ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 on last legs...

Shhh
Got a Racing Blue 182 with 33,000 on the clock. Registered March 04 and its on its last legs, its getting chopped in for a new clio.

Went to the dealer, said i can have £8,000 p/x on a normal clio, Seen a 1.4 Expression i like up for £8495 (new shape), loads of mpg's as im sick of seeing 26-29mpg out the 182. Costing me a fortune and it needs a 36k service soon.

My car is worth £8k ish ~, and the new clio is prob worth £8k ish too. In 2 years time the 182 will only be worth £5k. In 2 years the new clio will only be worth £5k ish.

So id rather have the new clio with remainder of warranty than the 182. Had 16 warranty claims in the car since Dec 04. Very lucky not to be going for a Polo, but i think we like the new clio. Maybe it will suprise me.

The deal is looking like a straight swap, with them buying the tax for the new clio. Clio 182 insurance is only £670 full comp, so this new clio will drop too £280 ish...nice eh...

Loads of mpg, 18,000 mile services, cheap tyres.. (not £136 each) and loads of room. Just wish i can get a diesel for the price i have, tho i only owe £5200 on the 182 (bank loan for it as bought it with cash) so not wanna loan anymore for the price to drop...

I sit in the 182 and love driving it, tho im sick of having to fill it up. Put £33 in it on friday to get from Lincoln to Sunderland, got here and i was on 1 dash from empty, today the fuel light is on. Have to fill it up again, so another £30-£35 to do 171mile....

Nice eh..

Bye Bye Clio 182...

MINI JCW
171 miles from £30 thats shocking, you are averaging about 23mpg! now you either drive it hard or theres something not right

My 182 returns a healthy 35mpg, mainly a road driving with a few blasts, driven carefully on the same roads and 40+ is a possibility

Also what I dont understand is why are you buying another Renault if the last one was so much trouble, if I had problems with mine and they couldnt be sorted by money would go in another manufacturers pocket when I came to buy my next car

Shhh
Mike_SE said:
on its last legs?! what do you mean?

Well its had (new)...

Alternator
Battery
Shock absorber
Heater temperature sensor
Ecu
Heater Fan
Battery - Alternator cable repaired
2 strips above exhaust on bumper replaced
Cruise Control switch replaced
Plastic cover under rear seat covering petrol tank pump replaced

Sales related probs

LH door panel replaced (deep scores in the alcantara)
Alloy replaced (kerbed not by me)
Rear window washer inop, pipe found trapped and then they chipped me spoiler. Unproven damage.
Im on my 3rd set of tyres on the front. Originals on the rear.

Ive called the AA out 5 times, a few times ive been towed / recovered.

Call 1.

The car stank of burning rubber, they came out and said it was ok. Tho to take ito renault. Renault said they could not fit me in

Call 2.

The alternator was giving off smoke, and car stank of rubber. AA said to drive it locally, watch water temp. Renault said cant fit me in for 2 weeks.

Call 3.

AA called as alternator really smoking when driving. Car stank of rubber even when a/c on or not. Told not to use car. Renault now able to help me. Loss of car for 4 days with no car.

Call 4.

Car died on A1 (after alternator replaced). Towed by AA approved garage e 80mile home. Battery had supported me from York - Newark.

Call 5.

Bonnet would not close. Bonnet catch removed by AA, greased up and put back on.

Its had more, tho i cant remember...its a right old case of a really bad car...in the process of writing to renault uk and auto express about it.

Nimbus Clio 197
sure have been unlucky mate, bad luck :( same age as my 172 cup and i've had no problems with mine at all (touch wood!)

Shhh
Its had issues. I bought it in Dec 04 with 11,800 on the clock. Since then its been in renault more times that ive probably been out on the beer.. Ive had many clios, and a Megane Scenic as a courtsey car. We used the megane when we went camping, the kids loved it

On friday, the petrol light was on. So i went the garage and put about £33 in the tank. I then reset me mileage thingy and set off on the journey. First part is the caistor highway, which is an A classed B road, probably average 8-mph up it..nice road...then onto the M180, M18 then M62, then a1, then a19 to sunderland.

