mytyres tells you if its an all season/summer/winter tyre.

The Clio hasnt got wide tyres really, it should technically be alright. Skinny tyres as possible you want, and something that can pull a higher gear. I had to slip the clutch a lot in my 1.216v last winter.

-Rob

well i have got the cup pack so i expected to have a bit of trouble, but i did expect it to move! cant have everything i suppose;)

The bright side is, im saving petrol, but its costing my other half a fortune!!

Ive just been snowboarding in England yes England. I got there in the cup, up hartside to the Penines, loads of snow took it steady past a few cars. Got there fine! tyres are almoost on the limit too. It would have been a different story in my RWD BMW

dk

911 GTS Cab

no snow where I am:(

I was always taught to turn ESP off when in snow as its better to use lower gears and control it yourself.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

It can!!! Last year i was playing in a big are next to Djw Daves (West Lothian) and did a 900 degree (2 and a half) spin!!!! Took some doing but was good fun, wasnt completly flat road which helped!

Got some skinny steelies on just now and not had a problem but then i tend not to as i take it nice and easy, only skids are delibrate ones and I love not having ABS.

Came within 4 inches of putting my 182 into another car on the way to work this morning. Just turning left into a lane from main road and it went sideways. No problems for the cars I was following. Wasnt going too fast and gentle braking.

Steering just feels so light that I cant feel whether there is still traction. Not fun...

Will turn the ABS off tomorrow and see if that improves things.

Quote: Originally posted by JonK on 23 February 2005

Came within 4 inches of putting my 182 into another car on the way to work this morning. Just turning left into a lane from main road and it went sideways. No problems for the cars I was following. Wasnt going too fast and gentle braking.

Steering just feels so light that I cant feel whether there is still traction. Not fun...

Will turn the ABS off tomorrow and see if that improves things.

you cant turn abs off !!??

Drove in a couple of inches of snow today, no issues, ESP want at all invasive so didnt consider turning it off. Just need to be gentle and the tyres are always a little hard till Ive covered a mile or so.

Thing with the 182 is that the throttle is fly by wire so the traction control can reign in the power without having to hammer the brakes and r****d the timing. Drive with a gentle foot so the car has time to respond and all is well.

ABS kicked in loadsa time this morning on the way to work in the snow...driving me nuts everytime i had to brake... even at low speeds the Exalto seems to lack grip on snow/slush...shame cos theyre fab on dry roads :cry:

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

i had some probs coming home there had to ditch car outside house on a hill - mite slide away - ah ha!!

the esp kicked in when i planted it - but kept it sensible in hills though i live on a hill and felt i was just burning the clutch out so left it - got some pics, picked this one http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=13&TopicID=143845&PagePosition=1http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=13&TopicID=143845&PagePosition=1 have a look at the second link its better;)

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 23 February 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Danny P on 23 February 2005

I did a quality 360 handbrake turn this morning on my drive!!
you mean 180 deg?? 360 i cant see being done
You should see the size of his drive! And car collection.

Ive got mixed feelings about my 182 in snow/ice. Ive noticed before that the ABS seems a bit too keen to kick in at times. Theres a T-junction near where I live, and it briefly kicks in every time I brake there. My last car was a mark 2 MR2 and the ABS only ever kicked in briefly in snow/ice. This morning I braked really early for the junction, and I must have travelled about 8 metres with the ABS constantly on. My traction control never came on, despite the car sliding a bit as I climbed a hill in 2nd gear - although I have to say, it did climb the hill a lot easier than the MR2 would have (but that was rear wheel drive). When its dry though, I think the 182 drives so much better than my old MR2 (and I really loved that)!!!

driving in the snow generally comes down to driver ability and understanding of the road conditions. if your contantly sliding locking up then you are just driving far too fast for the conditions. i know when im driving int he snow i drive with no music on so i can hear what the car is doing aswell as feel through the pedels and steering.

H22A7 Accord Type R

i was bloody out on the 40 profile 17s this morning..........booooooo, wish i still had the 15s on fome some fun factor!! Nothing too scary to report........but it is cool being in a 1.2 and spinning in 3rd gear haha! ABS is awful in in though!

Am I being thick or does ABS only kick in when it senses the wheel isnt actually turning? Surely if the ABS kicks in then its preventing what have otherwise be dangerous skid?

Sorry but Im not understanding some comments in this thread. Snow is S-L-I-P-P-E-R-Y :p

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Roy - I think theres a point at which the wheels are still turning, but slower than they should (if that makes sense). In other words, they are "skidding", but not enough to be a total lock-up. Its when the ABS kicks in in this instance that it can be a pain I think, as youve not actually lost control yet, but the ABS reduces your ultimate braking efficiency.

Ahhh I see cheers dude.

Didnt realise there were so many budding snow stage rally drivers here who want to be able to brake harder in the snow though :sick:

ABS totally buggers your braking in the snow as it stops the wheels locking (duh!) which in turn stops the snow-plough effect of locked wheels! Hence you actually take longer to stop, which is why a lot of german/scandinavian cars give you a button with the sole purpose of aiding winter driving by ditching the ABS...

Didnt know that. Personally I avoid locking wheels in the snow. My style is to use high gears to accelerate, avoiding wheel spin, and changing to lower gears to slow the car down, not relly even using the brake pedal unless I have to.

Dont think the 182 is any different in the snow as any other car. It all depends on how you drive. Must say I was about 1mm of a concrete post when it started going side ways on the drive. Proper sh*t mi sen.

Clio 182, Audi A3

A light(ish) car with wide(ish) tyres is never going to be any good on snow. This applies to all makes and all models; even 4wd isnt brilliant in snow with wide tyres. If you want a great snow car, find a Citroen 2CV with its bicycle type tyres.

drove home last night at about 10:00 pm on untreated roads, and it was just wheelspinning all the way, in 2nd at any throttle....not good on narrow, car lined roads!

Quote: Originally posted by Grandad on 25 February 2005

A light(ish) car with wide(ish) tyres is never going to be any good on snow. This applies to all makes and all models; even 4wd isnt brilliant in snow with wide tyres. If you want a great snow car, find a Citroen 2CV with its bicycle type tyres.
lol, i can just see myself in a 2cv,

cheers all, ill leave my baby in the drive till all the snow clears.