ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 not starting 1st time only in morning!

Clio 182 cup
My 182 seems to have developed a problem the last couple of days where it won't start 1st time, but this only ever happens first thing in the morning. The car turns over so I'm presuming its not linked in any way to the starter. I can guarantee though that it starts perfectly 2nd time round. I must stress this is only ever happening in the morning, any other time its perfect.

I've read around and seen posts on similar things but there seems to be a wide range of suggestions so I'm hoping someone can narrow this down for me a bit. Anyone suffered with similar problems? I've read suggestions on turning the key half way to bring dash lights up first before starting??

Cheers guys

Clio 182
Igster,
I would be interested to see what the resolution is to this issue. I have this issue also, when I took the car back to the dealers they said they could not find a fault.

Please let me know how you get on.

Regards
Rich :)

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Now i've only had my 182 for a few weeks, but mine has done this a few times already.

It starts for about 2 seconds then seems to run out of revs and stalls. Then when you start it again, it works and stays on. Very strange indead!:eek:

Clio 182 cup
Seems I'm not the only one with the problem. I'm not convinced taking it the stealers will solve the problem like you say Ritch they haven't a clue what it is. Reading around at other posts it seems others have had the same problem with Renault and this fault.

I will let you know Ritch if I can find anything else out, but at the moment I'm hoping a fellow cliosporter can point me in the right direction.

Edde, you say the coolant temp sensor, what role does this have in the ignition process? Has anyone else had this changed and solved the problem?

ST
Weight saving again eh...reno must have took some extra weight out by putting less wiring into the ignition system on the 'cup'....crazy b@stards!!

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
I used to have this problem. Turns out I'm turning the key too fast for the immobiliser to switch off. If I turn the key in 2 stages, i.e. put the ignition on, pause and then start it will start first time. Much in the same way you can't open the door too quickly after unlocking it or the alarm goes off. French electrics :rolleyes:

Clown Car
^Yep switch ignition on then wait for lights to go out then start, mine used to not start sometimes if i left the ignition in the on position too long - lol.

Inferno Clio Cup 182
Two thoughts

Some of the guys down here in Oz swear by cleaning the TDC sensor. If this does not give a good read, the engine won't fire correctly.

Other possibility is the battery. Several guys reported this starting problem a few weeks before their battery was pronounced dead.

Hope you find a speedy resolution.

I used to have this problem. Turns out I'm turning the key too fast for the immobiliser to switch off. If I turn the key in 2 stages, i.e. put the ignition on, pause and then start it will start first time. Much in the same way you can't open the door too quickly after unlocking it or the alarm goes off. French electrics :rolleyes:

Ahh the old setting the alarm off because I'm too fast trick hehe.

I also do the key thing too fast lol!

clio sport 172
I have the exact same starting issue with my '03 172 - however I am also having probs with trip computer resetting overnight, which has been discussed in other threads and is suspected to be related to the battery being on the way out. I'm pretty sure the battery I have is the original, so hopefully when I eventually replace it all will be fixed... (?)

\\/\///

I have the exact same starting issue with my '03 172 - however I am also having probs with trip computer resetting overnight, which has been discussed in other threads and is suspected to be related to the battery being on the way out. I'm pretty sure the battery I have is the original, so hopefully when I eventually replace it all will be fixed... (?)

\\/\///

Yep thats should fix it.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Two thoughts

Some of the guys down here in Oz swear by cleaning the TDC sensor. If this does not give a good read, the engine won't fire correctly.

Other possibility is the battery. Several guys reported this starting problem a few weeks before their battery was pronounced dead.

Hope you find a speedy resolution.

I had this problem when the car got to about two years old that when it was cold and only when it was cold it never starting on the first try, but always on the second. I complained to the dealer when it was being serviced. They said they fixed it by replacing the TDC sensor. That surprised me enormously, because I couldn't see how a fault in it could cause that symptom. You'd think it'd either work or it wouldn't. But rthe problem was gone. The car started first time every time.

Now, another two years later its doing it again. Except its out of warranty now. Maybe it doesn't need replacing, it just needs cleaning.

Clio 182 cup
Thanks for all your helpful replies guys. Tried it again this morning and it started first time no problems!! This time though, I turned the key half way, waited a sec, and then started so I'm thinking this could be the old french electrics problem already mentioned. Not sure why its only just started to do this thought so might clean out the TDC too just to be safe.

Cheers again