ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 manifold on a 172

Astra (H) VXR
So drove my mates 182 the other day noticed the lower down revs are a bit more responsive, is this due to the manifold?

Is it worth getting one on a 172? I have a straight through exhaust already so fitting shouldn't be much of a problem..

Tips advice anyone?

Thanks

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I here its sub frame off to fit, the pain in the ass is not worth the hassle.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Drop subframe or remove cylinder head to fit basically. (Ie its easy to do if you have head off anyway)

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
I was looking into doing the same but it turns out its not worth it especially with the agg fitting it

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There are midrange gains but they are pretty minor. We did it on my mrs rs2 car but I wouldn't say I would recommend it as a general mod tbh.

Astra (H) VXR
Sounds like a pain in the arse, scratch that idea for a laugh then...

Thanks for the info guys... Much appreciated..

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I would only do it again if the engine or subframe was out for some other reason. I only did it because I snapped the cat on the drag strip and figured why the hell not. If it aint broke don't fix it!

I plan to have a go at this when it's a bit warmer. My 182 felt a bit better to drive at low/mid revs than my phase 1.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
was main reason i did mine, 172 cat was fubar'd, was cheaper to do a conversion with a custom sport cat (not k-tec's over priced one) with the correct flanges than replace with a new 172 standard cat

That's the ONLY reason I'd do it

I fitted a 182 manifold to mine as I had the 172 manifold off to fit a new starter motor and thought it'd be easy

It was still a full afternoon job to drop the subframe down low enough to get the manifold through. But at least I can switch between a sports cat and decat in about 5 minutes flat now :)

Yeah I didn't realise that haha

I pulled the 172 one out the top (no inlet manifold as I'm on ITB's)

Threw it away, fitted a new starter motor, went to fit the 182 one and went "DOOHHHHHHHH" so loudly I suspect people in nottingham heard me lol
3 hours on my back undoing subframe bolts and rack pipe clamps - finally got the subframe low enough to slide the 182 one in place

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ha ha. Fair play for not just giving up and putting up a wanted ad for a 172 manifold.

I had to take the head off my mrs one anyway as it had a belt failure so I figured it was ideal time.
Once fitted the 182 is actually easier to work with for things like starter in terms of you can get on all the bolts very easily.