Friday when i got here, the car was on one dash, and i went to sunderland and back, maybe 20mile and the fuel light came back on the way home. Not been out in it today, so know ill have to put more in.

Really could say it cost £28 ish for a 171mile journey on a nice road, tho this is every week, twice a week. A normal car is required. Shall post all the faults ive had, tho its about 16 warranty claims, and even more work.

Its also had, bonnet alarm sensor, a rubber thing from off the bonnet, and prob needs a n/s front shock as it makes a graunching noise when i put full lock on, and pull away, sounds like the shock is sticking, or the wheel is bouncing along the road....nice eh...

I had a normal clio before the 182, which made me buy the 182. Just hope the next is ok, or its being chopped in...

Question now is what colour, i like the grey and red one. Not the black one...too dark..

So, 1.2 16v or 1.4 16v. Diesel is out as of price, and not want a 1.6 as to fuel ecomony. I also want a tow bar for which i could not have with the 182.

you will lose the vat you pay straight away. Personally there is never a winner with cars. Renault always ave and always will be patchy in terms of reliability.

if depreciation and reliability are the major worries then get a vw. safe bet

Thats shocking, as much as it seems like a bad egg it also seems like you've had a rough ride with your Renault dealer too which hasn't helped, why stick with Renault?!

Car must be seriously fooked though to return consistently under 30mpg, I can get close to 40mpg in my Cup without trying too hard and average is 34. Tyre wear seems reasonable though, my fronts lasted me 12k I think so three sets in 33k seems ok.

A well built VW
you will probably not notice any difference in economy between the 1.2 and the 1.4 but if it was me get the 1.4 your gonna miss the power anyway so get the 1.4 its quite a good engine for what it is nearly 100 brake Speak to Susanmc on here she has just bought one I personally think the new clio will depreciate slower than the 182
Let us know how you get on - I regret not getting a black car but i still have a soft spot for capsicum red or whatever the new colour is

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
to be honest i wouldn't get an expression, get a dynamique and then you get alloys, sports seats (same as your 182 but without the leather/alacantra), spoiler, front fogs, trip computer and a couple of other toys

the 1.6 16v is ment to be quite an economical engine (due to VVT possibly?) and although it only has 10bhp more than the 1.4 it has a lot more torque

Shhh
The 1.6 would be better, but i only owe £5200 ish on the 182 loan, not wanna pay anymore for a clio that is worth no more than £8k.

Gotta look at when the prices drop, basically im paying a future new car price.....so only losing out on the mileage already on the car. Seen one with 380 mile on it, which is nothing. With March bringing 06 reg out, clio's shall be popping up everywhere forsale in dealers. See they still trying to push the old 1.2 16v clios for £7k new registered...still steep as i paid that 3 years ago for mine..

Gotta do a test drive, tho i think its sold already...

LY V6 with Recaros
That's a hell of a lot of problems you've had with it, must be very unlucky! :( Better luck with the next one!

Focus RS, 182 gone
M8, get a grip and give ur self a slap, U dont swap a 182 for a bog o clio. Yeah, maybe its a little bad on fuel, but its a small price to pay for the performance and the cheapness of the car to buy, u must be doing over 70 on the motorway. All ur call outs were for the same thing "burning rubber" keep the traction control on lol it was ur local dealer that was crap for not sorting it 1st time. The 182 will be worth way more than a bog o, in 2 years, and where the hell are u buying tyres? u can get some yoko's for £60 a tyre, no one said u have put the mitch back on. If u swap for a bog o, itll be a very bad mistake :dead: GET A GRIP

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
so you think a new shape, still teething probs 1.4 clio is going to be any better. you will end up thrashing it so much you wont do much better than 35mpg, and youll miss hte power so much, you will end up flogging in 6 months and buying another clio sport. and losing more money. madness! think u just got a unlucky one. both mine have been good as gold

1.5dci
azzer2000 said:
M8, get a grip and give ur self a slap, U dont swap a 182 for a bog o clio. Yeah, maybe its a little bad on fuel, but its a small price to pay for the performance and the cheapness of the car to buy, u must be doing over 70 on the motorway. All ur call outs were for the same thing "burning rubber" keep the traction control on lol it was ur local dealer that was crap for not sorting it 1st time. The 182 will be worth way more than a bog o, in 2 years, and where the hell are u buying tyres? u can get some yoko's for £60 a tyre, no one said u have put the mitch back on. If u swap for a bog o, itll be a very bad mistake :dead: GET A GRIP

