ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Lightening

Golf GTD Mk7
I know most people tend to strip out the interior to save weight, but is there anything under the bonnet that could be removed? I know you can go for the carbon fibre bonnet option, but is there anything else?

Tav

Clio 197
Carbon fibre is a bit excessive, can always get a fiberglass bonnet...got to weigh up cost vs. weight...in some cases teh fiberglass can be lighter than carbonfiber depending on construction. Not sure what's available bonnet wise for the Clio though.

Road car or?

There is a large piece of metal near the belts on the drivers side of the engine, I believe it stops engine vibrations by being dead weight. If I remember rightly it weights a number of Kg and the cup racers dont have it. You'll have to search for more info, but I know there are fellas on here who have whipped it out for a very good weight saving!

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
^^ I did this on my 182FF. It was a complete @rse to get out owing to the lack of space in that area. Unclipping the headlight wire and it's plastic clip freed up just enough space to get it out. The lump weighs 2.5kg iirc. Can also get rid of plastic engine cover, underbonnet felt, engine hoists and possibly fuel rail cover. Lightweight battery could save 10kg from the n/s side of engine bay.

^^ I did this on my 182FF. It was a complete @rse to get out owing to the lack of space in that area. Unclipping the headlight wire and it's plastic clip freed up just enough space to get it out. The lump weighs 2.5kg iirc. Can also get rid of plastic engine cover, underbonnet felt, engine hoists and possibly fuel rail cover. Lightweight battery could save 10kg from the n/s side of engine bay.

there we go, someone who can prove im not a idiot lol. Do you need to support the engine and undo the engine mount too?

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
Yep, but I didn't support it in exactly the right place, so the engine tilted slightly, just enough that the last bolt only engaged by a couple of threads. As i tightened it the engine pulled back into place, but I was having kittens that the threads might strip. Luckily they didn't! All-in-all the experience was a complete nightmare, but mainly because I was an idiot!

b/g 182, meg tourer
engine hoists, sound proofing, swap battery for a lightweight one, acoustic valve and pipe work, a/c system, engine cover, fog lights (not really engine bay but front end)

PH1 172 Sport
iirc Some people have removed the sound proofing behind the engine as well.

Does anyone have a picture of this weight?

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Burp was the first to discover the dead weight in the engine bay i belive, check his project thread as he has all info in there ;).. gonna remove mine when i get the new engine mounts in

b/g 182, meg tourer
hoists are here...

hoists.gif

2 bolts in the one circled. and the one that the arrow is pointing too, you will be able to see if you look around the back of the engine cover.

Golf GTD Mk7
ah, thought it might have been them. which mount is that chunk of metal under? If you put in uprated mounts and remove it the vibration would be minimal anyway I would assume.

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
The weight is between the O/S suspension turret and the headlight. Below all the air con gubbins. As I say, hideous to get out. Pulling the headlight cable and plastic clip out of the turret opens out the space just enough to wiggle it out.

Didn't notice much difference in noise or vibration when removed, although the engine seems to settle into a slight tappety noise now after about five seconds on idle. Not sure if the two things are related.

Golf GTD Mk7
suppose the only way to reduce the vibration is to tweek the engine. Strange that the new mounts dont improve the vibration.

Racing Blue 182
Just a quicky - I removed the Engine Hoist Brackets from the 182 today, and they weigh approx. 495g (with bolts). So nothing to get too excited about, but it all adds up, and for the 2 minutes it took me, worthwhile.

P.S. 495grams is probs about £1 million quids worth of development on an F1 car... Lol!