ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Insurance Problem

ArcticBlue 182 Phull Phat
Hi, I've only ever driven MK1s and after reading through this forum I've alllllways wanted to upgrade to the porper rs clios. I decided to take a test drive on what I thought was a cheap blue 182 that i thought was well worth the money. The spec of the car was

Arctic Blue 04 Plate
182FF both packs
1 owner
35000 miles
Mint wheels
A few BL1NG H4LF0RDS stick-on mods

Price: £6995

Given the price I sneakily booked a test drive on my lunchbreak at work and had a test drive the next day.

Now to finance this car it would be about 30% of my wage so if i did buy the car it would have to put a big ol' smile on my face.

First Mistake: Dont test drive a 182 if your unsure of buying one....you will want to make love to the first moment you step on the gas.

After the 30 min romp around some country roads I decided to put a downpayment on the car and start to arrange some insurance.

Im 19 Been driving for 15 months 2 Years NCB Clean License and the best quote i can get as a named driver on my dads policy is £2053. Does anyone have any advice on what they paid/ WHo they are currently with/What is the cheapest way to be insured but not on your name?

Any Help Would be Top Draw

Cheers

If you were 21 it would be alot cheaper... its alot to pay, but to be fair its not exactly a bad price considering! You're a liability insurance wise!

I only pay £460 (PNCB) on my 172, but then I am 23...

But have you tried Tesco? They always seem to come up cheapest, with any car. Although I know they refused to insure me on one car I had when I was 20, so they might just refuse you, being 19

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
If you were 21 it would be alot cheaper... its alot to pay, but to be fair its not exactly a bad price considering! You're a liability insurance wise!

I only pay £460 (PNCB) on my 172, but then I am 23...

But have you tried Tesco? They always seem to come up cheapest, with any car. Although I know they refused to insure me on one car I had when I was 20, so they might just refuse you, being 19

It might be cheaper when hes 21 iIF he hasnt any convictions, claims etc etc...

Im 21 with no NCB (wrote a car off last nov) and mines is £1200 with a £500 excess. Cheap car insurance doesnt exist:S

Clio 172
I pay £870 for me and my girlfriend on my 172 with 2 yrs ncb and my missus claimed off insurance in 2005.that's with endsleigh.I'm 23 and she's 22.

182 has now gone!
I would try a quote with your mum or a female you know as a named driver and see if it lowers the premium..
When Ollie got his renewal through last year the price hadnt really changed.. But it dropped quite a bit when he added me to it..

Last edited:
  182 & Porsche 986
thats crazy it's why im getting a 172 not 182 because for some reason theres over a grand difference in the insurance, don't know why!

Is it lots expensive having your own policy? its going to be better for the future

Clio 172 mk2
Unlucky

I'd drive something normal till your older and build up the no claims.

We've all had to do it, no short cuts I'm afraid

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Wait till your 21 or you have 3 years NCB,

I saved over 1000quid waiting till i had 3 years NCB.

Up rocks
Try a quote for a 172 with your Mum/Girlfriend/Sister as a named driver, should b quite a bit cheaper than 2k

BMW 320d SE
^ As above.
It's going to be pricey at your age tbh. I'm 26 and pay £385 fully comp :)
Try Adrian Flux, or Greenlight Insurance. Both are very good and extremely competitive - none of that comparison website nonsense either!

EP3 Civic Type R
One thing you have mentioned, its taking 30% to finance this car, if insurance is say '2k', are you sure you want to plug this much money into what really is just a 'car'

Maybe waiting 18 months or so will seem such a good idea in hindsight. Don't get me wrong, I was 22 when I bought my 172, but to think id be putting in anymore than 20% into financing and insuring it, id be thinking its not such a good idea

Just my 2p

Just renewed my insurance went with Direct-line

23 2ncb paying £750fc

Ian

Focus TDCi
As I've mentioned in a few threads before, I'm 20 with 1, nearly 2, years NCB. I've looked around putting both 1 and 2 years NCB on the forms and there is just nowhere that will insure it for a sensible price. Tesco and Direct Line won't even give me a quote and Adrian Flux and Elephant were both over £3,000.

For a 1.6ltr I've been quoted £~1,200 by Tesco. Hope this helps.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Unlucky

^^^ - The Quote of this Thread.

At 33, I can still get ring-stung off the insurers. Postcode plays a massive part in your premium too.

Hang in there though - it does get better. This year is the first year where I've had Evo quotes for sub-£1k. Which although I would despise in paying, is fair enough given what type of car it is.

D.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Look on the brightside, when your insurance comes down a few grand you will be able to put fuel in it, christ who knows you might be able to fill the tank once a year, petrol should only be about £3.89 a litre...

Clio 172 mk2
Unlucky

^^^ - The Quote of this Thread.

At 33, I can still get ring-stung off the insurers. Postcode plays a massive part in your premium too.

Hang in there though - it does get better. This year is the first year where I've had Evo quotes for sub-£1k. Which although I would despise in paying, is fair enough given what type of car it is.

D.

Well maybe most of us who are sensible have put in the time driving crap!

I drove a mid eighties MG Metro when I was 19/20...how f**king bad is that!

172 Cup
Mate i had the same problem as you for a while! It is all down to the 21 barrier though! I am with tesco and when i was 20 it was 1800 and 21 it was 790 and that is under my dads name with full NCB and no convictions!