I know where this guy is coming from. If you are doing a lot of miles in your 182, it soon adds up to a big bill.
Found myself in the same boat in November. Yes in some ways i do regret getting rid of the 182, but dont have to worry about where the next fuel stop is anymore ;)

Focus RS, 182 gone
Ok, so maybe its a little worse on fuel. Try driving a scooby or evo, or my mates supra, then ull know what fuel bills are. 182 are surley worth the extra £7 a week on fuel, cus that roughly how much extra it costs me compared to my old saxo VTS.

1.5dci
azzer2000 said:
.... 182 are surley worth the extra £7 a week on fuel, cus that roughly how much extra it costs me compared to my old saxo VTS.

Fair point, wish my 182 cost only £7 a week more for me to get to work... i'd still have it now :(

RB182cup&golf gti
i can understand you wanting rid with that many warranty claims - i had a similar amount of claims on my last car which was a saxo vts - i was so sick of the car and the dealer that i chose not to get another citroen and wont be doing so again. so i wouldnt get another clio personally - colour wise, grey sounds nice :)

Focus RS, 182 gone
hoe261 said:
i can understand you wanting rid with that many warranty claims - i had a similar amount of claims on my last car which was a saxo vts - i was so sick of the car and the dealer that i chose not to get another citroen and wont be doing so again. so i wouldnt get another clio personally - colour wise, grey sounds nice :)

Yeah, VTS had a lot of nigles, Air bag light, ABS, nothing to serious tho, but the engine would take a serious hammering

Shhh
Its not just a simple trip down the road. Its 340mile each weekend. I get paid £1200 ish a month after tax, NI, food, accom etc taken out. Thats what i have to spend a month. Spend £240 a month on loan for the car, car insurance and bike insurance is paid off. Mobile phone bill is about £40-70 a month depending on txts, calls, internet use. The rest is spent on weekends and fuel. Never have any cash spare for me, or to save. If i fill the car up on a friday, im filling it up again on sunday. So i average about £80-£100 a weekend on fuel. I just dont sit still in the car at the weekend, i drive about too. If i go out fri & sat then add another £120 ish on top of that a weekend, if im at joannes i may go out a little less. The roads i drive are woodhead, and the caistor highway, followed by the a1.

The 182 was practical for when i drove maybe 60 mile a week, and weekend..tho now @340 each way, maybe more if i drive to chester...then its not an option.

Yes i have the Exaltos fitted, tho i do use the grip well. I chase bikers down these roads, and have been known to catch them and overtake.

I find myself getting faster and faster. The car has had issues, its had many faults and were close to getting within the last years warranty. It prob needs new front tyres soon, needs the bumper painting, needs new pads and disks on the front, and then possibly new rears. Also i forgot to mention that the 36k service is due soon.. so thats a little more than maybe £1000 to be spent out. Im £1600 overdrawn, owe £1200 on credit cards. Have been thinking about getting rid of the car for a few months. Not been able to get out the overdraft with the car, so something has to go. Its either the car goes, or the bike goes. And the car is going. This way i get a smaller cheaper to run car (after all we can only go as fast as the guy in front) and possibly save cash to reduce the overdraft. Clio is worth prob £8000, i owe £5300.

Another option is to try shift the car on eBay, then take the £8000 to the auctions and buy something there with me uncles traders account.

Shhh
I also forgot to mention that i often am 20-30mph over the speed limit on some roads. Thats where i see 26mpg. Cant see myself sitting at 60 as when i slow down its like im parked.

So another reason to get rid. This way i blend in with mr grey, than a Racing Blue 182 with stripes. I had a police car come up to me the other day, and check me details for the first time in owning the car. Guess im young with a chav'd up clio...and they thought it was stolen.

Focus RS, 182 gone
So really ur getting rid, becase u cant afford it, if u budget ur finance better, ud afford it easy, i take less than that home